Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Leafs make their own big move

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of one person inventing news when there is none to be mocked and the other doing the same to be praised.

30 thoughts is an HF post, Elliot is a smart hack.

Who do you trust for rumors outside of Mackenzie(too easy). I'm genuinely curious because people on hf don't seem to trust anyone. Everyone is a hack. And I'm not talking about legitimate hacks like Eklund who steal peoples money, but actual media sources.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of one person inventing news when there is none to be mocked and the other doing the same to be praised.

30 thoughts is an HF post, Elliot is a smart hack.

If you can't tell the difference between Eklund and Friedman, I don't really know how to help you.

Eklund: I "heard" from a "source" that Toronto is going to trade A for X and Y!

Friedman: There's nothing coming out of the Toronto front office. Looking at their situation, I think they need to ... so I wouldn't be surprised to see some moves come in to fix up these areas.

You don't see why one gets mocked for making things up, and the other gets praised for being honest about what information is available and instead offering up their analysis to generate discussion?

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Who do you trust for rumors outside of Mackenzie(too easy). I'm genuinely curious because people on hf don't seem to trust anyone. Everyone is a hack. And I'm not talking about legitimate hacks like Eklund who steal peoples money, but actual media sources.

I think since the leafs new management has taken over, and priority placed on not leaking any info, it has really put the top trusted 'insider' guys in a tough position. Its hard to be an insider when you have no scoop on anything and the leafs are not playing the game with you (using media as a pipeline). A guy like Mackenzie deals by admitting he doesn't know anything but offers up what he can while being cautious about it. While I find that dreger and Friedman are still trying to carry on as if they are in the know, when it's really just blind speculation. There's a whole lot of 'do not be surprised if...' type baseless stuff coming out of them.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If the big 3 is untouchable then there really isnt much the leafs can offer to make a "big move "
Really? So if Toronto offered up a 1st, 2nd, kapanen and another prospect most teams turn that down? Right. That's your standard trade and more. Most trades are your 1st and top prospect plus fillers. Kapanen is a great prospect but unfortunately for him is behind the big 3.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think since the leafs new management has taken over, and priority placed on not leaking any info, it has really put the top trusted 'insider' guys in a tough position. Its hard to be an insider when you have no scoop on anything and the leafs are not playing the game with you (using media as a pipeline). A guy like Mackenzie deals by admitting he doesn't know anything but offers up what he can while being cautious about it. While I find that dreger and Friedman are still trying to carry on as if they are in the know, when it's really just blind speculation. There's a whole lot of 'do not be surprised if...' type baseless stuff coming out of them.

ya like maybe its time for about 30 of these "HOCKEY INSIDERS" to get real jobs .we all notice there are no leaks anymore ,and its the professional way to work .
blow hard burke will soon run his mouth outta Calgary and that ll be one les SOURCE :laugh::laugh:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

very good way to put it

There's no more "insiders" when it comes to Leafs potential moves unless there's a leak from the other side but LL seems very good at making sure the teams he's talking with also keep it quiet . It's not as interesting for the fans but i can see how the players would appreciate not having there names floated in rumors constantly .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why do they have to do anything. This is what rebuilding teams do. Draft young players and develop young players. If a trade makes sense then sure.

They don't "have" to do anything but when an opportunity presents itself they will try to take advantage of it and the expansion draft presents that opportunity . There are players available now that wouldn't be under normal circumstances so i'd be very shocked if LL isn't doing everything he can to add a quality D .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why do they have to do anything. This is what rebuilding teams do. Draft young players and develope young players. If a trade makes sense then sure.

Because they can NOT go into next season with the same blue line and backup goalie that won't cut it

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Don't be surprised if the Leafs don't make any big moves. BS/LL are going to be patient and they should with the current core

I agree with the patience thing and don't condone a "swing for the fences" type trade.....but God dammit, they have to upgrade our D and backup goalie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't be surprised if the Leafs don't make any big moves. BS/LL are going to be patient and they should with the current core

You don't get it they HAVE to do something, not necessarily today but just like they had to pick up Andersen last year they HAVE to get a backup and HAVE to get a D man, and a top 9 forward would be nice so Zach Hyman wasn't dragging down Matthews and Nylander.

but a D man is a MUST.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
If you have some toughness back there and play a system to perfection you don't need 4 stars on D. Even this ragtag bunch won a cup together:

Ed Van Impe
Tom Bladon
Barry Ashbee
Andre Dupont
Joe Watson
Jimmy Watson

You don't need to give up JVR level players to supplement what you've got.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You don't get it they HAVE to do something, not necessarily today but just like they had to pick up Andersen last year they HAVE to get a backup and HAVE to get a D man, and a top 9 forward would be nice so Zach Hyman wasn't dragging down Matthews and Nylander.

but a D man is a MUST.
Maybe the players they need are already in their system.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

No they absolutely should not. Patience is the worst thing Toronto management could do right now.

Spend 20 seconds looking at their Cap situation and anyone who knows the game will understand.

So many UFAs and RFAs up this summer. They're going to lose players, they're going to have to give huge raises to their RFA kids.

This season is a window of opportunity when they're still getting elite production from ELC contracts and they still have JVR/Bozak/Komarov/etc. on the roster.

It would be downright ridiculous to "stay the course", land in 8th or 9th place, and literally rot away an entire season.

They need to be adding a BIG NAME defender, and sacrificing a big piece on forward to do so.

Once this is done, they can contend this season, next season, and every season beyond.

If they don't make this move, they don't contend this season and they likely lose a few pieces and may not contend for a few more after that.

Now is the time, especially with the expansion draft granting a once in a lifetime opportunity to Toronto where all of the sudden there's all these young defenders available who are normally never available. Now is the chance.

Legitimately terrible idea if Toronto stays put and does nothing. Frighteningly bad management if that happens.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Because they can NOT go into next season with the same blue line and backup goalie that won't cut it
How many years did Babcock say there would be pain with this team? And this year what? 2 with Babcock. They're building a solid team. They don't need to rush into making deals to fast forward it. I'd rather they develop their own defencemen then give up quality assets. If however they can steal a trade then that's fine. People need to temper the expectations.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

but a D man is a MUST.

With a 40 goal rookie season do you think he was dragging him down. Is 40 not enough?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

but a D man is a MUST.

They've added 2 D-Men already FYI.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
With a 40 goal rookie season do you think he was dragging him down. Is 40 not enough?

imagine what it may have been with Komarov, JVR, or even bloody M Martin on his left side instead ...at least Martin would have won the odd puck battle, and you know for sure he would have passed Matthews the puck any chance he had.

Hyman just continually took passes from Matthews skated the puck to the left of the net, and lost it in the corner.

Leafs should sell high and unload Hyman!!

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010

He's okay with Hyman. But Hyman had the 3rd highest high danger scoring chances in the league last year, behind McDavid and Matthews, and scored 10 goals total. Credit to Hyman for being in a position to be set up for those chances, but have to imagine a player with a little more finish in the same position would help boost Matthews assist totals substantially.

I don't think Hyman will come off his wing, Babcock loves him there. I do think there is merit to having a hardworker on Matthews line, I just think there may be a better fit somewhere (trade for nino!). In all honestly, I think Grundstrom will take over that spot one day.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Toronto needs to address their defense this summer. Marc Staal's name was mentioned earlier, he's as good a name as anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad