Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yes, Laz, we know you don't think the Hawks should have fired Quenneville. You've spared no moment to tell the world that since the day it happened. Enough with it. f*** me.

This organization has many problems and holes, but I still don't understand how someone can not see Quenneville as ONE of said problems for THIS organization at THIS time.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yes, Laz, we know you don't think the Hawks should have fired Quenneville. You've spared no moment to tell the world that since the day it happened. Enough with it. **** me.

This organization has many problems and holes, but I still don't understand how someone can not see Quenneville as ONE of said problems for THIS organization at THIS time.
Yeah my exact thoughts. Guys beat that horse enough.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
This throws away next year. Doesn’t make much sense to do that with a big UFA class and a ton of cap space. Need to give JC, 19/88/12/17/2 etc a chance to have a full camp and see what they look like next year. Everybody that can be moved has term. Theres no rush.
No it doesn’t, it’s getting rid of the dead weight so the Hawks can retool properly without screwing their cap up all over. The whole point is to move them before they become unmoveable.

Once again, we need the defense to at least look a little different next year, because they aren’t good enough this year, and the same players won’t be good enough next year. We might have won a few games, but the defense is still terrible, you should know this by watching the games. Winning like the Hawks are is unsustainable the way they play.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Yes, Laz, we know you don't think the Hawks should have fired Quenneville. You've spared no moment to tell the world that since the day it happened. Enough with it. **** me.

He's a pathetic writer. I can't believe people enjoy his stuff. His recent articles have been almost exclusively puff pieces/off ice stories that are obvious to anyone who has followed the NHL for a couple years.

Even his pieces where he offers his "analysis" it's just pathetic how little he understands the game.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No it doesn’t, it’s getting rid of the dead weight so the Hawks can retool properly without screwing their cap up all over. The whole point is to move them before they become unmoveable.

Once again, we need the defense to at least look a little different next year, because they aren’t good enough this year, and the same players won’t be good enough next year. We might have won a few games, but the defense is still terrible, you should know this by watching the games. Winning like the Hawks are is unsustainable the way they play.

Removing Keith doesn't make this defense better next year.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Removing Keith doesn't make this defense better next year.
Keeping him doesn’t make us contenders, or even a playoff team, like so many people believe. It’s about looking towards the future, and making sure we get out from under his contract. If he waives of course

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Keeping him doesn’t make us contenders, or even a playoff team, like so many people believe. It’s about looking towards the future, and making sure we get out from under his contract. If he waives of course

His contract isn't a problem. Keith has the 26th highest cap hit for a defenseman. His contract isn't preventing the Hawks from anything.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Odds of them making playoffs go up a lot with a full year of JC and utilizing the cap space they have. Trade Anisimov as JC clearly doesnt see him as a viable center and replace him with Evan Barratt. Other than that stand pat on Gus, Keith, Saad etc

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Odds of them making playoffs go up a lot with a full year of JC and utilizing the cap space they have. Trade Anisimov as JC clearly doesnt see him as a viable center and replace him with Evan Barratt. Other than that stand pat on Gus, Keith, Saad etc
So be it, remember this conversation when the defense next year is the exact same and the Hawks are desperately fighting the second wildcard trying to convince themselves that they’re “contenders”.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So be it, remember this conversation when the defense next year is the exact same and the Hawks are desperately fighting the second wildcard trying to convince themselves that they’re “contenders”.

If the Hawks were stuck in this mentality Boqvist would be with another team, JvR would be a Hawk and Faulk would be as well. Bowman and company seem to understand they’re not contenders

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If the Hawks were stuck in this mentality Boqvist would be with another team, JvR would be a Hawk and Faulk would be as well. Bowman and company seem to understand they’re not contenders
I hope you're right. Its messy right now. Panarin is nowhere close to a guarantee. If bowman whiffs on free agency, it's going to be a long couple of years.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I hope you're right. Its messy right now. Panarin is nowhere close to a guarantee. If bowman whiffs on free agency, it's going to be a long couple of years.

For sure. Another avenue will be the trade market. Some have mentioned Tampa as a team to trade with (JT Miller). For the first time in a while the Hawks will be in a position to add salary when other teams need to shed.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I doubt very much that the defense will be exactly the same next year as it is this year. The defense is starting to improve and some of the defense will get better. No doubt we will see at least a couple of new faces on defense next year. I can see Bowman entertaining trade offers for Gus, Saad, Hayden, etc. but only make trades that will help the Hawks as he knows his job is on the line. Bowman is not pressured to make any trades by the deadline so he can really play hard ball. How badly does a playoff team want Gus or Saad? The trade deadline is going to be really interesting this year and especially for the Hawks as they have trade chips and no pressure to make a trade as no trade will make them a cup contender this year. The big thng is for Bowman to work on getting more draft picks. The more picks a team has the better the chance of hitting the jackpot or close to it on one of their draft picks.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

upload_2019-2-4_20-27-32.gif

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016

Sounds a little like BWC to me

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Zawaski said in his latest podcast that he has heard Hawks will sell.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Zawaski said in his latest podcast that he has heard Hawks will sell.
At a bare minimum they should be working the phones to dump Kunitz and Kruger for anything.

Will be interesting to see if there are bigger trades afoot with Anisimov, Saad, Keith, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
They don't need a phone for that, they just need paper to make the transaction and they will be on a bus to Rockford.
They both have NMC’s though. They would probably be more amenable to a trade then riding the bus in the AHL

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
At a bare minimum they should be working the phones to dump Kunitz and Kruger for anything.

Will be interesting to see if there are bigger trades afoot with Anisimov, Saad, Keith, etc

Kruger and Kunitz will bring back assets, especially since we can retain on them. Maybe just a 4th or 5th, but it’s still another lottery ticket for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00