Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Leafs make their own big move

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Friedman was on Sportsnet's starting lineup radio show and said don't be surprised if the Leafs make the own big move, not in an effort to counter the Habs but because Matthews Marner and Nylander are cheap now and will be for the next 2 seasons at which point all 3 will need to be paid and in Nylanders case he needs to be paid next year.

The Leafs have a window of 2 years where they can add good quality vets to augment their elite young core while their core is cheap and Elliott believes it could happen.

I tend to agree I look at teams like Chicago, and the pens and they did not wait until their young stars ELC contracts were up befpre they made their push and I don't think Toronto will it's part of the reason I am not convinced JVR will be dealt.

I think Toronto see what they have, knows that it's cheap, for now and knows that it is easier now then it will ever be again to augment the core with quality vets and I wouldn't be surprised if he's right

I think we will see a significant move a lot of fans won't like it but I think it happens.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If the big 3 is untouchable then there really isnt much the leafs can offer to make a "big move "

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The difficulty as usual is how do you make a big move without giving up at least one of these great young players?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
If we add onto Kadri, MNM trio, Kapanen on forward, or add onto the 3 main dmen, with no subtractions from the listed, I don't think any fans will complain

supercilious

Jan 14, 2012
IMO the "big move" would be in free agency.

I can see them going in on a Joe Thornton & a Justin Williams on high salary, short term contracts to go "all-in" during the two years before Matthews & Marner are due raises.

Beyond that, without moving the big three, an offer around Brown + Kapanen + (Bracco, Nielsen, Tymashov etc) + a 1st is more about quantity than quality, even though those guys are solid prospects/players.

Who would even be available for that price that would be considered a "big move"

I dont see it.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I think Pominville makes sense here. Not a really big move though

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
If the big 3 is untouchable then there really isnt much the leafs can offer to make a "big move "

I'm pretty sure some combination of JVR, Kapanen, 2017 1st, 2018 1st could easily fetch something that would be classified as a big move. Maybe not getting a top pairing d-man, but those are valuable assets and would most certainly return something valuable.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As stated, I think it will be FA. Kapanen + their 1st are the only assets that would involve a "big move" and I don't see em moving either. Maybe go big in FA

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Friedman fell off. He literally just throws stuff at a wall and sees what sticks. "Don't be surprised if ____ make a big move." He used to be one of my favorites.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
JVR, Kapanen, etc.. don't get you anything.

Only "big" moveI can see the Leafs pulling off involves Kadri.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
As stated, I think it will be FA. Kapanen + their 1st are the only assets that would involve a "big move" and I don't see em moving either. Maybe go big in FA

But who is really in free agency? Top 4 are radulov, shattenkirk, alzner and Williams

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Friedman fell off. He literally just throws stuff at a wall and sees what sticks. "Don't be surprised if ____ make a big move." He used to be one of my favorites.

Essentially this. He's heading towards Eklund world. He just states the obvious. There is no substance what so ever

Leafs been rumor to be after Vantanen for a while. That will constitute a major trade. There's nothing new here

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
But who is really in free agency? Top 4 are radulov, shattenkirk, alzner and Williams

Thornton is pretty big, at least in size. He's really the only guy we could use (assuming we move Bozak) who would satisfy a larger need on a 2 year deal in FA anyways.

Oshie would rank higher than Williams. After that it drops off a little bit, depending on your feelings for the guys in the Hanzal tier.

The more I think about it, the less I think the Leafs will make a big move. Friedman is speculating 100%. No rumours attached.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I have no interest in anything besides dmen. Do not want to go the Montreal route and trade for everything else but the main thing we need.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People are so vague with the Leafs these days. No leaks anymore to the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad