Patriots 2001
Bruins 2008
Black Hawks 2006
Blue Jackets 2016

In the 3-5 years they all had last place finishes many multiple

They hung with their GM by and large other than Red Sox who bought team

Epstein gets credit for 2 of these but Duquette gets a huge assist

Bottom line Bruins fans are notoriously impatient and quick to want change

The Bruins plan is dradt and developing but I read Twitter and they focus on Jimmy Hayes and Zac Rinaldo

That's it

I voted Claude the best but they got a star in providence in Kevin Dean

Sell
Pick high
Promote Dean
Turf Hayes so we can move on
Sign Bjork McAvoy JFK

Also I saw a nice big crow while walking my dog today that's got Trent Frederic written all over it

I was so pissed when they took him I couldn't talk for 15 minutes :laugh:

Duguay glad to see you posting you're one of my all time favs

Thanks Dan, and I think you sensed my frustration following last nights game.

I saw that game as must win for this season. I could be wrong, but I fear I am right.

I do agree that patience is huge. And although, I am pointing the finger at a couple of different regimes here, it is what makes us impatient, and it all comes under the same owner/ the same brand.

If THEY ask for patience, we ask for it in return. Develop talent! You only get the best kind of it something like once per decade.

The top 6 here could look something like; Thornton, Bergeron, Krejci, Kessel, Marchand & Wheeler with Chara, Boychuck and Krug leading the back end.

Or, Thornton, Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Marchand and Pastrnak with Chara, Boychuk, Krug and Hamilton.

Add a piece to one of those two lineups and you are contending for the Cup every season.

I think it's fair to say that we have had no Bill Belichick's or Stan Bowman's in Boston.

We talk about development, I look back 3 seasons ago when DS was in charge of it and I see names like Jared Knight, Seth Griffin, Khoklachev, Camera, Matt Fraser, Jordon Caron, Ryan Spooner, Nick Svedberg, Malcolm Subban, Linus Arnesson and Joe Morrow, and well I ain't seeing a bunch of it.

Again, the blame can be laid at the feet of a couple of different bosses (and obviously **** poor drafting) but to me, as a fan, there is a theme.

Right now theme theme is the presence of the Jacobs and Cam Neely.

The owners aren't going anywhere, but for heavens sake, get us our freakin Belichick and let him run this thing.

I'd imagine some good fortune moving ahead with some prospects like McAvoy, Lauzon, Zboril, Senyshun, DeBrusk, Bjork and Cehlarik.

There are bound to be a couple of good ones in that grouping, but we will need patience and expertise. Lets not let Cam frighten the wits out of them by questioning whether they are 'Bruin enough.'

Its time for some big changes in my books. Across the board.

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
What's to be sold of value? Are we looking at a garage sale that cars don't even stop to peek at the products because they know they aren't worth spending on?

Beleskey
Spooner
Miller
Miller
Morrow
McQuaid
Czarnik
Nash
Schaller
Vatrano
Khudobin

...the rest are the top line and NTC players. I am with you here given that he doesn't appear to be interested in paying the price for a RHD and winger for Krejci but I don't see anyone giving out anything more than 5th round picks for anyone on that list other than Spooner.

Sad state for the NHL Bruins right now.

Well Shero just got a 4th round pick from Nashville for Vern Fiddler...... so I think these players have value. It's just that Sweeney needs to make some moves.
Spooner, Vatrano and C Miller are good players and need to stay. The rest listed should be shopped and hopefully bring some different assets to the organization.
I would add in Moore, Liles, Hayes, Accairi, and Blidh, in there as well and start to sell.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Simpy put, the Bruins are not a properly crafted team, and they have not been for some time now.

I have seen next to nothing, as an answer, from this teams Management in addressing it. Not even in small increments.

It's almost as though they don't see it, or they are paralyzed in fear in the chance they may make another huge blunder.

These are some very basic rudimentary issues that take a bold forward thinking GM to address.

We really are getting to the point of where we need to change out the entire front office in Boston.

All of them are culpable.

Claude is the best thing this team has going for it right now.

Enough is enough with Claude praise...his ongoing nonsensical line up decisions are full of question marks. He needs to go/should have been let go long ago.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I took 8 championship teams from the NHL MLB NFL- I tossed in Columbus

Red Sox 2000
Yankees 1993
Cubs 2015
Steelers 1973
Cowboys 1994
Patriots 2001
Bruins 2008
Black Hawks 2006
Blue Jackets 2016

In the 3-5 years they all had last place finishes many multiple

They hung with their GM by and large other than Red Sox who bought team

Epstein gets credit for 2 of these but Duquette gets a huge assist

Bottom line Bruins fans are notoriously impatient and quick to want change

The Bruins plan is dradt and developing but I read Twitter and they focus on Jimmy Hayes and Zac Rinaldo

That's it

I voted Claude the best but they got a star in providence in Kevin Dean

Sell
Pick high
Promote Dean
Turf Hayes so we can move on
Sign Bjork McAvoy JFK

Also I saw a nice big crow while walking my dog today that's got Trent Frederic written all over it

I was so pissed when they took him I couldn't talk for 15 minutes :laugh:

Duguay glad to see you posting you're one of my all time favs

DK I love what Sweens have coming up pipeline however Backes? Hayes? Nash? Schaller? Rinaldo? Liles? Stemniak? McQauid resigining? etc... Some very questionable moves?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Enough is enough with Claude praise...his ongoing nonsensical line up decisions are full of question marks. He needs to go/should have been let go long ago.

Hard to make sensible line up decisions with a nonsensical roster. You can rearrange the turds in a toilet any way you want, but in the end you still have a toilet full of turds.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I didn't say he shouldn't go. I really only mean that he's been left to piece this trashy lineup together. He is one of the top all time Coaches in the NHL but nope, across the board in Boston.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I didn't say he shouldn't go. I really only mean that he's been left to piece this trashy lineup together. He is one of the top all time Coaches in the NHL but nope, across the board in Boston.

Great coach and I hear you terrible lineup...But what is his fascination with slow d men? Insert Liles and Morrow I bet the team sees improvement.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just for interest sake I looked at a couple of Boston's biggest deals, deals that permeate to this day....and they have a terrible record of being taken advantage of unfortunately.

I understand that it's different regimes, and it is not always as simple as we can make it look in hindsight, but it does indicate an issue with incompetence and impatience at a managerial level.

That has been a theme in Boston.

*The Thornton trade is +622 points (and growing) in SJ's favour. A Hall of Famer player for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart, and Wayne Primeau

*The Seguin Trade is +61 (and growing) in the Stars favour

*The Wheeler Trade is +342 (and growing) in Atlanta/Winnipeg's favour

*The Boychuck Trade is +63 for the Islanders, but it did bring us a couple of young studs in Lindgren and Carlo.

Point being, you cannot make up 1,000 points in the NHL and this has echoed through the years in Boston. Don Sweeney contends with this to this day. It terrible asset management in Boston that continues to trickle down in time.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just for interest sake I looked at a couple of Boston's biggest deals, deals that permeate to this day....and they have a terrible record of being taken advantage of unfortunately.

I understand that it's different regimes, and it is not always as simple as we can make it look in hindsight, but it does indicate an issue with incompetence and impatience at a managerial level.

That has been a theme in Boston.

*The Thornton trade is +622 points (and growing) in SJ's favour. A Hall of Famer player for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart, and Wayne Primeau

*The Seguin Trade is +61 (and growing) in the Stars favour

*The Wheeler Trade is +342 (and growing) in Atlanta/Winnipeg's favour

*The Boychuck Trade is +63 for the Islanders, but it did bring us a couple of young studs in Lindgren and Carlo.

Point being, you cannot make up 1,000 points in the NHL and this has echoed through the years in Boston. Don Sweeney contends with this to this day. It terrible asset management in Boston that continues to trickle down in time.

Would they have won a cup with Wheeler instead?

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Would they have won a cup with Wheeler instead?

There is a chance they may not have without Pevs, but obviously there are more Pev types than Wheeler types -- ultimately.

I agreed with the deal at the time. Full disclosure. My point really just illustrates what Dan was saying. Patience and development. I am not sure Boston has been blessed with great longterm vision and asset management -- other than maybe for about 3 sweet year with Chiarelli.

He is now off somewhere else, making the same mistakes he made in Boston.

Patience and development also means we have to work with young, hard to come by talents like Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton, Thornton and Wheeler.

They don't grow on trees and this team fumbled what should have been a solid, year after year contender.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is a MANAGEMENT PROBLEM, FOR EFF'S SAKE!!!

"About the only good thing to come out of this ****ing game,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qie4VoSSGuE

Terrible game. Down 4-1, they come back to tie it at 5. So many blown coverage's, poor back checking, sloppy play. ****. The Leafs are now just one point behind the B's -- with four games in hand.

This is not really a coaching problem, although coaching obviously comes into it.

The Three Stooges (Don Sweeney, Cam Neely, Charlie Jacobs will likely make Claude Julien -- the winningest coach in Bruins history -- the scapegoat.

This is not even a player personnel issue. They have enough to play well.

This is a management issue. A hydra headed, muddled mess of confused and confusing "leadership." No one, not least the fans, knows who is in charge. There is no clear chain of accountability, nor defined roles.

Neely should do the right thing and step aside. A team president who has no clue, other than impuslively firing GM Peter Chiarelli (who must be, and should be, laughing his ass off in EDM) and repeatedly attempting to axe Claude as well.

This is Sinden Redux. It's awful.

Ugh.

End rant,

GH.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
There is a chance they may not have without Pevs, but obviously there are more Pev types than Wheeler types -- ultimately.

I agreed with the deal at the time. Full disclosure. My point really just illustrates what Dan was saying. Patience and development. I am not sure Boston has been blessed with great longterm vision and asset management -- other than maybe for about 3 sweet year with Chiarelli.

Patience and development also means we have to work with young, hard to come by talents like Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton, Thornton and Wheeler.

They don't grow on trees and this team fumbled what should have been a solid, year after year contender.

Personally,I knew Wheeler would be a 60 point guy,he just didn't fit here at that time and they used him. Seguin? We may never know,but lots of rumors that the trade was ordered by Jacobs and that his transgressions were worse than revealed,you can PM Dan on that. I think Hamilton and Kessel checked out mentally. Kessel would not even give a counteroffer,he wanted out. I can't rememeber the whys of the Thornton deal,but I think the resigning of Gill happened just prior and it put things in action.

Junior37

Sweeney and Neely

I have a hard time finding a good or great move they have made. Is there one? Chiarelli was bad at times too but Sweeney wasn't the choice. Time to bring back Jeff Gorton and promote to VP. Keith Gretzky as GM

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DK I love what Sweens have coming up pipeline however Backes? Hayes? Nash? Schaller? Rinaldo? Liles? Stemniak? McQauid resigining? etc... Some very questionable moves?

Yes agree agree agree on most I do like some

However I in all honesty don't know if he is 100% 50% 10% behind these

I really hope after they miss there is some clear cut information as to the level of Neely's input

The 'he's out scouting players' was a jaw dropper

What happened to Cam is in the elevator headed toward his car before Dirty Water is over after a win

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Thornton was in his 8th season with Boston when they traded him, not a young talent to develop. Bad trade, but they definitely wanted to get rid of him even knowing what they had.

Kessel didn't want to be here, from what I understand. So they made a good trade for him, ended up with Seguin.

As has been stated many times here (yet its still ignored) Seguin was traded because of off-ice issue. Bad trade again, but not like they wanted to get rid of him because of his play.

Wheeler deal was a shot at that Cup that worked out. Wasn't a deal to get rid of him.

Hamilton, not sure what to say about that. He may be another Kessel case, wanting out. But not a good move.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Thornton was in his 8th season with Boston when they traded him, not a young talent to develop. Bad trade, but they definitely wanted to get rid of him even knowing what they had.

Kessel didn't want to be here, from what I understand. So they made a good trade for him, ended up with Seguin.

As has been stated many times here (yet its still ignored) Seguin was traded because of off-ice issue. Bad trade again, but not like they wanted to get rid of him because of his play.

Wheeler deal was a shot at that Cup that worked out. Wasn't a deal to get rid of him.

Hamilton, not sure what to say about that. He may be another Kessel case, wanting out. But not a good move.

Yes I know there were underlying reasons. The point is, you can't make *BAD* trades. See the point differentials? Who can afford to give those types of points up?

Yes and players not wanting to play in Boston is part of the problem. Why, is the question really isn't it?

Never heard Keith, Kane, Toews, Seabrook,, Hossa, Hjalmarsson, Crawford talk like that.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yes I know there were underlying reasons. The point is, you can't make *BAD* trades. See the point differentials? Who can afford to give those types of points up?

Yes and players not wanting to play in Boston is part of the problem. Why, is the question really isn't it?

Never heard Keith, Kane, Toews, Seabrook,, Hossa, Hjalmarsson, Crawford talk like that.

I'm not a fan of the points differential thing. The teams that acquired those points haven't won anything. SJ has been mostly good to excellent,Dallas remains mediocre as does Winnipeg and so was Toronto.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not a fan of the points differential thing. The teams that acquired those points haven't won anything. SJ has been mostly good to excellent,Dallas remains mediocre as does Winnipeg and so was Toronto.

You don't judge an individual deal by what the whole team accomplishes. Dallas won the Seguin trade. That has nothing to do with their not having NHL quality goaltending. SJ won that deal despite never winning the Cup. 1 good or even great deal doesn't guarantee your team wins. But not winning a Cup doesn't mean a deal wasn't good or great.

If we use your rationale, then every deal Sweeney has made has been a fail since the B's haven't won a Cup (or even made the playoffs) with him in charge.

The Wheeler deal you can at least make an argument that it was a worthy sacrifice in pure value. The others are all clear losses.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have a hard time finding a good or great move they have made. Is there one? Chiarelli was bad at times too but Sweeney wasn't the choice. Time to bring back Jeff Gorton and promote to VP. Keith Gretzky as GM

"Sweeney wasn't [what/whose] choice?"

Keith Gretzky is no longer employed by your Boston Bruins.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Sweeney gets a bad grade from me. He knows (or at least should have known) that Rask isn't a workhorse type, so why didn't he acquire a good backup? I don't know what the team's cap situation is like, but they could have claimed Jaro Halak off waivers in December. That is exactly the type of goalie we need--someone who can relieve or even replace Rask when he inevitably starts to wear down. We now have a huge hill to climb, with no end to Rask's struggles in sight.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Why would Gorton want to come back here to this mess?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
3 Potential Replacements for Don Sweeney...

Google available GM's and saw an article about guys up for the LV job and thought a couple of them could be good fits here...

Paul Fenton
Current: Asst. GM, Nashville Predators
Past: Dir. of Player Personnel, Nashville Predators, 1998-2006
He and David Poile have built hockey in Nashville from the ground up, and there’s no reason to believe the lessons Fenton has learned in ‘Music City’ can’t translate. The Predators have had consistent success under Poile and Fenton and they’ve done it while keeping a budget.
(I like that NAS puts a heavy focus on drafting and developing but is also not afraid to pull the trigger on a big deals like Seth Jones for RyJo and Webber for Subban. That's the kind of bold thinking this team needs if it's going for a rebuild.)

Les Jackson
Current: Asst. GM, Dallas Stars
Recent: Dir. of Player Development, Dallas Stars, 2009-2013
He’s currently in his second go-round as Stars assistant GM and he has more experience than almost any other candidate. Aside from one and a half seasons in the GM role with Dallas, though, Jackson has never held the top job. However, he did make one significant trade in his short stint as Dallas’ GM, acquiring Brad Richards from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a four-player package that included Jeff Halpern, Jussi Jokinen and Mike Smith. Richards worked out well in Dallas, scoring 70 goals and 227 points in 220 games.
(Like Fenton, Jackson has a focus on player development but also had the cajones to make a major move acquiring Richards.)

Mike Futa
Current: Dir. of Player Personnel, Los Angeles Kings
Past: GM, Owen Sound Attack (OHL), 2002-2007
Before the Maple Leafs went out and shocked everyone by bringing Lou Lamoriello on board, there were some who considered Futa one of the top candidates to take over in Toronto’s front office. Futa has spent seven seasons working for Dean Lombardi’s staff, and that’s invaluable experience under a GM who is widely considered one of the best in the league.
Futa doesn’t necessarily get the credit for the Kings’ Stanley Cup victories, but he was the director of amateur scouting during a period in which Los Angeles selected Drew Doughty, Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford, Brayden Schenn, Alec Martinez, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson…you get the point. Futa’s draft record has shown he’s a good talent evaluator and he’s hit big on a few selections, some of which are second-round or lower selections.
The experience in the OHL won’t prepare him entirely for the role as an NHL GM, but his time in Los Angeles will have. That’s not to mention he would understand the Western U.S. market.
(I like the kinds of teams LA has built but you don't know if he'll be just like Sweeney when it comes to making deals and managing the NHL roster.)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...m-candidates-for-the-las-vegas-expansion-team

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

while his lineup`s often frustrate me, I`d be far more frustrated if there was clearly and absolute stronger talent sitting on the bench or upstairs that should be on the ice, truth is, there is next to nothing in the cupboard with this team outside of the Bergy line

Soon I expect to see a call up or two as this team slips further out of it which I am all for, but I am also a fan that doesn`t believe any of those call ups would make a difference, more about giving them a taste of NHL game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad