Don't look now, but.. we're in a playoff spot!

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
even without spezza ?

Yes, sorry but its true. They have a goalie who is playing lights out for them, they have the best offensive defencmen in the game, not to mention loads of grit/heart in their bottom 6. I'm no sens fan, never will cheer for them BUT even I can admit they are superior to us right now.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Why have this thread? :facepalm:

We are 7 games into the season, that's just over 1/7th of the season. There is nothing to get excited about yet. C'mon man...

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Let's just keep playing the way we are playing and only make a trade if we are already in a playoff spot (even then, hesitate). Otherwise wherever we end up is where we end up and I am happy regardless.

Also: SAY NO TO LUONGO:yo:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
yes we are in a playoff spot and about to play the Bruins. we'll all be back down to reality in 24 hrs..

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
bruins lost to the sabers

we outplayed buffalo twice

im not saying were going to win

but we could win on any given night

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
bruins lost to the Sabres

we outplayed buffalo twice

im not saying were going to win

but we could win on any given night

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I figure we're 2 players shy of a perennial contender, center and goalie. This year's draft has 7 potential cornerstone players so it wouldn't surprise me that TO makes the playoffs this year missing out on all that premium potential and then facing next year with the same doubts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I figure we're 2 players shy of a perennial contender, center and goalie. This year's draft has 7 potential cornerstone players so it wouldn't surprise me that TO makes the playoffs this year missing out on all that premium potential and then facing next year with the same doubts.

That sounds about right, but if we do make the playoffs and the kids are growing, that also means that we would have found those center and goalie pieces internally also.

At this point, if Kadri and Reimer turn into those pieces, the organization might be better served than if everybody wet the bed once again, and we had to pin all of our hopes on an 18 year old kid to make things right again.

I'm all for building through the draft, but if those Lindholm, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin level prospects pan out at the pace of B Schenn, Colin Wilson, Hodgson, etc. we're going to be in a world of hurt until the 2020s...

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
That sounds about right, but if we do make the playoffs and the kids are growing, that also means that we would have found those center and goalie pieces internally also.

At this point, if Kadri and Reimer turn into those pieces, the organization might be better served than if everybody wet the bed once again, and we had to pin all of our hopes on an 18 year old kid to make things right again.

I'm all for building through the draft, but if those Lindholm, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin level prospects pan out at the pace of B Schenn, Colin Wilson, Hodgson, etc. we're going to be in a world of hurt until the 2020s...

Even Columbus made the playoffs 1 year and therefore any optimism they had the next year proved unfounded.

We may not make the playoffs next year with say McKinnon but we would all know that a bright future is just around the corner. Counting on Kadri, Frattin, Kostka, Reimer and Scrivens being the foundation of TO's future just doesn't do it for me.
I may be wrong and I hope I'm wrong, God I hope I'm wrong.

Urban Explorer*

Threads like this make our fan base look like a joke. For real.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Threads like this make our fan base look like a joke. For real.

I can think of something else that makes our fan based look like a joke... and it isn't this thread.

I mean it isn't like he is saying anything other then we are above 8th, not bragging, not saying we are in, just a general comment. Worth a thread, probably not. But stop acting like he is killing babies.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Perennial contender for what?

POs or cup?

SteveV*

Lol at guys saying its too early to look at standings, a normal season would be half over now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Yup, there are 3 things that likely could happen this year.

2 have a positive position and 1 is a horrible outcome.

We make the POs, thats a good, it means the youth is rounding into shape and is starting to handle the bigger pressure games to go along with their ability's.

We crap the bed out and add a blue chip prospect, for me thats also good.

The bad, we turn into a tweener, not good enough for the POs but good enough to be out of the prime draft real-estate.

At least the % odds are in our favor for a positive outcome this year.

ForSpareParts*

Yup, there are 3 things that likely could happen this year.

2 have a positive position and 1 is a horrible outcome.

We make the POs, thats a good, it means the youth is rounding into shape and is starting to handle the bigger pressure games to go along with their ability's.

We crap the bed out and add a blue chip prospect, for me thats also good.

The bad, we turn into a tweener, not good enough for the POs but good enough to be out of the prime draft real-estate.

At least the % odds are in our favor for a positive outcome this year.

I don't understand this. If we make the playoffs it shows that we're on the upswing, but is 8th good enough? That doesn't put us in a good draft position, but it doesn't exactly mean that we will potentially become world beaters.

The players available in this draft don't guarantee franchise players, championships, or helping the leafs in the short-term.

If it is so important to be drafting high why would we worry about trying to lose as hard as we can. A player like Grabo, Kessel, Dion, maybe even Kadri could get us in the mix. Players can be had and so can draft positions.

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
Why have this thread? :facepalm:

We are 7 games into the season, that's just over 1/7th of the season. There is nothing to get excited about yet. C'mon man...

To remind people next season that we were at playoff contention at some point this season, and then fell off the chart due to unforeseen circumstances.

People who don't believe that we'll be a playoff team next season, will be referred to this thread.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm as much a advocate of traditional building as much as anybody, and in 2008, I would have loved nothing more than to have done a 4 year tank job and walked away with Stamkos, Tavares, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins or whatever while we were in the basement.

If the team tanks again this year, we could potentially walk away with another Morgan Rielly level prospect, preferably at center, which would be a real boon, but it would also mean that the majority of the pieces on this roster failed in some way, which kind of signals an even larger problem.

So while I wouldn't mind getting Mackinnon in a tank job, I am more concerned about what that means for the group as a whole as opposed to when we would have been tanking during a traditional tear down phase of a rebuild.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Huh? Either your math stinks, or I have no idea what you're talking about there Willis.

He means, end of January means half the season is done in other year. But clearly, that doesn't make any sense here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad