Management Don Sweeney V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Head of scouting. Nothing more. Shouldn't be anything more it seems and he is proving that every day that goes by.

How did you feel about Stan Bowman when Hawks were going

3 Toews
7 Seabrooke
1 Kane
3 barker

Would you been patient for 4 years of last place finishes as they assembled their Cup teams

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

3 Toews
7 Seabrooke
1 Kane
3 barker

Would you been patient for 4 years of last place finishes as they assembled their Cup teams

That would be the right decision.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

3 Toews
7 Seabrooke
1 Kane
3 barker

Well to be honest, I would have and we'd be in year three of that instead of this treading water crap. Bottom line is, all of his hope is resting in the system right now. All of it. His entire resume and the fate of the Boston Bruins rests in Lauzon, McAvoy, Carlo, JFK, Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Zboril, Lindgren and Gabrielle.

Half have to hit bigtime.
A quarter have to become as good as Bergeron, Krejci, Krug, Chara, Rask and Marchand because they will be replacing these players that will be on the decline.

The others have to be better than the current bottom six.

He's drafting to replace holes now that would be double in size when the replacements are ready.

Now if you're telling me someone in the system now is going to replace Bergeron I'm all ears.
Now if you're telling me someone in the system now is going to replace Marchand...

You get the point. The prospects in the system now may well replace Beleskey, Nash, Spooner, Vatrano, Czarnik, Hayes, Moore, McQuaid, Miller and company but I only see McAvoy as being able to be a pairing guy and I see no top six wingers or centermen replacing the Bergeron's.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

3 Toews
7 Seabrooke
1 Kane
3 barker

Pretty much anything is better than this.

Not good enough to compete, not bad enough to pick top5. The elite vets are declining or going to start declining in the near future.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
agreed, but in order to catch lightning in a bottle you have to put yourself out there, grab a bottle and take a chance. That's my point. Not that x worked out great for y. It's that they tried something, and we didn't.

The bruins had a stretch with dobby injured and rask tweaking his hammy. La, ana, ott were all in similar situations, and they all grabbed backups. Sweeney did nothing. He's done nothing all year to help. Why?

YES! He (Sweeney) wants it both ways, to re-arm while they make the playoffs. They will re-arm their bench but will they pull out of this pathetic situation?

well to be honest, i would have and we'd be in year three of that instead of this treading water crap. Bottom line is, all of his hope is resting in the system right now. All of it. His entire resume and the fate of the boston bruins rests in lauzon, mcavoy, carlo, jfk, senyshyn, debrusk, zboril, lindgren and gabrielle.

Half have to hit bigtime.
A quarter have to become as good as bergeron, krejci, krug, chara, rask and marchand because they will be replacing these players that will be on the decline.

The others have to be better than the current bottom six.

He's drafting to replace holes now that would be double in size when the replacements are ready.

Now if you're telling me someone in the system now is going to replace bergeron i'm all ears.
Now if you're telling me someone in the system now is going to replace marchand...

You get the point. The prospects in the system now may well replace beleskey, nash, spooner, vatrano, czarnik, hayes, moore, mcquaid, miller and company but i only see mcavoy as being able to be a pairing guy and i see no top six wingers or centermen replacing the bergeron's.

JFK!?!

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Just like the rest of management Sweeney is hiding. At least Chia was on every couple of weeks in between periods talking about the team. Sweeney has maybe done 1 or 2 since he took over.

He isn't a leader standing in front of the media and taking the shots. He is hiding in the club house with Neely. Lack of any leadership from management here should have the owners fuming. I just don't understand why its so quiet.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Certainly feels like this is true. He continues to do nothing to help while the team is playing it's heart out.

It's pretty obvious his interest in the current product is minimal.

Honestly, if you gave ANY head scout a GM position what would you expect him to do?

1. Trade NHL talent looking for raises for draft picks.
2. Trade for more draft picks.
3. Make stretch picks for players he loves over consensus picks.
4. Make cheap stop-gap trades to try and ice a fringe playoff team.
5. Sit on prospects and hope they develop.
6. Do not trade any prospects for help with the current product.
7. Avoid the media for a couple years.
8. Hope his picks pay off.

My guess is if he had more guys without NTC's he'd be trading them for picks right now. And then more picks.

If I'm Bergeron and that top line I'm hating what my GM has done the last three years no matter who was at the helm.

Now it looks more and more like 2020 is the year and we'll all be HOPING that the current top line is still a top line while all the prospects drafted fill up the bottom six.

Still no second line though.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

3 Toews
7 Seabrooke
1 Kane
3 barker

Nope. I'd be assessing my current prospect pool and deciding which ones will be third-liners in a couple years and which ones won't even be that and moving them for help for my top line that is one of the best in the world and getting into the playoffs.

Seems to me like Don Sweeney is a HF Board fan; he's fallen in love with all his picks and wants to keep them all and sees them as more valuable than anyone else does.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's pretty obvious his interest in the current product is minimal.

Honestly, if you gave ANY head scout a GM position what would you expect him to do?

1. Trade NHL talent looking for raises for draft picks.
2. Trade for more draft picks.
3. Make stretch picks for players he loves over consensus picks.
4. Make cheap stop-gap trades to try and ice a fringe playoff team.
5. Sit on prospects and hope they develop.
6. Do not trade any prospects for help with the current product.
7. Avoid the media for a couple years.
8. Hope his picks pay off.

My guess is if he had more guys without NTC's he'd be trading them for picks right now. And then more picks.

If I'm Bergeron and that top line I'm hating what my GM has done the last three years no matter who was at the helm.

Now it looks more and more like 2020 is the year and we'll all be HOPING that the current top line is still a top line while all the prospects drafted fill up the bottom six.

Still no second line though.

I agree. And frankly, if he can't find a way to help this group then what makes anyone think he'll be any better when the prospects are ready? Those teams will have holes too. And if the answers to those holes don't break camp with the team they'll just suffer through it til the draft when he can pick a potential solution and then wait 1-4 years for that kid to be ready to step in and fill it.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I agree. And frankly, if he can't find a way to help this group then what makes anyone think he'll be any better when the prospects are ready? Those teams will have holes too. And if the answers to those holes don't break camp with the team they'll just suffer through it til the draft when he can pick a potential solution and then wait 1-4 years for that kid to be ready to step in and fill it.

It's right where I see things as well. The current prospects will be good enough (hopefully) in a couple years to replace the bottom six forwards and bottom pairing D.

But who is replacing the top six and top four players that will have declined by then on the roster for the Bruins when 2020 arrives?

Bigger holes and less hope that we have one of the future top centermen in the world, a Norris defenseman, a top three LWer and a second line center in the system right now.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Is Bergeron, Rask, Krejci, Marchand, Backes and Pasta all retiring in the next two seasons?

No but let's check out those stats in three years vs this year and also who has come up and usurped them as the top line in Boston.

Right now with their numbers they are on a team set to miss the playoffs yet again.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's right where I see things as well. The current prospects will be good enough (hopefully) in a couple years to replace the bottom six forwards and bottom pairing D.

But who is replacing the top six and top four players that will have declined by then on the roster for the Bruins when 2020 arrives?

Bigger holes and less hope that we have one of the future top centermen in the world, a Norris defenseman, a top three LWer and a second line center in the system right now.

I think there are prospects in that mix who will be top6/top4 players. Krejci didn't post monster numbers at 18/19. Pasta was 25th overall, Carlo, Chara, Krug weren't pegged as 1st line/top4 guys at 18/19... Just because we don't have a former blue-chip 17 year old doesn't mean we don't have players capable of developing into top half of the roster players.

That said, it seems unlikely everything is just going to fall into place by itself and not require some tweaking. EDM drafted 1st overall for a hundred years in a row, but it took some bold TRADES and some UFA signings, etc to turn that collection of prospects into a 1st place team. Same thing happened in Chicago, trading for Patrick Sharp, signing Hossa, Panarin, Johnny Oduya...

I'm not all-out on Sweeney yet, but it's the 11th hour for me. At some point he's going to have to make moves that help this team and sitting on his hands while the season slips away isn't exactly filling me with confidence.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So you guys are now literally giving your GM two years. Sweeney gets fired in May, next guy gets two years as well? Do teams fire their GMs after two years? Any examples?

Why time, why not look at all the moves they have made and where have those moves carried the team. Look at how the team looks now and how the longterm plan looks?

I don't expect him to get fired but he has made lot of bad moves and I hope he can be critized for them and not just say hey it's been just 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad