Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Leafs make their own big move

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
With a 40 goal rookie season do you think he was dragging him down. Is 40 not enough?

It's not the goals. Hyman had the third most high danger % chances in the NHL. How many points did he score? Matthews primarily assisted on almost all of them.

We need someone who can bury his set ups. Matthews could have been PPG if Hyman buried half of the assists Matthews handed to him.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
With a 40 goal rookie season do you think he was dragging him down. Is 40 not enough?

In a way yes he held Matthews back. Too many passing plays died on Hymans stick. If Hyman had softer hands he would have been in the 20 goal range

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He's okay with Hyman. But Hyman had the 3rd highest high danger scoring chances in the league last year, behind McDavid and Matthews, and scored 10 goals total. Credit to Hyman for being in a position to be set up for those chances, but have to imagine a player with a little more finish in the same position would help boost Matthews assist totals substantially.

I don't think Hyman will come off his wing, Babcock loves him there. I do think there is merit to having a hardworker on Matthews line, I just think there may be a better fit somewhere (trade for nino!). In all honestly, I think Grundstrom will take over that spot one day.
i get why everyone wants hyman off that line. It makes sense to get him off there. I agree. But Matthews had a great season. When the opportunity presents itself Babcock will have someone to play with Matthews. Maybe Hyman and Matthews have great chemistry in the dressing room and he wants that on the ice.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It's not the goals. Hyman had the third most high danger % chances in the NHL. How many points did he score? Matthews primarily assisted on almost all of them.

We need someone who can bury his set ups. Matthews could have been PPG if Hyman buried half of the assists Matthews handed to him.
agreed. Hyman is obviously doing something right to be on that line. When a better opportunity presents itself Babcock will remove him. I don't think Babcock and the management team are in as big a rush to get someone else on that line as the fan base.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Toronto needs to address their defense this summer. Marc Staal's name was mentioned earlier, he's as good a name as anyone.

He's not very good anymore, and he makes $5.7M for the next 4 seasons. We're not taking him even if the Rangers pay us to. That's $700k more than Rielly makes lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toronto needs to address their defense this summer. Marc Staal's name was mentioned earlier, he's as good a name as anyone.

Marc Staal is not very good. He's already not the player he was 2-3 years ago. The Leafs need someone cheaper younger and better.

We've got Rielly for 5 million, Gardiner for 4. Why would we get a guy with a bad contract making more than both? He's not close to those 2.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
If we're looking at grabbing a defenceman, I think it would be Hjalmarsson. There's been the rumour of the Hawks trading a key player not named Toews or Keith. He's got incredible advanced stats. He perfectly addresses an area of need. He has a good contract. He checks all the boxes of what we're looking for.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If we're looking at grabbing a defenceman, I think it would be Hjalmarsson. There's been the rumour of the Hawks trading a key player not named Toews or Keith. He's got incredible advanced stats. He perfectly addresses an area of need. He has a good contract. He checks all the boxes of what we're looking for.

I think they'd move Seabrook before him but we'll see.He would be great, just not sure I believe he will be moved.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think they'd move Seabrook before him but we'll see.He would be great, just not sure I believe he will be moved.

I think they'd move Seabrook before him too. Though I don't think I see teams wanting 7 more years of his $6.875M contract

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014

I would uhh not want Marc Staal.

Personally, I want Tanev. Even the way people overrate guys who are possibly available and the demanded return is always super-inflated, especially by their team's fans... uh even now I don't think anyone's really getting just how good that guy is. It's kinda nuts.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Best option would be Tanev. Sounds like Vancouver is trying to bend people over for him though.

3 months ago I suggested something around Hamonic and Czikas for Kadri + but Leafs fans were opposed. I don't see a lot of options.

JVR is a deadline rental if Toronto is out of the playoffs, not a piece for a top-4 guy. Bozak isn't worth enough to get something good. Kadri is probably too valuable for what Toronto is looking to acquire. The kids are too important.

IDK. I don't see anything readily apparent.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Nice try. We will build through the draft and by acquiring young player through trades. Not cap dumps. We already got rid of the pylon that is Phaneuf. Don't want another one in Marc Staal.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'd be all for getting hammer from Chicago.

I'd overpay, not sure what Chicago is looking for, but I completely agree hes a perfect defenseman for us.

They'd probably want something based around one of our younger players, maybe brown or lievo+pick?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
To me when it comes to the Leafs D they need shot suppression - big time. 200 more shots against than league average last season. They already have 3 D that will be in the top 4 for a long time.

In my opinion that means:

Staal and Seabrook are: absolute no. I don't think that they bring any value to the Leafs.

Vatanen and Hamonic are great D, but I don't think they fill the needed holes, so personally I wouldn't give up decent assets for them.

Tanev, Hjalmarsson and Pysyk are big time yes for me. The first two will cost a lot more, but I would love to see Pysyk and either of T or H added to the Leafs. While at the same time I don't think that the Leafs D is as bad as most people do, so I would rather the Leafs hold out until they find the D that are the best fit for the lowest cost.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'd be all for getting hammer from Chicago.

I'd overpay, not sure what Chicago is looking for, but I completely agree hes a perfect defenseman for us.

They'd probably want something based around one of our younger players, maybe brown or lievo+pick?

I would love hammer in toronto. Dealing with the hawks right now is tricky because the hawks want value back but at the same time can't take salary back. It has to be a package of players on ELC and draft picks. Kapenen+1st is more the base for a deal with chicago I would think. Leafs probably add another another piece to the deal but nothing huge.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I could see us making a significant trade or two, and a significant UFA signing. I'd be quite happy with moves along these lines:
* Kapanen + 2017 1st for Tanev
* Carrick + Rychel + 2018 2nd for Pysyk (there are rumours about this, who knows if true)
* Sign Oshie
* Expose Bozak in the expansion draft

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
JvR - Nylander - Oshie
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Boyle/Gauthier - Martin
Soshnikov

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick/Dermott - Pysyk

Andersen
McElhinney/UFA

This is what I think "going for it" would look like for the Leafs - giving up picks and non-super-core young players for some good fit types in return (like Tanev and Pysyk). I think the above team would be a pretty scary/competitive playoff team, if healthy. Going for big stars and giving up any of our big 3 doesn't make sense, but there are other young assets we can leverage if we want to improve quickly.

At the same time, I'd also be happy with largely staying put over the offseason, and just seeing how our young guys develop. We were already a playoff team last year, and our core is super young, we should improve significantly without any major moves. Our window is long with this core, and if the right deals aren't there, doing nothing is a fine backup plan.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I could see us making a significant trade or two, and a significant UFA signing. I'd be quite happy with moves along these lines:
* Kapanen + 2017 1st for Tanev
* Carrick + Rychel + 2018 2nd for Pysyk (there are rumours about this, who knows if true)
* Sign Oshie
* Expose Bozak in the expansion draft

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
JvR - Nylander - Oshie
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Boyle/Gauthier - Martin
Soshnikov

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick/Dermott - Pysyk

Andersen
McElhinney/UFA

This is what I think "going for it" would look like for the Leafs - giving up picks and non-super-core young players for some good fit types in return (like Tanev and Pysyk). I think the above team would be a pretty scary/competitive playoff team, if healthy. Going for big stars and giving up any of our big 3 doesn't make sense, but there are other young assets we can leverage if we want to improve quickly.

At the same time, I'd also be happy with largely staying put over the offseason, and just seeing how our young guys develop. We were already a playoff team last year, and our core is super young, we should improve significantly without any major moves. Our window is long with this core, and if the right deals aren't there, doing nothing is a fine backup plan.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad