Don't look now, but.. we're in a playoff spot!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
What is scary is that we really could have been the top team in the conference had the Leafs been able to hold on to 2 2-goal leads.

I think most around here predicted we'd be a basement dweller this season, but there is no reason we shouldn't be competitive for a 6-8 seed.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Whoop dee doo. It's 7 games into the season.

I don't mean to be an ass, it's good and all that we're in 8th, but I won't get excited until I see that little "x" beside Toronto in the standings.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The standings don't mean much of anything until about the 75% mark of the season.

Case in point, last season. :help:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
i believe at the 48 game mark last year, Leafs were sitting in a playoff spot as well.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=CON&date=01/24/2012

January 24th last season we were at 48 game mark, had 53 points, and were sitting in 9th.

It's a good start. But it's a small sample size. We play Boston Saturday, if we lose that, Pittsburgh/Buffalo/NYR/Winnipeg are all playing either tomorrow or Saturday, so we could jump right back out.

Small sample size means 1 game you can move up or down like 2-4 spots in the standings. I'll wait until the ~20 game mark, and even then it's pretty early (but due to the shortened season, it's more significant than it would be otherwise).

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Yay, it was a good game last night but this is pretty early to be on the standings watch.

Can we agree to keep people off the main boards proclaiming the "Leafs are for real" this season until we have about 4 games left this season? Why give the other fanbases fodder?

leafspring*

The team is fast enough to be a counter punch/defensive team. Hopefully any roster changes that might occure by Nonis is with the intention of giving a defensive identity back to the Franchise.

I mean that in the most concrete of terms in that it should be our trademark of all future teams.Would be awsome to have that back.

Good we are sitting inside a play-off spot,but we still aren't getting Carlyle's system.

Late in the game with leads if you watch for this,you will see offensive plays that are dangerous,and telling. Last night i seen it again(who or what line doesn't matter)but the puck should have been ate on the boards.

A centering pass to the front(from behind the net) turned the puck back. We gave up 200 feet of ice to soon(meaning the Capitals didn't have to work for it) at a critical point. That should not be happening. Period.

High risk plays need to be minimized,and eliminated when we are leading at critical points.Carlyle will improve this awareness aspect,but its tough to sit,and watch at present.

Defense first,and the team rises up the standings, i would think anyways.

MajorityRules*

Kinda early for this thread don't ya think? Lets see where we stand in March.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
What is scary is that we really could have been the top team in the conference had the Leafs been able to hold on to 2 2-goal leads.

I think most around here predicted we'd be a basement dweller this season, but there is no reason we shouldn't be competitive for a 6-8 seed.

Really?:shakehead

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I don't mean to be an ass, it's good and all that we're in 8th, but I won't get excited until I see that little "x" beside Toronto in the standings.

7th or a 3 way tie for 6th ignoring tie breakers*

I agree it is only 7 games, but no need to be down on ourselves about it. Just be happy we are playing well and winning games. Because when a thread like this pops up it gets me worried about a losing streak. Just feels like a jinx thread.

Roboholic

Sep 21, 2005

I'm not saying they are going to make the playoffs...

But I will point out that 7 games is almost 15% of the season is over.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I'm not saying they are going to make the playoffs...

But I will point out that 7 games is almost 15% of the season is over.

SLAYER.gif

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
What happened to the Leafs aren't good enough threads? Oh yeah that's was last weeks news. I'm sure the sky will be falling again the next time they loose.

Relax the team isn't as bad as the media says it is. They have lots of speed and skill and depth up front and on the blue line with mediocre goaltending and not enough experience and toughness in key positions. That's what we have and it's not going to change every time we win or loose. We really aren't that far away from contending and there is no reason to blow anything up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
7th or a 3 way tie for 6th ignoring tie breakers*

I agree it is only 7 games, but no need to be down on ourselves about it. Just be happy we are playing well and winning games. Because when a thread like this pops up it gets me worried about a losing streak. Just feels like a jinx thread.

I don't mean to come off as down about anything. I'm glad we've been winning, the past two games have been exciting. I just think it's a little early to be patting ourselves on the back. I also worry about these threads jinxing us. Hell I made a post (not even a thread) a couple of years ago saying "Isn't it great how we don't have to worry when we're on the PK anymore?" Then our PK plummeted to last, as usual.

Neas Olc

Registered Abuser
Mar 22, 2011
Toronto
Plan the parade! Boy is this fanbase bipolar. Wasn't it a few days ago that the hottest topic was "blow it up"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad