Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
His NHL player acquisition is atrocious, he stockpiled picks and prospects, but hasn't used any of them to enhance the current NHL roster, instead focusing on giving long term deals to veterans that either project to bottom pairing/bottom line roles, or for a 32-year-old power forward.

His actions at the NHL level are in complete contrasts to his stated goal. And even then his stated goal does nothing to maximize his core players prime years.

The plan was to tread water as a playoff team until his prospects came. I hate that plan, I hate that strategy, I hate that philosophy because I don't think it's smart or likely to succeed, but that's his plan.

The problem is he sucks at implementing it. If he was trying to bridge you build a bridge with two year deals, you try and get veteran players that have something left to give but without tying them down for a long time.

Matt Beleskey will be taking up a roster spot for three more years. Backes 6 million cap hit has four more years.

So by the time your prospects are ready (and this is assuming they pan out the way we hope/need), your core is older and you're hampered with bad contracts.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
His NHL player acquisition is atrocious, he stockpiled picks and prospects, but hasn't used any of them to enhance the current NHL roster, instead focusing on giving long term deals to veterans that either project to bottom pairing/bottom line roles, or for a 32-year-old power forward.

His actions at the NHL level are in complete contrasts to his stated goal. And even then his stated goal does nothing to maximize his core players prime years.

The plan was to tread water as a playoff team until his prospects came. I hate that plan, I hate that strategy, I hate that philosophy because I don't think it's smart or likely to succeed, but that's his plan.

The problem is he sucks at implementing it. If he was trying to bridge you build a bridge with two year deals, you try and get veteran players that have something left to give but without tying them down for a long time.

Matt Beleskey will be taking up a roster spot for three more years. Backes 6 million cap hit has four more years.

So by the time your prospects are ready (and this is assuming they pan out the way we hope/need), your core is older and you're hampered with bad contracts.

agreed

complete lack of direction

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Where are all the Sweeneyites backing this guy??

I remember getting flamed every time I criticized this loser... I haven't been a fan since the hiring, now this?

Sweeney is just a puppet for Neely/Sinden

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
DS: Hello Claude?
CJ: Oh, hey Donny.
DS: Hey, I just called to say........ well, you know......
CJ: I know Donny. No need to say anything. I totally understand.
DS: No, Claude, seriously. This is important. Please hear me out.
CJ: I mean it Donny. Not necessary.
DS: CLAUDE...... LISTEN TO ME.
CJ: Ok, Ok....... spill it out.
DS: You lucky lucky lucky SOB! You suck.
CJ: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I know Donny. I know. Feel better?
DS: Not in the slightest.
CJ: :laugh: Tell Cam he was a great player, but Edmonton runs their show a hell of a lot better than he does.
DS: Can you get me a job wherever you land?
CJ: See what I can do Donny. Gotta go, though. Phone's ringing non stop.
DS: You suck.
CJ: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Talk to you later, Donny. Best to JJ and the old lizard advisor.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You forgot the last part.

Because your hampered with bad contracts, that you can't get rid of, nor can afford to buy-out, your forced to deal away some of your good younger players once they reach their 2nd contract, because you can't fit them under the cap with those expensive bad contacts for marginal players.

And the cycle continues. And by cycle I mean downward spiral.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
You forgot the last part.

Because your hampered with bad contracts, that you can't get rid of, nor can afford to buy-out, your forced to deal away some of your good younger players once they reach their 2nd contract, because you can't fit them under the cap with those expensive bad contacts for marginal players.

And the cycle continues. And by cycle I mean downward spiral.

Oh, and we could have made better use of the buyouts after the CBA. But those were never used to make the room we needed to make.

And I think I know why ....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think most of this panic is unwarranted. The new group all breaks in say next year, 3 year entry level.

In three years you have

Krejci 7.25 last year of his deal
Bergeron 6.875
Backes 6.0 last year of his deal
Marchand 6.125
Pasta 6.0 high guess for arg sake
Rask 7 mil last year of deal

39 mil. You have Carlo as well as Krug more than likely going to figure in as well.

I'm not sure who we are not going to be able to re-sign? Who are you guys worrying about? You could even sign a defenseman to 6-7 mil and still be ok.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think most of this panic is unwarranted. The new group all breaks in say next year, 3 year entry level.

In three years you have

Krejci 7.25 last year of his deal
Bergeron 6.875
Backes 6.0 last year of his deal
Marchand 6.125
Pasta 6.0 high guess for arg sake
Rask 7 mil last year of deal

39 mil. You have Carlo as well as Krug more than likely going to figure in as well.

I'm not sure who we are not going to be able to re-sign? Who are you guys worrying about? You could even sign a defenseman to 6-7 mil and still be ok.

I think most (myself including) are anticipating more bad deals in the years to come with this management team.

And there are probably a couple young guys not mentioned here.

What do you give Vatrano in a year if he scores at a 20 goal pace this season, and pops 25 next year.

How about if Colin Miller becomes a legit Top 4 guy and needs a new deal next year.

Your Pastrnak's, McAvoy's, and Carlo's will be fine.

What about your Debrusk's (2-years left) Heinen's, Bjorks, etc. etc.

4 years is a long time.

Granted, some of those big deals can probably still be moved between now and then.

I guess it's really planning for worst-case scenario in terms of overall asset management.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Don Sweeney called in to WAAF this morning. I tried to transcribe the call as accurately as I could but there might be a bit of paraphrasing:

"Could we have pushed practice back to 3, 4, or 5 o'clock and held the press conference later on? Possibly. But, that would have had tight turn-around the next day for practice again and would have disrupted what I felt was an important practice opportunity. But, you know, we'll always look at things and take the criticism accordingly."

"I had made a decision over the weekend (to replace Julien with Cassidy) that that was the direction that we were going to go. I wasn't comfortable announcing it during the Super Bowl, right after - because the players weren't there. Sunday/Monday (were) scheduled days off. Once I made the decision, I wasn't going to just dance around, I needed to face that music. You have to meet those things head on. You just do."

"We've been 'bridging' to a longer-term vision. I'm trying to bridge the area that we're in, but build from within. Where we've sort of taken a step back from, and I need people to understand is, we needed to re-attack from the draft perspective. We do believe that we've deepened the talent pool. The trajectory is always up to the players themselves. The opportunity should be there. So, in order to improve the talent and where we are, I wasn't trading certain players. David Pastrnak, Brandon Carlo - players that we feel are going to grow just like Bergeron and Marchand, players that went on to win the Cup."

"Moving forward I just wasn't ready to commit (to Julien) with regards to integrating the young players. Therefore I felt every win and loss was unfair to Claude at that particular time, to say 'well, it's on you." It's on us. It's on the whole group going forward. It starts with me. It starts with the players."

"Where we are now and where we're going with the younger players, I felt there needed to be a change - a new voice. Whether that remains to be Butch, Bruce Cassidy, going forward, that's what these next 27 games will represent - an opportunity to evaluate which of our players can move forward with our core group and whether or not the coach and the coaching staff is going to be part of that as well."

"We had a chance to have a couple days of practice and allow Bruce and Joe and Jay to sort of implement some of the things that they feel that we might be able to change. Structurally, we won't change that much defensively."

"We had some trouble scoring goals some periods of times when Rask was playing extremely well in the early part of the season. And vice-versa with the pressure we've put on Tuukka and our backup situation. He hasn't been able to play as well and probably the workload has caught up to him. Our schedule was just very challenging. We started to score goals, but we were giving up a little more. So, trying to find that consistency that everybody's really spoken about. Even our home record from that standpoint, last year being under .500, really made it hard to make the playoffs. And we're just below that watermark this year and that's why we're in the middle of the mix of trying to get in."

"From Bruce's standpoint, he's a very straight-forward guy. He wants structure and accountability. He wants to play and practice at a higher pace and carry that forward in all parts of the game for sixty minutes. Can he sustain it? Do we have the talent level? Those things will be determined. He's had a lot of success at the American League level. Will that translate in his second opportunity (at the NHL level)? That remains to be seen. I think that the younger players will have a very clear message. They'll have an opportunity, if they don't do it, they know they'll have to earn their ice time. We've got one line that's carried a lot of the load offensively. We're trying to see if some other players can't be ignited a little bit."

"I played for nine different coaches. I told each of the players that they should feel some form of responsibility, and if you don't feel some level of responsibility then you're in the wrong business because you have to take ownership of situations like this. But also you will move forward because that's your job. You have another opportunity to go and play and prove that we can be a better team and I believe this group has the capability of that."

"(Backup goaltending) has been more than an issue. Anton got off to a bit of slow start, he had broken his hand, so he lost some rhythm is his play. We tried both younger goaltenders. You're trying to make sure that players have the proper development time before they're put in the National Hockey League level. We've been developing and been patient in terms of Malcolm. We wanted to create some internal competition. We had great familiarity with Anton, he was here previously and had a lot of success. That's the path we chose. It hasn't played out the way that we had hoped, certainly. A lot of that falls on ourselves as well as the players, but again you've got to protect Zane and Malcolm and they need experience. They need to go through it and it's tough to go through it at the National Hockey League level when you're trying to win each night and the pressure is there. The onus will fall on Anton to come back here and recollect at this point and time. But, it won't stop me from trying to improve (the position) and I won't stop trying to do that."

Last edited:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Read that whole thing, thank you very very much.

But the first part is so ****ing insulting.

"Could we have pushed practice back to 3, 4, or 5 o'clock and held the press conference later on? Possibly. But, that would have had tight turn-around the next day for practice again and would have disrupted what I felt was an important practice opportunity. But, you know, we'll always look at things and take the criticism accordingly."

They. Could. Have. Just. Pushed. Back. The. Press. Conference.

How stupid do they think we are? How unaccountable are they?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
"Moving forward I just wasn't ready to commit with regards to integrating the young players. Therefore I felt every win and loss was unfair to Claude at that particular time, to say 'well, it's on you." It's on us. It's on the whole group going forward. It starts with me. It starts with the players."

Thanks for posting this.

Can anyone explain the above statement though?

He is or isn't ready to commit to integrating young players? One sentence seems to contradict the other.

And he says Anton has had a lot of success here before? He played 14 games in a shortened season for a Cup Finalist team. Was this what he based his decision to bring back Khudobin? ******

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

Whoops, I left out that he said it's a league rule that the players/coaches need to be made available immediately after practice. That was part of his supposed reasoning.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Wasn't this the decision of the PR crowd? At least that was his excuse yesterday.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Thanks for posting this.

He is or isn't ready to commit to integrating young players? One sentence seems to contradict the other.

And he says Anton has had a lot of success here before? He played 14 games in a shortened season for a Cup Finalist team. Was this what he based his decision to bring back Khudobin? ******

My fault, he was speaking about Julien specifically with regards to integrating the young players. I'll edit that in.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My fault, he was speaking about Julien specifically with regards to integrating the young players. I'll edit that in.

No problem. Seemed odd, because he made it sound yesterday like their was a difference in opinion between him and Julien on this topic.

Thanks again for posting this.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They still could have had the press conference later, with Cam there too.

They could have released a statement briefly giving their reasons for the move, and mentioned normally they'd immediately have a presser, but the parade meant they obviously needed to move it back to let the local media attend.

Just more excuses from them. They are never short for excuses.

It's too bad you can't slot an excuse into a Top 4 D role.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Don Sweeney called in to WAAF this morning. I tried to transcribe the call as accurately as I could but there might be a bit of paraphrasing:

"I had made a decision over the weekend (to replace Julien with Cassidy) that that was the direction that we were going to go. I wasn't comfortable announcing it during the Super Bowl, right after - because the players weren't there. Sunday/Monday (were) scheduled days off. Once I made the decision, I wasn't going to just dance around, I needed to face that music. You have to meet those things head on. You just do."

"We've been 'bridging' to a longer-term vision. I'm trying to bridge the area that we're in, but build from within. Where we've sort of taken a step back from, and I need people to understand is, we needed to re-attack from the draft perspective. We do believe that we've deepened the talent pool. The trajectory is always up to the players themselves. The opportunity should be there. So, in order to improve the talent and where we are, I wasn't trading certain players. David Pastrnak, Brandon Carlo - players that we feel are going to grow just like Bergeron and Marchand, players that went on to win the Cup."

"Moving forward I just wasn't ready to commit (to Julien) with regards to integrating the young players. Therefore I felt every win and loss was unfair to Claude at that particular time, to say 'well, it's on you." It's on us. It's on the whole group going forward. It starts with me. It starts with the players."

"Where we are now and we're were going with the younger players, I felt there needed to be a change - a new voice. Whether that remains to be Butch, Bruce Cassidy, going forward, that's what these next 27 games will represent - an opportunity to evaluate which of our players can move forward with our core group and whether or not the coach and the coaching staff is going to be part of that as well."

"We had a chance to have a couple days of practice and allow Bruce and Joe and Jay to sort of implement some of the things that they feel that we might be able to change. Structurally, we won't change that much defensively."

"We had some trouble scoring goals some periods of times when Rask was playing extremely well in the early part of the season. And vice-versa with the pressure we've put on Tuukka and our backup situation. He hasn't been able to play as well and probably the workload has caught up to him. Our schedule was just very challenging. We started to score goals, but we were giving up a little more. So, trying to find that consistency that everybody's really spoken about. Even our home record from that standpoint, last year being under .500, really made it hard to make the playoffs. And we're just below that watermark this year and that's why we're in the middle of the mix of trying to get in."

"From Bruce's standpoint, he's a very straight-forward guy. He wants structure and accountability. He wants to play and practice at a higher pace and carry that forward in all parts of the game for sixty minutes. Can he sustain it? Do we have the talent level? Those things will be determined. He's had a lot of success at the American League level. Will that translate in his second opportunity (at the NHL level)? That remains to be seen. I think that the younger players will have a very clear message. They'll have an opportunity, if they don't do it, they know they'll have to earn their ice time. We've got one line that's carried a lot of the load offensively. We're trying to see if some other players can't be ignited a little bit."

"I played for nine different coaches. I told each of the players that they should feel some form of responsibility, and if you don't feel some level of responsibility then you're in the wrong business because you have to take ownership of situations like his. But also you will move forward because that's your job. You have another opportunity to go and play and prove that we can be a better team and I believe this group has the capability of that."

"(Backup goaltending) has been more than an issue. Anton got off to a bit of slow start, he had broken his hand, so he lost some rhythm is his play. We tried both younger goaltenders. You're trying to make sure that players have the proper development time before they're put in the National Hockey League level. We've been developing and been patient in terms of Malcolm. We wanted to create some internal competition. We had great familiarity with Anton, he was here previously and had a lot of success. That's the path we chose. It hasn't played out the way that we had hoped, certainly. A lot of that falls on ourselves as well as the players, but again you've got to protect Zane and Malcolm and they need experience. They need to go through it and it's tough to go through it at the National Hockey League level when you're trying to win each night and the pressure is there. The onus will fall on Anton to come back here and recollect at this point and time. But, it won't stop me from trying to improve (the position) and I won't stop trying to do that."

I actually think that 95 percent of this is pretty fair and understandable. The timing of the conference is still an indefensible gaffe that they just need to cope to.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thanks for posting this.

He was 10-4 with a 2.20 something GAA and a .930 something SP in the 15 games he was here for.

He also was pretty solid with Providence, posting averages of .920 SP, 2.50 GAA in about 60 games ( eyeballing all of this ). If he even gave us half of that, we would be fighting for first in our division. He's still young in goalie years too. I don't know if it's the broken hand or something else, but Doby's second stint with the Bruins has been a disaster and it sucks because 1. He wanted to be here and pushed for this and 2. I'm a fan of the guy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Also in regards to the integrating players bit: You'll see that he's talking about not willing to commit to having Julien while integrating young players in the near future because then the onus would have still been on Julien to win with said batch of young players when that would have been unfair to him.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I was told something very interesting this morning and if someone in the know on the Boston end could verify, I'd love to hear people's thoughts:

1. Boston wasn't going to make a trade until they fired Julien to ensure that the new acquisition didn't push them back into the playoffs.
2. The Bruins management wanted to fire Julien then make the trade and the move (which is more important than the coaching change) would have both moves looking good.
3. In essence, the Julien firing was a precursor to a trade that will take place after the third game this week before their/during their bye week.

It reminds me of how we were told that Gallant was fired BEFORE he started to get his injured players back because once he did, the team would perform and they would have missed their window to fire him.

This was the window to fire him and the trade that will occur in the next 9 days before their bye week ends has been held up be management because of the Julien firing had to come first.

Perhaps a MOD or someone else could inquire or have heard the same thing out of Boston?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was told something very interesting this morning and if someone in the know on the Boston end could verify, I'd love to hear people's thoughts:

1. Boston wasn't going to make a trade until they fired Julien to ensure that the new acquisition didn't push them back into the playoffs.
2. The Bruins management wanted to fire Julien then make the trade and the move (which is more important than the coaching change) would have both moves looking good.
3. In essence, the Julien firing was a precursor to a trade that will take place after the third game this week before their/during their bye week.

It reminds me of how we were told that Gallant was fired BEFORE he started to get his injured players back because once he did, the team would perform and they would have missed their window to fire him.

This was the window to fire him and the trade that will occur in the next 9 days before their bye week ends has been held up be management because of the Julien firing had to come first.

Perhaps a MOD or someone else could inquire or have heard the same thing out of Boston?

I have no idea but it sure sounds like the type of backwards thinking that this front office would come up with.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Are we even sure for certain that it wasn't Julien that wanted to go?

Yes.

He lives a nice town. His kids are happy and play hockey there. He wasn't looking to leave. If he was he would have been there with Sweeney announcing it was mutual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad