GBU Don't let the Sabres get hot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The Six Week Slumber Party (good YA book title, btw) certainly put them behind all the 8 balls. Realistically, getting in is a very tall task. Hopefully the team is learning, in or out of the playoffs, that they need to play like this all the time if they truly want to be successful. I have cautious hope next year's story is different.
I just hope they don't have a "flip the switch mentality" next year. I much prefer the military quote that goes something like "we don't rise to the occasion, we sink to our level of preparation"

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
IMG_0390.jpeg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Especially after that ill-advised challenge. Wtf was his reasoning there?

U: a certain islanders fan still posting Sabre fanbase hate because we once cheered about getting either Eichel or McDavid, 9 years ago!!!!

No but it won't help. Almost every other team has more games in hand than we do. We are far from out of the woods.

And mad I said I wanted John Tavares to get pregnant so he would miss rest of season making our Pick we got for Vanek better

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I just hope they don't have a "flip the switch mentality" next year.

Definitely saw a lot of that 'flip the switch' thing early on. I think the term multiple players and Granato were using was 'runway'. Lots of runway, it's a long runway, throughout Oct Nov Dec. It was Clifton who said, 'just have to get to .500.' That has to change. It has to be 'damn, we have to start playing consistently better, now!' It comes down to leadership and coaching imo.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah, great game and nice streak. Most NHL teams have nice little streaks.

I feel no different now than I did a month ago.
If they win at Detroit next game, it wouldn't be just some little streak...it would be the longest win streak of the SEASON! An entire four games in a row, never before seen by a Sabres club in 2024!!!

If there's a better way at being mediocre, I have yet to see it.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
They have looked dominant the past 2 important games. They also played 2 teams returning from the west coast.

Tomorrow afternoon could be more of a test and I fully expect the wings to goon it up at home if the Sabres are controlling play again. Buffalo has sometimes responded well and sometimes not against physical play.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
The two games against the Capitals and Red Wings, and the one against Philly are must wins. A single loss there and my hope is extinguished.

Other than that we can just pray that we win the majority while the other teams continue their free fall.

Ride UPL like there is no tomorrow.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
remember 2011 when that little goaltender Enroth miraculously backstopped us to our last playoff berth when we were well out of the picture in february? I do and it was glorious. I hope we can catch lightning in a bottle again.
Pegula boutht the team, and they began playing with an energy that was lacking all season. Does anyone remember how far out of it they were to start Feb? I was just thinking about it the other day. Don't ask me why...

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Obviously by my user name I live in Florida.....had 4 nephews (22-25 years old - 1 back visiting from Marines) come over for beer, wings and pizza to watch the game. Sat out on the lanai and had a fantastic time. Best game I've seen in quite a while.

The dynamic the triple threat on D is giving this team hasn't been seen in again, quite a while!

JJ stood out, UPL was very good but wasn't peppered. Where has the "there is the puck, go 'balls out' and get" mentality been?!?!?!

Reactions: DJN21 and Ehran

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Pegula boutht the team, and they began playing with an energy that was lacking all season. Does anyone remember how far out of it they were to start Feb? I was just thinking about it the other day. Don't ask me why...
Looks like Pegula was announced as owner in late february and the team went on a run right after that. That's part research and part my crappy memory. So grains of salt are required.

Reactions: Chainshot

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Obviously by my user name I live in Florida.....had 4 nephews (22-25 years old - 1 back visiting from Marines) come over for beer, wings and pizza to watch the game. Sat out on the lanai and had a fantastic time. Best game I've seen in quite a while.

The dynamic the triple threat on D is giving this team hasn't been seen in again, quite a while!

JJ stood out, UPL was very good but wasn't peppered. Where has the "there is the puck, go 'balls out' and get" mentality been?!?!?!
I've been trying to not be so negative but I don't know how they couldn't play even close to this level for most of the season

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been trying to not be so negative but I don't know how they couldn't play even close to this level for most of the season

That's where veteran teams find ways to manufacture wins, winning when they aren't 100%, are riddled with illness, or are just in the doldrums. Buffalo is still very young and the highs are joyful, manic rides while the lows are crushing. We can hope they're moving toward being more mature about how they play but they're still a very, very young team.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Can’t wait to see Bensons phantom penalties tomorrow.

Officiating was a shit show yet again. I thought the refs got their Benson hate out of their systems with that hooking call, but then they out-did themselves with the tripping call.

Watching Roy bitch about the interference call on Lee and complain about the lost challenge was really something too. That was the worst goal challenge I've ever seen.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
They have looked dominant the past 2 important games. They also played 2 teams returning from the west coast.

Tomorrow afternoon could be more of a test and I fully expect the wings to goon it up at home if the Sabres are controlling play again. Buffalo has sometimes responded well and sometimes not against physical play.
I just wish they could be more cool and cruel. They get way too emotional. I want them to inflict calculated pain instead.
We really need some high functioning sociopaths.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh, I forgot a U:

One of the Isles booth boys was a huge baby. He must've called Olofsson's goal lucky 3 or 4 times. He said he felt bad for the team on the PP goal against, and I thought theyre not feeling bad for themselves, so why are you?

He also complained any time an Islander fell with no penalty called. Due to watching streams, Ive watched quite a few away feeds. This one was one of the cringiest. Nashville, if I remember correctly, was one of my favorites. They know their stuff.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh, I forgot a U:

One of the Isles booth boys was a huge baby. He must've called Olofsson's goal lucky 3 or 4 times. He said he felt bad for the team on the PP goal against, and I thought theyre not feeling bad for themselves, so why are you?

He also complained any time an Islander fell with no penalty called. Due to watching streams, Ive watched quite a few away feeds. This one was one of the cringiest. Nashville, if I remember correctly, was one of my favorites. They know their stuff.

Butch Goring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad