Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Read that whole thing, thank you very very much.

But the first part is so ****ing insulting.

"Could we have pushed practice back to 3, 4, or 5 o'clock and held the press conference later on? Possibly. But, that would have had tight turn-around the next day for practice again and would have disrupted what I felt was an important practice opportunity. But, you know, we'll always look at things and take the criticism accordingly."

They. Could. Have. Just. Pushed. Back. The. Press. Conference.

How stupid do they think we are? How unaccountable are they?

I'm not sure that enough thought went into the timing (whether it was Sweeney, or the PR department), but I'm not sure what you mean by unaccountable? Sweeney was there and faced the music on his own. Seemed pretty accountable to me?

ps agree Neely should have been there, if that's who you meant

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes.

He lives a nice town. His kids are happy and play hockey there. He wasn't looking to leave. If he was he would have been there with Sweeney announcing it was mutual.

Short of it being a health issue of some sort, when has a coach ever been at the press conference where he was relieved of his duties?

I don't recall it ever happening.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Short of it being a health issue of some sort, when has a coach ever been at the press conference where he was relieved of his duties?

Belichick in NY. Which was a resignation, which was my point.

Like I said, if Claude wanted to be let go he would have been there. Ergo, he didn't want to be let go.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Belichick in NY. Which was a resignation, which was my point.

Like I said, if Claude wanted to be let go he would have been there. Ergo, he didn't want to be let go.

Don't think that qualifies.

The Jets were there to announce BB's hiring (not firing) if I recall correctly, they had no idea he was walking away and that presser was a total **** show :laugh:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Also in regards to the integrating players bit: You'll see that he's talking about not willing to commit to having Julien while integrating young players in the near future because then the onus would have still been on Julien to win with said batch of young players when that would have been unfair to him.

Won't that be unfair for any coach ?
So having a new coach that integrates young players, he does't have to win , Julien would have to win ?

What am I missing ?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure that enough thought went into the timing (whether it was Sweeney, or the PR department), but I'm not sure what you mean by unaccountable? Sweeney was there and faced the music on his own. Seemed pretty accountable to me?

ps agree Neely should have been there, if that's who you meant

They should have had the press conference at 4.

We went to parade and I would have liked to see it

They could have announced the change at 10 and still had practice and the PC

Fenway said it was Heidi Holland and Neely making the call abc he would know- I had a feeling Heidi was in on this and I hope it doesn't cost her but they are aware of the bad pub

Neely on 98.5 today

The outstanding ticket deal for those who can't make it tonight due to inclement weather

That's how you do it - stand up and be honest and accessible and treat your customers like they matter

They have lost their way lately off the ice as much as on and I'm talking beyond that press conference

I'm actually glad ecstatic it happened because they need to wake the **** up

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Won't that be unfair for any coach ?
So having a new coach that integrates young players, he does't have to win , Julien would have to win ?

What am I missing ?

I think the thought of process here is that when you look at a coach like Julien, who's won at every level and has had a long, sustained winning career, the expectations are to win. I think with an interim or new coach, there would be a longer leash and understanding.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I found this piece by Yahoo's Ryan Lambert -- who is basically a Bruin hater -- to be humorous in a calamitous sort of way. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out going forward. Good win last night, but it was one game. Let's see what happens over the course of the next 5-7 games. Hopefully better than this piece predicts.
The stuff Sweeney said about being able to evaluate this roster without Julien roughly translates — if my spin-to-English dictionary is correct — to “Julien was making almost everyone in this rotten lineup look better than they actually are.†They want to see where they stand without a top-four coach? Fine, but they’re not going to like what they find, and the problem is they know it.

Bruins' issues have been building for years

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I found this piece by Yahoo's Ryan Lambert -- who is basically a Bruin hater -- to be humorous in a calamitous sort of way. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out going forward. Good win last night, but it was one game. Let's see what happens over the course of the next 5-7 games. Hopefully better than this piece predicts.

And if the Bruins play better and go on a run that clown will be the first to say Sweeney waited to long.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011

Pretty bang on article if ask me... sums up what I've thought and said for last 2 years despite the pom pom waivers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And if the Bruins play better and go on a run that clown will be the first to say Sweeney waited to long.

Correct.

Even though that would make him 100% wrong in the first place and he should have zero credibility on matters concerning the Bruins for some time going forward.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Closest one I can recall is Francona's presser after the season where the Sox had him fall on his sword and take full blame for the beer and chicken antics. But even then, he wasn't at the conference where he was actually fired. That was a few days later, and with Cherrington and Luccino.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Patrick Eaves with 21 goals. Still beyond annoyed that Chia never gave him a chance here because of cap issues. Wasted asset.

Sweeney was in charge of the college players so he should have foreseen this.

Bwhahahaha bwhahahaha

There are two types of Bruins fans - those who know who Trent Frederic and Jesse Gabrielle are and what year and round they were drafted and those who don't

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Improving without trading young assets is hard.

“You have to be committed, as we have been, to the development process,†Sweeney said. “So you have to look to internal solutions as to whether players are capable of (being better). Whether that’s a new (coach’s) voice, or a tweak here or there, (you look to) see whether or not players can respond. If not, then that falls right back on me — OK, they’re either not going to execute to the level we want, or they’re just not good enough.â€

But Sweeney’s job was to find out. Hence, the coaching change.

“That’s exactly right,†Sweeney said. “People outside may criticize and say, ‘Well, how can you not know that already?’ Well, sometimes it needs to play out. Give me the name of a young player, or someone who’s in a new role, and let’s see what happens. That’s sort of what’s taking place right now.

“We’ve got four wins. We’ve got a long road ahead of us. We understand the challenges. But we feel good about some of the players we have and what they’re going to be capable of doing, again, whether they can respond to a different voice. We’ll see where it goes.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...knows_bruins_still_have_long_road_ahead_of_us

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Improving without trading young assets is hard.

“You have to be committed, as we have been, to the development process,†Sweeney said. “So you have to look to internal solutions as to whether players are capable of (being better). Whether that’s a new (coach’s) voice, or a tweak here or there, (you look to) see whether or not players can respond. If not, then that falls right back on me — OK, they’re either not going to execute to the level we want, or they’re just not good enough.â€

But Sweeney’s job was to find out. Hence, the coaching change.

“That’s exactly right,†Sweeney said. “People outside may criticize and say, ‘Well, how can you not know that already?’ Well, sometimes it needs to play out. Give me the name of a young player, or someone who’s in a new role, and let’s see what happens. That’s sort of what’s taking place right now.

“We’ve got four wins. We’ve got a long road ahead of us. We understand the challenges. But we feel good about some of the players we have and what they’re going to be capable of doing, again, whether they can respond to a different voice. We’ll see where it goes.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...knows_bruins_still_have_long_road_ahead_of_us

Better to stay put

Don Sweeney so far is a C or D in offseason moves/trades. Rinaldo and Stempniak were costly. And it hurts him where he has been most successfull at thus far, the draft (losing those 3rd round picks)

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
This is good to hear. I just hope he doesn't get so fixated on internal growth that he does miss opportunities (this year, this summer, or further down the line) to move futures for young, established and still growing assets.

Farm systems/prospects/futures, in any sport, exist not only to provide internal, cost-controlled fixes, but also as trade consideration. Long story short, I think DS' mindset is the proper one, just don't want him to become a prospect-humper.

Put it this way, there were some on soxprospects.com who were actually upset about the Chris Sale trade. That type of move, in a hockey setting, is exactly one of the things you want to see result from a solid player development system (assuming it doesn't weaken an area of existing need, a la Carlo for Landeskog nonsense).

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...andon-carlo/1dtfAK2HyFsQqGxYITOw2N/story.html

Meant to put in his thread

Carlo going no where

Committed to drafting & development

What we all figured. This year is another draft and develop year and the Bruins should finish right where they are in the standings 9th-10th or worse. No surprises here.

I just want to see one instance where the team is made better moving forward that involves moving a prospect to prove he hasn't over-evaluated and fallen in love with all his prospects.

It doesn't take long for people to see Rask's turn into Toivonen's, Krug's into Morrow's, Pastrnak's into Caron's, etc.

The magical moment when you know the true value of a prospect and move them when they still hold value. I'm waiting to see one of those trades take place because not all of them are NHL talent.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What we all figured. This year is another draft and develop year and the Bruins should finish right where they are in the standings 9th-10th or worse. No surprises here.

I just want to see one instance where the team is made better moving forward that involves moving a prospect to prove he hasn't over-evaluated and fallen in love with all his prospects.

It doesn't take long for people to see Rask's turn into Toivonen's, Krug's into Morrow's, Pastrnak's into Caron's, etc.

The magical moment when you know the true value of a prospect and move them when they still hold value. I'm waiting to see one of those trades take place because not all of them are NHL talent.

We will see

They are in a life & death struggle for final spots and Cam may be feeling more heat and than Don

I believe Don went against Cam's earlier Claude canning date so I have to think he will not do anymore bad rental deals

I actually think in a 7 game series in the East only Washington would be near lock to beat Boston but they need at least 2 points in next 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad