GBU Don't let the Sabres get hot

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
20240314_234930.jpg

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Maybe the GBU's are bad luck. It seems like when we stopped caring around here they turned it on, now if we give them a little effort they might revert back to pumpkins.
They turned it on when they seen how good #4 made them (waiting for a Jerry Korab joke)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Pretty much everyone looked good (ok, maybe not Krebs; but Skinner looked a bit better than the last couple of games, as did JJP). This was one of Greenway's best game. I have no idea why Bakes was talking about moving him for probably a mid-level pick at the deadline. I rarely disagree with him, but I didn't get that take at all.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
This was one of Greenway's best game. I have no idea why Bakes was talking about moving him for probably a mid-level pick at the deadline. I rarely disagree with him, but I didn't get that take at all.
agreed 100%

have to upgrade on Krebs this summer imo as well.

Reactions: rams

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Girgs looks good on the 1st line - jamming plays up defensively, working hard on the the boards, getting involved physically.

Struggling to understand the suddenly consistent offensive puck support. Every time the puck squirts loose, or a Sabre loses a board battle to produce a 50-50 puck, there's a teammate right there to regain possession. All I can think of is they're playing with confidence, up on their toes more to get there first.

Although he was a bit lucky tonight, and looked confused a couple of times, UPL continues to shine.

Every line is playing desperate, playoff style hockey, where every shift counts. I don't know where that team has been all season, but give me more.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
NHL.com standings and scores sub-pages continue to return blank content for me. Been that way for months and saw another thread on that with others lamenting same issue. Clownshow. I don't know html code but I imagine a 15 year old can fix it. "hooray" for sporstnet.ca

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Has he entered the Vezina conversation?

Let's say he keeps this play up to close out the season
Certainly, if he keeps up this pace. He's climbed to 2.38 (tied 4th) while Bob and Hell have fallen to 2.32 and 2.33. Trending the right way but... one of Bob or Hell will definitely win it based on 48 wins vs UPL's current 22. The conversation becomes, how much of that is 'strong team defence vs a weak defensive team"? It's not an argument that's going to sway voters.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
First, you can’t use words we don’t understand.

Second, this is hockey. If superstition as an idea came to life as a form, it’d be an ice rink.

If the Sabres win next game, the GBUs can stay. If they lose, they are banished for the remainder of the season.
Isn't the season over as soon as they lose a game?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Pretty much everyone looked good (ok, maybe not Krebs; but Skinner looked a bit better than the last couple of games, as did JJP). This was one of Greenway's best game. I have no idea why Bakes was talking about moving him for probably a mid-level pick at the deadline. I rarely disagree with him, but I didn't get that take at all.
Greenway's a core guy in my book, and I want the world to know. Every time I watch this team he's driving possession, dominating the PK, throwing his body around, and he's someone other teams are probably iffy to mess with given his size.

He's a unicorn given his size and drive to win possession. Other players are buying into that mindset now; Greenway has been doing it damn near every game I watch. I don't want him going anywhere. He needs to be a Sabre until the wheel starts coming off.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Yeah, but I think many of us declared season over after almost every loss since december. The season will be over at least three more times until it's over then.

The Six Week Slumber Party (good YA book title, btw) certainly put them behind all the 8 balls. Realistically, getting in is a very tall task. Hopefully the team is learning, in or out of the playoffs, that they need to play like this all the time if they truly want to be successful. I have cautious hope next year's story is different.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The Six Week Slumber Party (good YA book title, btw) certainly put them behind all the 8 balls. Realistically, getting in is a very tall task. Hopefully the team is learning, in or out of the playoffs, that they need to play like this all the time if they truly want to be successful. I have cautious hope next year's story is different.
They didn't learn that lesson after last year?

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Joker had a few noticeable flubs, but overall we haven't seen this level of sustained, multi game, 60 minute hockey in a very very long time.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Not an excuse. A design flaw.

Can't disagree. But I will add that it's a flaw they seem to be aware of. Bringing in Tuch as a "young veteran" and EJ, as rough as he got toward the end. There are comments on both guys about their leadership, and I bet the 6 months with EJ was probably very valuable for both Dahlin and Power.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
G

Watching Roy's head explode...
Especially after that ill-advised challenge. Wtf was his reasoning there?

U: a certain islanders fan still posting Sabre fanbase hate because we once cheered about getting either Eichel or McDavid, 9 years ago!!!!

Isn't the season over as soon as they lose a game?
No but it won't help. Almost every other team has more games in hand than we do. We are far from out of the woods.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
We only have 67 points, so winning the next 15 straight only gets us to 97. I think we'll need 93 or 94 to make it, so you can only really lose one or two games, which is nearly a miracle-on-ice level stuff.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
We only have 67 points, so winning the next 15 straight only gets us to 97. I think we'll need 93 or 94 to make it, so you can only really lose one or two games, which is nearly a miracle-on-ice level stuff.
remember 2011 when that little goaltender Enroth miraculously backstopped us to our last playoff berth when we were well out of the picture in february? I do and it was glorious. I hope we can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
You're obviously not a superstitious person going back to GBU post-game threads in the middle of a hot streak.

It'll be good we now will have someone to blame.

1710513776438.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad