Management Don Sweeney V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sweeney from accounts wanted Hanifan and having all those picks seemed like would get him

Lucky or good Sweeney is going to come out of this well because all 3 picks are coming along

Also watch and see if Sweeney goes back at Hanifan this offseason he's struggled and the picture is a lot clearer

I don't think there is ever an offer sheet from anyone including Chiarelli

Goes back at him with what?

member 96824

I don't find it shocking at all, nothing happens in this league as far as moves until about 2 weeks from the deadline at the earliest, the team you start with in October is basically the one you have for 60 games. What's shocking is that Sweeney hasn't figured that out yet.

Honestly, learning doesn't seem to be the front office's strong suit. They repeat the same mistakes each year dating back to when the gang was the gang+1.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
It's called burning him out by a coach who knows Cam wanted to fire him 2 weeks ago but was rebuffed

Who's "rebuffing" the President?!? Can't be CJ. Nor Sweeney. Would it be Charlie? I'd put my money on JJ. Amirite?

Seems to make sense to me. CJ is a proven winner -- won a Cup in 2011 and is the B's most winning coach in the team's history.

In his post-playing career, what the hell has Cam done, other than preside over the steady decline of a Cup contender?

If he's being rebuffed, I can understand the thinking.

#NeelyOut

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
My personal 6 favorite moves

2. Hamilton for a 1 and 2 seconds without waiting a year and fwiw exceeding the 1, 2, 3 compensation to initiate in the year following- adding in historically strong draft

In hindsight Sweeney would've been better served accepting the 1st 2nd 3rd in 2016, as Calgary had the 6th overall in 2016 as opposed to the 15th overall in 2015.

I realize you're not a fan of Hamilton at all, but even you cannot deny that at the time of the trade Dougie was highly regarded throughout the league, viewed as a big young smooth up and coming top pairing dman. Surely he could've returned a young roster player of similar value.

In my opinion Sweeney completely botched tat trade. I believe history will not look to kindly on that move from a Bruins perspective. Neither of those picks are helping the Bruins yet, so at this point it's a loss. Time will tell.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
In hindsight Sweeney would've been better served accepting the 1st 2nd 3rd in 2016, as Calgary had the 6th overall in 2016 as opposed to the 15th overall in 2015.

I realize you're not a fan of Hamilton at all, but even you cannot deny that at the time of the trade Dougie was highly regarded throughout the league, viewed as a big young smooth up and coming top pairing dman. Surely he could've returned a young roster player of similar value.

In my opinion Sweeney completely botched tat trade. I believe history will not look to kindly on that move from a Bruins perspective. Neither of those picks are helping the Bruins yet, so at this point it's a loss. Time will tell.

Maybe Hamilton didn't hold the value in a trade that is being assumed here?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Maybe Hamilton didn't hold the value in a trade that is being assumed here?

Exactly. All we know is what we saw on the ice,an obviously talented player with no physicality and prone to dumbfounding decisions. Beyond that,we heard about his unhappiness and his timidity in the lockerroom after the trade. We have no idea what all the talk or perception was among hockey insiders,and I don't mean journalists.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Brian Burke has said he outbid 12 teams to get Hamilton.

https://www.google.com/amp/calgaryh...urke-blasts-dougie-hamilton-trade-rumours/amp

So please everyone stop the Sweeney didn't shop him crap.

never understood it either WBC8, I recall Treliving on either Hockey Central at Noon down here or with Prime Time sports saying the same thing about out bidding teams although he didn`t give the number of teams competing for Hamilton

Now, to be fair, no clue what others may or may not have offered DS

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would be interested to know the quality of those other trades; if they would truly have been beneficial to the Bruins that year or even this year.

You believe everything Burke says; you sure he wasn't just talking like a used car salesman?

you suggesting alternative facts?:sarcasm:

I mentioned in another post, a conversation I heard Treliving have here mentioning having to compete for Hamilton`s services, he wasn`t specific like Burke as to how many teams were in that bidding

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I think so too and he admitted that all 3 picks could not get him one of the top 3 defensemen,so he must have tried.

FWIW, I'm wondering when was the last time a team was able to use just draft picks to move up into the top 5 in the draft, or even the top 10. And Sweeny was sitting at 13, 14, 15 picks. In a cap age teams just don't trade away top 10 draft picks for picks lower in the draft, teams have to give up a significant player for the team with the high pick to even consider it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
FWIW, I'm wondering when was the last time a team was able to use just draft picks to move up into the top 5 in the draft, or even the top 10. And Sweeny was sitting at 13, 14, 15 picks. In a cap age teams just don't trade away top 10 draft picks for picks lower in the draft, teams have to give up a significant player for the team with the high pick to even consider it.

I don't know. That draft was considered deep so 3 mid first round picks probably had more value than other drafts. Sweeney mentioned he couldn't swap them for a defenseman,so we'll find at some point if Senyshyn,DeBrusk and Zboril were not worth one of Hanafin (3),Werenski (8) or Provorov(7).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The B's have gone from 96 pts before Sweeney to 93 pts and now on pace for 88 pts. By the objective standards of actually winning games (which used to be important around here) the team is in worse shape than they were last year (and that was worse than the year before and that was worse than the year before and that was worse than the year before)

The offense is non-existent as the team is 22nd in 5 on 5 goal scoring. The team is not at all resilient (despite spending millions to add great leader David Backes). In fact, they are 28th in the league in goal differential when trailing by 1. COL and ARI and NJ and BUF are all better at getting that tying goal than the Bruins are.

It's nice to have a list of your favorite Sweeney moves, and he has made some good ones, but the ultimate goal is to win. I don't see the team reducing prices for tickets and saying "Hey don't expect us to win until Jacob Zboril can buy a beer", so it's totally fair to say that Sweeney has by objective standards made the current team worse than the one he inherited.

Will the 2021 season be a rousing success? Maybe. But there's no telling that he'll be around to see it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'll have to disagree about this team not being resilient. I think this team has more resiliency than the teams pushed out after the Cup years, but has lacked the finish/talent to pull it off like in the past.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Guy yesterday at Dunkin Donuts starts ranting at me (should have gone through drive thru and dealt with them screwing up order) about Bruins are poorly run from Jacobs on down. When I mentioned Chicago went 1-7-3-1-11 from 2004-2008 and got their core is he up for 5 years of complete garbage

Silence

I remain undefeated in situations like this

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The B's have gone from 96 pts before Sweeney to 93 pts and now on pace for 88 pts. By the objective standards of actually winning games (which used to be important around here) the team is in worse shape than they were last year (and that was worse than the year before and that was worse than the year before and that was worse than the year before)

The offense is non-existent as the team is 22nd in 5 on 5 goal scoring. The team is not at all resilient (despite spending millions to add great leader David Backes). In fact, they are 28th in the league in goal differential when trailing by 1. COL and ARI and NJ and BUF are all better at getting that tying goal than the Bruins are.

It's nice to have a list of your favorite Sweeney moves, and he has made some good ones, but the ultimate goal is to win. I don't see the team reducing prices for tickets and saying "Hey don't expect us to win until Jacob Zboril can buy a beer", so it's totally fair to say that Sweeney has by objective standards made the current team worse than the one he inherited.

Will the 2021 season be a rousing success? Maybe. But there's no telling that he'll be around to see it.
I am so ready to pick in bottom 5 for years

I love the Leafs model accumulate top 10 picks

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I am so ready to pick in bottom 5 for years

I love the Leafs model accumulate top 10 picks

That's an awesome strawman argument Dan since I'm not arguing finishing last. But hey it's easier to fight windmills that aren't there than to admit that your hero has made the team worse every year he's been on the job.

Congrats.

And boy it is totally a good thing we didn't get Vesey since we have 8 LWs better and our goal scoring isn't a problem at all.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'll have to disagree about this team not being resilient. I think this team has more resiliency than the teams pushed out after the Cup years, but has lacked the finish/talent to pull it off like in the past.

They have more talent than Arizona, COL and NJ. Yet when behind by 1 they give up goals at a higher rate than they do when tied or ahead. When behind by 1 they score goals at a lower rate than they do when ahead. Now there's all sorts of reasons why that may be happening, and it may have nothing to do with fight and effort level. It may be coaching. It may be lack of talent. But that they are the 2nd worst team in the league when behind a goal says SOMETHING, and whatever it is, it isn't good.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Brian Burke has said he outbid 12 teams to get Hamilton.

https://www.google.com/amp/calgaryh...urke-blasts-dougie-hamilton-trade-rumours/amp

So please everyone stop the Sweeney didn't shop him crap.

Because we are on a secret HF texting chat group I know you know more about this. I think if the truth was out there 80 % would flip on Dougie and the other 20 % wouldn't change no matter what

I will say one supposed offer I thought was better than what he got draft day 2015 but it looks like in hindsight the deal could be a heck of a yield

Time will tell

Love the incorrect overeating though very enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad