Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I don’t know if I’m late to the party but how likely does Kane win the Hart if this team does squeak in the playoffs? Even if they don’t make it he’s been incredibly impressive this season.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t know if I’m late to the party but how likely does Kane win the Hart if this team does squeak in the playoffs? Even if they don’t make it he’s been incredibly impressive this season.
If the Hawks make the playoffs and the oilers don’t, I’m fairly confident he wins the Hart. This year it should really be between McDavid, Kane and Gibson who is the only player worth a damn on the Ducks.

Whoever’s team makes the playoffs wins the Hart trophy. No chance a Flame or a Lightning player comes away with it.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
3 points from the Wildcard
3 points from being last in the West
what a wild season....there are like 4 good teams in the west. Hawks need another good 6-7 game win streak to get themselves a shot. The games in hand and number of teams is tough.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

If Hawks actually make the playoffs and he's top 3 in scoring, I think he wins the Hart.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks play 9 games now before the Trade Deadline...

If we can win 7/9 or 14/19 points we would be at 65 points with 19 games remaining after the Trade Deadline on Feb 25th...hard to say what the last wildcard would need in points to win that spot ...but if we got 28/38 points in the last 19 games that is 93 points...enough to get last playoff spot? Sling a lot to get 28 out of 38 points or win 14/19...but or from now win 21 of 28 games remaing ...this means our margin for losing is to lose no more than 7 games of the final 28...this is a thin margin for us being abe to squander chances to win ...

But it is what it is....let us play it in sections....

7/9;7/9;7/10....or 7/9;7/10;7/9...either way tall order but not impossible.

This assuming 93 points needed to get in.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Same with Gus

Holding onto Gus when his value is highest would be a blunder by Stanley

He is still the awful defender he always has been only difference is JC simply turns blind eye to his defensive failings and blames others instead

Look at how he treated the far superior Joker

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Same with Gus

He is still the awful defender he always has been only difference is JC simply turns blind eye to his defensive failings and blames others instead

Gus is tough to evaluate. You can't deny his greatness at PP1. I don't think that's going to change. Gus is under contract for 1.5 years. With our power play, Gus is not going to fall off the cliff. Time is on the Hawks side. We don't have to deal him by this deadline.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't care if the Hawks go undefeated before the trade deadline, the team should absolutely not be buyers and we should absolutely sell our expiring contracts (Kruger, Kunitz, etc.).

If they can find a decent deal for AA (or, no way in hell but still if they could) Seabrook, you need to make the deal.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Same with Gus

blah, blah, blah is all I see here.

Gus is not an awful defender. But I'm not going to continue arguing why with people who can't see it for themselves. No one is turning a blind eye, or blaming anyone else. Care to point out how you think JC is blaming others? :laugh:

How he treated the far superior Joker? Joker is 19, and was being manhandled on a daily basis here. He didn't treat him poorly. He treated him like a coach should treat young, developing players. Gus has been benched by JC, btw... and healthy scratched, as well, IIRC.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hawks would be ridiculously stupid to trade Gus.
I like Gus. You guys know hockey more than I. To the untrained eye, he looks pretty good. I know he has a brain fart of two on the defensive end but can't that be corrected? He's a poor man's Phil Housley on PP1. I think Gus can be a great PP1 and an okay #4 DMen with some improvement.

IMO keeping Gus is about what he demands on his next contract. Apart from that, I think he should be part of our future.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Same with Gus

It would be completely stupid to trade Gus...the logic here is let’s trade him for a first round pick because that pick is guaranteed to be better than Gus. The PP was an absolute joke prior to these last 5-10 games. Gus is the first PP qb we’ve had in a while. Boquist is aways off right now. Btw Kane I can tell loves playing with Gus. The way those two set up are great. Let’s not trade everybody that our star player loves.

Reactions: southernbeardown54

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It would be completely stupid to trade Gus...the logic here is let’s trade him for a first round pick because that pick is guaranteed to be better than Gus. The PP was an absolute joke prior to these last 5-10 games. Gus is the first PP qb we’ve had in a while. Boquist is aways off right now. Btw Kane I can tell loves playing with Gus. The way those two set up are great. Let’s not trade everybody that our star player loves.

It has been longer than 5 or 10 games, I believe. It goes back to the end of December. But your point still stands, and I agree.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd be all sorts of pissed if the Hawks give up anything significant at the TDL. The last 20 games they're obviously looking like a better team but they're still so so so so so far away from a good team. Stan, or more realistically McD, pushing to trade our first or second rounder to go get a deadline rental for an absolutely meaningless playoff push (and the subsequent playoff revenue) would be criminal.

The Hawks should still be tanking for Hughes/Kakko. It's looking like they're too good to finish that low in the standings but they should still trade off any excess they can before the deadline (Kunitz/Kruger/Anisimov) and finish out the season playing strong but hopefully not winning a lot of games. If Saad isn't in the longterm plans then they should move him out as well. If they keep winning like they are and somehow squeak into the playoffs, excellent. I can't be a good Hawks fan and be upset with a playoff appearance. It'll probably be a really good experience for the young guys and for JC. But they absolutely should not make any trades as buyers. They're too far away from being a good team to do that

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hawks should only "add" if it's for beyond this year. Rentals don't make any sense. I'm all for the team getting hot and making the playoffs, but it would be short sighted to give up anything of value for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad