Post-Game Talk: Don't wanna let us wearing our Red Home Jersey? No Problem Mr Dundon... (Canes 4-6 Habs)

POTG (13/12/2018)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Actually no..you don't ''have'' to, and it would be stupid to do so. This team ain't winning crap. Why the hell would we waste an asset when we know we won't win.

It's not a all or nothing situation. We have a ton of draft picks and prospects. If a team calls about a prospect or a draft pick is on the table that you feel is replacable or redundant and you can get a LHD out of it you have to consider it. To not even consider it as you obviously want them to, you're just being hard headed and would be grounds for being fired IMO.

So hopefully MB listens to you and gets canned :sarcasm:

Also, let's be clear. If the Habs make the PO, lose in 5 to Tampa or Toronto or something there will be a large number of the same people in here right now complaining about the Habs maybe making a move that will say "what was the point in even making the PO????" It's a no win situation.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
there is a fundamental difference between not maximizing profits and losing money. The montreal canadiens could not lose money if geoff molson sold pay per view tickets of him and the managment taking turns defiling nuns.

they HAVE developed their product properly, if you think that this is arizona or sunrise and starving the beast will work, you are delusional.

what happens on the ice, and what happens at the bank are two FUNDAMENTALLY different things that should no be conflated.
Not sure what you're arguing. The on-ice product is obviously connected to the larger org. The team sucked last year and it affected revenue in tickets, merch, advertising, media. Obviously, the organization will continue being a money-maker no matter how lousy the team is. We all know that. But like any big org, you don't simply coast on your reputation. There are always changes, adjustments, and a balance of short & long term goals.

How much concern does the board have for the on-ice product's chance at a Cup? No way to know. But at least some concern. After last season's disaster, there could've been a directive to go for short-term fixes by getting UFAs or making a big trade, which is what they've done almost every year. But they didn't do that. Instead, they responded by doing exactly what I was describing -- sacrificing short-term gain and investing in the future. Pacioretty was traded for a key prospect (Tatar being an unexpected bonus). Alzner and his salary was let go. Most of our defence has been a turnstile of developing kids. There appears to be a shift towards longer-term team building. While Bergevin talks about playoffs -- probably because he has to keep the hype alive -- his actions indicate a more patient, strategic plan than we've seen the last six years. Hopefully he stays the course, and hopefully the brass in the suits are onboard with missing the playoffs, in service of a better future.

Le compétiteur

Pretty silly right?..Maybe that's because you leave out a very important middle line...

HF: our D is putrid

Also HF: we need to rebuild

Again HF: Move Petry (as he's peaking and not part of the rebuild plan)

why look at that...makes sense now.

Please tell me, what Petry can return in a trade? A pick and a prospect?

Most likely a cup contenter so it mean a late 1st round pick ( 40% chance to be NHLer and 10% chance to be a impact player) and as for the prospect, most likely someone 1-2 years away of NHL with, at best 2nd line/2nd pairing potential.

As a cup contenter would most likely be near cap we would need to take a cap dump.

I may have lack of hockey knowledge but I fail to see how a cap dump, a late first and a B prospect would help the team more then Petry.... we know what Petry give and that is most likely more then what a cap dump a late first and a prospect can give ...

Trading Petry may end up making the Habs a worst team.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Actually no..you don't ''have'' to, and it would be stupid to do so. This team ain't winning crap. Why the hell would we waste an asset when we know we won't win.

Oh but yes we do. We really really do.

You want to rebuild, but it ain't happening.
I want Bergevin gone, but it ain't happening.

Now what do we do with a team who are sitting in 6th place in their division and that's mostly without their #1 D for most of the season and an AHL squad on LD?

I would certainly 100% agree that no assets should be thrown away for rentals but for a hockey trade, they should and they probably will. And it might be stupid to do so but that's what it will take to get what you actually wants, cause the only way to start a real rebuild is by firing Bergevin. There's no way around this.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I want to unload Domi?? Since when? Tell me more...I think..I want Kotkaniemi moved too?

Weber is the guy I've been suggesting the most we should move, and I said we should look to get Ott's or Stl's first from Colorado or Buffalo. Apparently though, I now want Domi traded and Weber moved for a late first rd pick...
Dude, you flat out invent things.
A first round pick for the best Defender in the league, with the most dangerous shot, who’s stare could strike fear into the heart of the most experienced warrior? No thank you. A fist round pick is like trading him for a piece of shit.

You know Bergy ain’t trading Weber, why not just be realistic and come up with realistic ways of moving forward.

Reactions: Milhouse40

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning of posters that think we will do anything other than be swept in the first round of the playoffs if we even make them.
P.S. Make the playoffs and anything can happen is not a valid argument.
Well, we did beat the Caps and Pens that one playoff run, so there is some validity to the statement, but it's a long shot for sure.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning of posters that think we will do anything other than be swept in the first round of the playoffs if we even make them.

Go look at the Metro division standings, not exactly a murderers row there. If they can avoid the Atlantic Division they can probably be competetive.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'd trade Petry for someone like Suzuki. Petry is wasted on this squad. He'll be too old by the time he can help us win something.

How in the world is Petry wasted? He will be too old? He will be Weber's age when his contract ends!

Now, the danger is : Bergevin throws away the long term plan again and decides to have fun with the upcoming draft picks or prospects in favor of another short term solution at the blue line. A la 2012-13.

When exactly he actually did this?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You're probably right, but it would still be fun to drag Toronto to a 7th game and watch everybody in Toronto lose their shit.

But the question should really be, would it be more fun or any better to miss the PO by 2-3 points?

Reactions: scrubadam

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I dont think montreal will win in the playoffs. However, anything can happen in the playoffs. Remember 2010 when washington had 33 more points then the habs and montreal beat them. Then went on and beat the penguins. You never know.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This whole post makes the, faulty, assumption that the only spot up for grabs is the last wildcard spot. I see no reason to suggest that Boston is a lock for the first wildcard spot, nor do I think Buffalo is firmly in that third seed considering the only reason they are really there is because of that crazy run they had.

Boston has been hanging in despite missing some key players. Their prospects are excellent to move up.

It's actually buffalo that I think will eventually lose the divisional seed. They are a team that's hardest to gauge, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt to keep a playoff spot.

I think they will ride that buffer built by a 10 game win streak right to a playoff berth.

I don't think these are out of world type of assumptions.

Last edited:

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Cool man...can't wait to see us follow the same strategy we've had for years that have lead us to 0 finals in 25 years. Smart move. Tell me more about Family Guy and memes please.

Having centers of Domi,Kotka,Suzuki and Poehling’s caliber i would say their strategy is very different then the last 25 years

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Youre talking like the only way to go, sell guys like Petry,Byron,Shaw vs prospects/picks.. Why not try to acquire a guy like Parayko,Lindholm, Fowler,Edmunson,Tarasenko who are still gonna be in their prime when we should be cup contender in 2 or 3 years?? If You acquire picks/prospects, usually they wont be ready to contribute before 4-5 years.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure what you're arguing. The on-ice product is obviously connected to the larger org. The team sucked last year and it affected revenue in tickets, merch, advertising, media. Obviously, the organization will continue being a money-maker no matter how lousy the team is. We all know that. But like any big org, you don't simply coast on your reputation. There are always changes, adjustments, and a balance of short & long term goals.

How much concern does the board have for the on-ice product's chance at a Cup? No way to know. But at least some concern. After last season's disaster, there could've been a directive to go for short-term fixes by getting UFAs or making a big trade, which is what they've done almost every year. But they didn't do that. Instead, they responded by doing exactly what I was describing -- sacrificing short-term gain and investing in the future. Pacioretty was traded for a key prospect (Tatar being an unexpected bonus). Alzner and his salary was let go. Most of our defence has been a turnstile of developing kids. There appears to be a shift towards longer-term team building. While Bergevin talks about playoffs -- probably because he has to keep the hype alive -- his actions indicate a more patient, strategic plan than we've seen the last six years. Hopefully he stays the course, and hopefully the brass in the suits are onboard with missing the playoffs, in service of a better future.
So lots of words to say the claim that the Habs would lose money was a crock of crap?

Noted.

If the Habs can print money year after year, why the hell would they chase some uncertainty that could upset the cart.

It would be nice if Molson was a very rich fan, but that's not his role. Not now, not ever.

His job is to protect revenues and there is nothing more protective that doing what you have always done to be able to print money.

You think that if he keeps the Uber conservative path that it will piss off enough fans to affect his bottom line?

Good luck with that.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So lots of words to say the claim that the Habs would lose money was a crock of crap?

Noted.

If the Habs can print money year after year, why the hell would they chase some uncertainty that could upset the cart.

It would be nice if Molson was a very rich fan, but that's not his role. Not now, not ever.

His job is to protect revenues and there is nothing more protective that doing what you have always done to be able to print money.

You think that if he keeps the Uber conservative path that it will piss off enough fans to affect his bottom line?

Good luck with that.
The two biggest markets, Toronto and New York, say you're wrong. Both franchises actively and publicly did exactly what I'm suggesting Montreal do.

Reactions: habsfan891

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This whole post makes the, faulty, assumption that the only spot up for grabs is the last wildcard spot. I see no reason to suggest that Boston is a lock for the first wildcard spot, nor do I think Buffalo is firmly in that third seed considering the only reason they are really there is because of that crazy run they had.

I don't believe in Buffalo yet, if any team can fall and implode at any point its them. They drafted first last year for a reason. They have a streak the other way (lose 8 in a row) and they tumble down.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yeah the Kulak experiment with Weber isn't working out.

giphy.gif

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I would like the NHL to end the notion of draft order based on previous year standing. Just make it a full lottery. This would forever end this debate. Imagine never having to argue about whether a team should try for playoffs. The salary cap already imposes enough of a redistribution of talent.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well yes but there's 5 months left of regular season hockey a lot can change between now and then. I see no reason why we can't pass Boston/Buffalo/NYI whoever is in the last wild card spot.
Fair opinion I don't expect us to pass any of them though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad