Management Don Sweeney V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Google available GM's and saw an article about guys up for the LV job and thought a couple of them could be good fits here...

Paul Fenton
Current: Asst. GM, Nashville Predators
Past: Dir. of Player Personnel, Nashville Predators, 1998-2006
He and David Poile have built hockey in Nashville from the ground up, and there’s no reason to believe the lessons Fenton has learned in ‘Music City’ can’t translate. The Predators have had consistent success under Poile and Fenton and they’ve done it while keeping a budget.
(I like that NAS puts a heavy focus on drafting and developing but is also not afraid to pull the trigger on a big deals like Seth Jones for RyJo and Webber for Subban. That's the kind of bold thinking this team needs if it's going for a rebuild.)

Les Jackson
Current: Asst. GM, Dallas Stars
Recent: Dir. of Player Development, Dallas Stars, 2009-2013
He’s currently in his second go-round as Stars assistant GM and he has more experience than almost any other candidate. Aside from one and a half seasons in the GM role with Dallas, though, Jackson has never held the top job. However, he did make one significant trade in his short stint as Dallas’ GM, acquiring Brad Richards from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a four-player package that included Jeff Halpern, Jussi Jokinen and Mike Smith. Richards worked out well in Dallas, scoring 70 goals and 227 points in 220 games.
(Like Fenton, Jackson has a focus on player development but also had the cajones to make a major move acquiring Richards.)

Mike Futa
Current: Dir. of Player Personnel, Los Angeles Kings
Past: GM, Owen Sound Attack (OHL), 2002-2007
Before the Maple Leafs went out and shocked everyone by bringing Lou Lamoriello on board, there were some who considered Futa one of the top candidates to take over in Toronto’s front office. Futa has spent seven seasons working for Dean Lombardi’s staff, and that’s invaluable experience under a GM who is widely considered one of the best in the league.
Futa doesn’t necessarily get the credit for the Kings’ Stanley Cup victories, but he was the director of amateur scouting during a period in which Los Angeles selected Drew Doughty, Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford, Brayden Schenn, Alec Martinez, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson…you get the point. Futa’s draft record has shown he’s a good talent evaluator and he’s hit big on a few selections, some of which are second-round or lower selections.
The experience in the OHL won’t prepare him entirely for the role as an NHL GM, but his time in Los Angeles will have. That’s not to mention he would understand the Western U.S. market.
(I like the kinds of teams LA has built but you don't know if he'll be just like Sweeney when it comes to making deals and managing the NHL roster.)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...m-candidates-for-the-las-vegas-expansion-team

I still try to pry Tallon away from Florida, kick Cam to the curb and take JFJ with him, let Tallon and DS work together

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
The bottom line for the last 3 seasons is this team subtracted 3 impact players from the roster (Boychuk, Lucic, Hamilton) and replaced them with Carlo and C. Miller and draft picks. Claude Julien can't control that. That's on management. Before you start yelling about how good our prospects are I'm talking about the present NHL roster. If you subtract that much and add only a small amount back how can you be surprised at the results. I expect this is finally the year Sweeney pulls the trigger on something large at the deadline, for better or for worse.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The bottom line is this team has subtracted 3 impact players from the roster (Boychuk, Lucic, Hamilton) and replaced them with Carlo and C. Miller and draft picks. Claude Julien can't control that. That's on management. Before you start yelling about how good our prospects are I'm talking about the present NHL roster. If you subtract that much and add only a small amount back how can you be surprised at the results. I expect this is finally the year Sweeney pulls the trigger on something large at the deadline.

I wish Seidenberg hadn`t had a summer where surgery/recovery happened as I believe moving him rather than Boychuk would have been the way things turned out

Lucic though? No problem with trading him, this team couldn`t afford what he would want and I`ll judge the Hamilton deal once the time comes where the picks for him have been given enough time to assess whether they are contributors or not

Biggest problem for me is the exec`s assessment of pro talent, I think the amateur scouting job has been solid since DS came aboard, I have a feeling Neely`s hands are, for some reason, all over the pro talent, I think he has a type of player he wants and insists DS goes and gets that player

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I wish Seidenberg hadn`t had a summer where surgery/recovery happened as I believe moving him rather than Boychuk would have been the way things turned out

Lucic though? No problem with trading him, this team couldn`t afford what he would want and I`ll judge the Hamilton deal once the time comes where the picks for him have been given enough time to assess whether they are contributors or not

Biggest problem for me is the exec`s assessment of pro talent, I think the amateur scouting job has been solid since DS came aboard, I have a feeling Neely`s hands are, for some reason, all over the pro talent, I think he has a type of player he wants and insists DS goes and gets that player

I think long term those deals are fine. But it's simple math to realize the current state of our NHL roster. You subtract a 2nd line LW in Lucic who produces 25g-25a min. You subtract Johnny Boychuk who is a top pair D who plays heavy minutes. You subtract a 45pt defenseman in Hamilton. Guess what, This team is in DIRE need of a LW for Krejci, a partner for Krug and better D depth. They may not have been able to keep them all because of salary. But they sure coulda had better asset management. They have 3 average Dmen who get paid 9mil total including the Seidenberg buyout. And 6 mil in like 20 pts from Hayes and Beleskey combined. Like come on. All I'm saying is this is managements (both regimes, fire ****ing Neely holy ****) fault first over Julien and it doesn't surprise me where they are at.

They subtracted, had minor additions with Carlo and C. Miller, and I am not surprised at the results. Long term it will probably work out with all the assets they received. But, they have thrown away 3 seasons at least.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think your letting Sweeney off the hook here. I'm not saying Neely isn't a strong/major influence, and perhaps ordered a few of the acquisitions, is did and and is.

But you can't tell me the steady stream of poor player personnel decisions at the Pro level is all on Neely and Sweeney is just following his orders blindly.

I think there are a whole pile of poor talent evaluators in the front office, including Neely, Sweeney, Ferguson, and Bradley. Not to mention the pro scouting group.

I'd like to see all 4 of the names mentioned above shown the door at the end of this failed season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think long term those deals are fine. But it's simple math to realize the current state of our NHL roster. You subtract a 2nd line LW in Lucic who produces 25g-25a min. You subtract Johnny Boychuk who is a top pair D who plays heavy minutes. You subtract a 45pt defenseman in Hamilton. Guess what, This team is in DIRE need of a LW for Krejci, a partner for Krug and better D depth.

They subtracted, had minor additions with Carlo and C. Miller, and I am not surprised at the results. Long term it will probably work out with all the assets they received. But, they have thrown away 3 seasons at least.

watch Lucic with the Oilers right now, guy can`t keep up to the pace of play and that contract will be a killer. I`ve watched about 6-7 games of theirs this season and seen Looch play one game where I noticed him. Had an assertive game yesterday vs the Habs but...he ain`t hitting 25 and 25 again in his career

again, with Boychuk, had Seids not required surgery and realistically not having too many teams knocking on the door to take him off the B`s hands, he would have been the guy moved. I didn`t like the JB trade one bit but I understood it and why it had to happen

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
watch Lucic with the Oilers right now, guy can`t keep up to the pace of play and that contract will be a killer. I`ve watched about 6-7 games of theirs this season and seen Looch play one game where I noticed him. Had an assertive game yesterday vs the Habs but...he ain`t hitting 25 and 25 again in his career

again, with Boychuk, had Seids not required surgery and realistically not having too many teams knocking on the door to take him off the B`s hands, he would have been the guy moved. I didn`t like the JB trade one bit but I understood it and why it had to happen

They didn't have to trade all those guys for only futures, though.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I know Seidenberg was injured last year but he's having a heckuva bounce back season. He's playing 20 minutes a night, is on pace for 30 points and a plus 35. (His +20 leads the Isles by double digits.) We're paying him $1.16m for the next 4 years.

I know I'm definitely in the minority, but I didn't like them trading Lucic. People wonder why the Bruins have no identity and no following. Lucic was a core guy. He certainly was a guy that fans identified with. He's what they want. Look at that game the other night against Toronto. The loudest that building got was when McQuaid tuned up Martin. I don't consider myself a fight fan, and I know folks say fighting doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. They may be right... but it matters here. BRUINS fans want to see that element in addition to the Marchand/Pastrnak speed and skill plays. It is what it is and I think they've tried to replace elements of Lucic by signing Beleskey and Backes. So did they really save money?

I'm not buying the "Neely made me do it" excuse for Sweeney. I don't like Neely as team President, but Neely wanted to fire Julien and Sweeney said NO. If he can say no on something that important he can certainly assert himself when it comes to player decisions which is, after all, Sweeney's primary job.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Trying to include Benn and Brodie makes it such a dishonest article.

I find the use of the word "dishonest" pretty harsh.

The writer acknowledged all caveats, disclaimers and skews.

To the contrary, it takes research. Research is something that more people on this site should be encouraged to bring to the table.

With the assistance of 'research' we can come to our own conclusions.

The thesis of this piece is that the Bruins have been poor managers of their own assets. No one can argue this. They have been abysmal in this regard. One of, if not the worst.

I thank whomever shared this and whomever wrote this. It was interesting, and although the point is already well known here and across the hockey world, it is always much more redeeming to see this than to see a one sentence sniper shooting down another persons effort, or another person who was thoughtful enough to share it with the rest of us.

Sorry for the rant, but the word "dishonest" very much rankled me.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
In partial defense of Sweeney and why I don't think he's done a terrible job (yet):

The Hamilton/Looch deals have been done to death here and there isn't much more to add other than we'll have to see how they shake out. The picks might develop well or have (Carlo) and C. Miller looks like he might have the goods to be a top 4 d-man in the league.

I did not like the Liles and Stempniak deals because while I understand why they were made, I never thought those two guys were going to get us anywhere in the playoffs even if we had made it. They made the team marginally better in their respective positions (I think Liles more so than Stemp) but not good enough to sustain a deep playoff run. But again, I understand why it was done and why we didn't move Loui.

Beleskey and Hayes. They don't look like good signings now, but let's remember what these guys were before they came here. Beleskey was coming off a career season and a great playoffs and he hustles, hits, fights, and does have some offensive skill. If he was giving us what he has done historically- 12 15 goals and as many assists on a third line, we'd probably be okay with it. Hayes? He came off a 17 and 19 goal season on a team in our division. He was as much a known quantity as you can get outside your own team. If Jimmy was doing us 15 goals and 15-20 assists, we'd like him better. I just can't fault Sweeney that much on signing two players that should be better than they are.

4th liners: Moore, Schaller, Nash. I think most agree Moore was a good signing. I believe Schaller and Nash were brought in as 4th line/depth guys. If our 4th line was those three, and Nash was doing his historical and consistent 10/15 numbers on a 4th line, with Moore and Schaller, it would look pretty good. He works hard and is a great penalty killer. Injuries and inconsistencies (Beleskey, Hayes, Vatrano) put Nash and Schaller in roles they aren't suited for, but if they were playing where I think they were signed for, I think most would be okay with it.

Backes: I agree he hasn't brought what I hoped he would in terms of production (though he isn't far off his recent career averages), and I was uncertain about the length of term given his age. That said, we all painfully recall last season when on far too many nights the team went down and just folded up the tents and left. They just seemed to lack a fighting spirit, heart, determination, whatever you want to call it. This season has been the opposite most times. They still play poorly at times, but there isn't a lot quit in this year's team. And the only MAJOR personnel difference from last year to this is Backes. I am sure it isn't totally down to him alone, but I don't think that change in team character and Backes' arrival is entirely coincidental. From that perspective, I can't say that Sweeney made a bad call signing him.

Doby: he was as known a quantity as you can get and any reasonable person would have to agree that, at the time of the signing, it looked to be a decent move.

So the on ice product hasn't turned out so hot this season, we all can agree with that, but I think Sweeney has done okay- some whiffs but I think they were mainly well-reasoned moves that just didn't pan out. It happens to all GMs across all sports. I just don't see how he or his pro scouting staff can be totally blamed for guys like Hayes, Nash, Beleskey not performing to the levels they should.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
People want to fire Sweeney while half his first draft class are still teenagers :laugh:

Why? Because they want Claude protected ?

If we are going to start acting like impatient reactionists let's go off the road and hire Chip Kelly who worked for the 49ers who we would be becoming

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I find the use of the word "dishonest" pretty harsh.

The writer acknowledged all caveats, disclaimers and skews.

To the contrary, it takes research. Research is something that more people on this site should be encouraged to bring to the table.

With the assistance of 'research' we can come to our own conclusions.

The thesis of this piece is that the Bruins have been poor managers of their own assets. No one can argue this. They have been abysmal in this regard. One of, if not the worst.

I thank whomever shared this and whomever wrote this. It was interesting, and although the point is already well known here and across the hockey world, it is always much more redeeming to see this than to see a one sentence sniper shooting down another persons effort, or another person who was thoughtful enough to share it with the rest of us.

Sorry for the rant, but the word "dishonest" very much rankled me.

I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
In partial defense of Sweeney and why I don't think he's done a terrible job (yet):

The Hamilton/Looch deals have been done to death here and there isn't much more to add other than we'll have to see how they shake out. The picks might develop well or have (Carlo) and C. Miller looks like he might have the goods to be a top 4 d-man in the league.

I did not like the Liles and Stempniak deals because while I understand why they were made, I never thought those two guys were going to get us anywhere in the playoffs even if we had made it. They made the team marginally better in their respective positions (I think Liles more so than Stemp) but not good enough to sustain a deep playoff run. But again, I understand why it was done and why we didn't move Loui.

Beleskey and Hayes. They don't look like good signings now, but let's remember what these guys were before they came here. Beleskey was coming off a career season and a great playoffs and he hustles, hits, fights, and does have some offensive skill. If he was giving us what he has done historically- 12 15 goals and as many assists on a third line, we'd probably be okay with it. Hayes? He came off a 17 and 19 goal season on a team in our division. He was as much a known quantity as you can get outside your own team. If Jimmy was doing us 15 goals and 15-20 assists, we'd like him better. I just can't fault Sweeney that much on signing two players that should be better than they are.

4th liners: Moore, Schaller, Nash. I think most agree Moore was a good signing. I believe Schaller and Nash were brought in as 4th line/depth guys. If our 4th line was those three, and Nash was doing his historical and consistent 10/15 numbers on a 4th line, with Moore and Schaller, it would look pretty good. He works hard and is a great penalty killer. Injuries and inconsistencies (Beleskey, Hayes, Vatrano) put Nash and Schaller in roles they aren't suited for, but if they were playing where I think they were signed for, I think most would be okay with it.

Backes: I agree he hasn't brought what I hoped he would in terms of production (though he isn't far off his recent career averages), and I was uncertain about the length of term given his age. That said, we all painfully recall last season when on far too many nights the team went down and just folded up the tents and left. They just seemed to lack a fighting spirit, heart, determination, whatever you want to call it. This season has been the opposite most times. They still play poorly at times, but there isn't a lot quit in this year's team. And the only MAJOR personnel difference from last year to this is Backes. I am sure it isn't totally down to him alone, but I don't think that change in team character and Backes' arrival is entirely coincidental. From that perspective, I can't say that Sweeney made a bad call signing him.

Doby: he was as known a quantity as you can get and any reasonable person would have to agree that, at the time of the signing, it looked to be a decent move.

So the on ice product hasn't turned out so hot this season, we all can agree with that, but I think Sweeney has done okay- some whiffs but I think they were mainly well-reasoned moves that just didn't pan out. It happens to all GMs across all sports. I just don't see how he or his pro scouting staff can be totally blamed for guys like Hayes, Nash, Beleskey not performing to the levels they should.
Reasonable assessment of the current sad state of affairs for this franchise.

I would point out that Carlo was not the result of either of the Hamilton/Lucic trades.

I also find Nash totally useless. After a hard, but legal hit the other night against Toronto, all he could do was poke his stick at the offender. Beleskey had to come to his rescue and hit back. Sad response by a guy we'll have on the roster next year, unless he gets selected by the Knights. He's only making $900,000. But that money could go to a Cehlarik or Acciari or some other deserving youngster..

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Reasonable assessment of the current sad state of affairs for this franchise.

I would point out that Carlo was not the result of either of the Hamilton/Lucic trades.

I also find Nash totally useless. After a hard, but legal hit the other night against Toronto, all he could do was poke his stick at the offender. Beleskey had to come to his rescue and hit back. Sad response by a guy we'll have on the roster next year, unless he gets selected by the Knights. He's only making $900,000. But that money could go to a Cehlarik or Acciari or some other deserving youngster..

Right on Carlo, my mistake- that was the Boychuk trade. I too would rather see Acciari or Blidh taking Nash's spot on a 4th line, but I can see why Sweeney signed him nonetheless. Maybe Vegas will take him- it's probably too much to expect they take Hayes or Beleskey (on that contract).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad