Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I thought today was the first day teams could talk to free agents and then sign on October 9th.

That has been eliminated in the new CBA.

May not see a lot happening right at noon on October 9.

Then again, you might see some trades because GM's don't know where they stand with potential free agents?

I don't know. I'll stop typing now.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
I think people should keep in mind that including Rask, Krejci, Debrusk or Carlo in a trade proposal doesn't automatically mean it's due to undervaluing them or not appreciating them as players.

Debrusk is RFA, without arbitration rights, which may make him slightly more valuable to a team acquiring him than typical RFA. He has potential but there are some proven wings on the FA market, so it should not be a surprise to see people putting him in deals.

Rask and Krejci both have $7+ million deals expiring after the season. Trading them guarantees some kind of return rather than potentially letting them walk in a year, and depending on the return you may shore up other areas. This would also free up cap space that can be used to sign free agents now.

Carlo is a young, cost controlled right handed top 4 D, which is also a valuable trade piece. It makes sense to some to move him if you are getting another higher priced top 4 D in a trade or free agency, and you know the assets you can get back for him will be valuable.

Sure, some people dislike these players or in order to justify putting them in a trade, point out their problem areas. But I think the fact that they are in ll these trade proposals is because outside of the untouchable top line and McAvoy they are likely the most valuable trade chips Boston has right now, not because people think they suck as players.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I thought today was the first day teams could talk to free agents and then sign on October 9th.

That has been eliminated in the new CBA.

May not see a lot happening right at noon on October 9.

Then again, you might see some trades because GM's don't know where they stand with potential free agents?

I don't know. I'll stop typing now.

The unknown about the UFA's seems to be holding up a lot here.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What about these proposals

To Avs: Rask, Carlo
To Bruins: 2020 1st (25th), Zadarov, Nichushkin, Grubauer

To Coyotes: 2020 1st (25th), Beecher, Vaaka
To Bruins: OEL

To Devils: Debrusk
To Bruins: 2020 1st (20th), Miles Wood

To Oilers: Bjork, Zboril
To Bruins: Larsson, future 3rd

Trade for cap space
Kase for future 3rd
Ritchie for future 4th
Moore for future 3rd
Wagner for future 3rd

*sign Zadarov and Nichushkin to a 3 year 2 million per season deals

Roster
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Nichushkin Krejci Dadonov
Wood Coyle Studnicka
Frederic Kuraly Senyshyn
Kuhlman

OEL McAvoy
Grz Larsson
Zadarov Clifton/Lauzon

Grubauer
Halak

Thankful Sweeney is the GM after this mock.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt the Bruins will trade him in the next month. Or else Sweeney head could blow up. Too much on his plate already

Bruins need a #2 center anyways. I mean if anything they could entertain a trade at the trade deadline. OR just keep him for the season and let him walk
Krejci has a modified NMC

he picks 15 teams he would approve a trade to

how easy is that to basically have a no trade

Pittsburgh
Rangers
Carolina
Toronto
Tampa
Washington
Islanders
Ottawa
Montreal
Philadelphia
Colorado
Vegas
Blues
Columbus
Buffalo

he could box them in faster than my dog eats her dinner

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Krejci has a modified NMC

he picks 15 teams he would approve a trade to

how easy is that to basically have a no trade

Pittsburgh
Rangers
Carolina
Toronto
Tampa
Washington
Islanders
Ottawa
Montreal
Philadelphia
Colorado
Vegas
Blues
Columbus
Buffalo

he could box them in faster than my dog eats her dinner

The issue is his large salary and what the Bruins are willing to take in return. I mean if it consist of picks and prospects fine

But also the team has nobody to play #2 center position. I like the idea of playing Stud on the RW of Coyle for one season, so he can gain experience/learn from Coyle how to manage the position at the NHL level

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't see any reason for anyone to be disappointed. In order to be disappointed, you have to have expectations that something else will happen. I'm not sure how you can be a Bruins fan and expect them to make some kind of big move. If you do, then you're basically Charlie Brown.

200.gif

Expect nothing to happen, and then if it does, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
wELp, at the rate I'm losing hair, I'm not too far off from Chaahrleee.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He was noticable. Had 2 points in 4 games and 3 points in 6 games total. He's fast and has size. Having him on the third line for 20-40 games would only make sense. Sicks when kids don't get a true chance and end up getting traded before they can show. Small sample size seems like a player that deserves a chance instead of being compared to Barzal.

Senyshyn had two points taken off on ticky tacky instant replay results too. Should have been 4 points/4 games and 5/6 overall.

I just don't know if management wants to depend on a rookie with limited NHL time to be playing on the pro roster in a very important year for this core. I personally want to see both Stud and Senyshyn in the lineup in some capacity to start to show what they can do. But I don't think it'll happen.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I doubt the Bruins will trade him in the next month. Or else Sweeney head could blow up. Too much on his plate already

Bruins need a #2 center anyways. I mean if anything they could entertain a trade at the trade deadline. OR just keep him for the season and let him walk
Bottom line: If something works, don't "fix" it. DK is the least of our problems IMO. So we have a hole on 2RW what's new!?! I'm with you The Sweeney-Meister has enough on his plate.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The issue is his large salary and what the Bruins are willing to take in return. I mean if it consist of picks and prospects fine

But also the team has nobody to play #2 center position. I like the idea of playing Stud on the RW of Coyle for one season, so he can gain experience/learn from Coyle how to manage the position at the NHL level
Bruins are still butt hurt of losing game 7 and not getting winning this year as Top overall point leaders

Krejci staying is what everyone tells me as they take another hard heavy kick at this

Bruins have cap space to even take OEL

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Free agents can choose any team. Boston has rarely been that team. People love penciling in UFA's but in reality there are several teams ahead of Boston as far as appeal and willingness to pay money.

Then you have OEL locked in and only willing to go to Boston and a cap constrained Canucks. I like your optimism on UFA's but the last decade has taught us that the Bruins don't do well at all with UFA's. At all.

I get it.

I should have prefaced my post by saying that given this historically unique and uncertain market because of Corona, the Bruins need to take advantage.

If this were a typical year, I wouldn’t be as optimistic.

However, given the fact that a lot of teams that would otherwise be in the mix for a given free agent, might not be, I think the Bruins can get one or two of Hall, Hoffman, Dadanov, Toffoli, Dillon or Granlund.

Couple the market situation with the fact that the Rask/Bergeron/Krejci/Chara? window is closing fast, I can’t believe any GM would choose to do anything other than go “all in” for the next two to three years.

Then again, I’m just a fan, so what I’d do based on the very limited amount of information I have compared to Sweeney, is likely very different.

Still, it’s fun to pretend sometimes.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I get it.

I should have prefaced my post by saying that given this historically unique and uncertain market because of Corona, the Bruins need to take advantage.

If this were a typical year, I wouldn’t be as optimistic.

However, given the fact that a lot of teams that would otherwise be in the mix for a given free agent, might not be, I think the Bruins can get one or two of Hall, Hoffman, Dadanov, Toffoli, Dillon or Granlund.

Couple the market situation with the fact that the Rask/Bergeron/Krejci/Chara? window is closing fast, I can’t believe ant GM would choose to do anything other than go “all in” for the next two to three years.

Then again, I’m just a fan, so what I’d do based on the very limited amount of information I have compared to Sweeney, is likely very different.

Still, it’s fun to pretend sometimes.

It really is. A great distraction and contrasting opinions sheds light on players and ideas I hadn't thought of. I know absolutely nothing about Dadonov. Not a thing. But I can tell you a lot about the Canucks players, OEL, Laine and every Shark lol.

Now, it's what Sweeney is willing to do that counts here.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bruins are still butt hurt of losing game 7 and not getting winning this year as Top overall point leaders

Krejci staying is what everyone tells me as they take another hard heavy kick at this

Bruins have cap space to even take OEL
Okay Dan, it's time to squeeze you a little bit. You seem to have an angle on what to expect. So do you feel as though OEL is going to end up here?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Reading the Arizona board, apparently OEL and Markstrom are good friends.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It really is. A great distraction and contrasting opinions sheds light on players and ideas I hadn't thought of. I know absolutely nothing about Dadonov. Not a thing. But I can tell you a lot about the Canucks players, OEL, Laine and every Shark lol.

Now, it's what Sweeney is willing to do that counts here.

I don’t watch nearly as many out of market games as I used to, but when I see Consistent goal totals in the mid-high 20’s like Dadanov has had since 2018, I get a little excited.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Senyshyn had two points taken off on ticky tacky instant replay results too. Should have been 4 points/4 games and 5/6 overall.

I just don't know if management wants to depend on a rookie with limited NHL time to be playing on the pro roster in a very important year for this core. I personally want to see both Stud and Senyshyn in the lineup in some capacity to start to show what they can do. But I don't think it'll happen.
I hear ya but it's not like they are relying on them. Use a third and fourth line spot to assess their talent. I would have frederic, senyshyn, studnika all on the roster opening night. Only question mark would be senyshyn but again give him a legit chance before using him as a thrown in. Bare minimum he proves to be a bust. What if he impresses and proves worthy while saving face on the 2015 draft.

Reactions: PB37 and Gordoff

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
.5 points a game with size and speed isn't good enough?

Fair or not he will always be compared to the ones that got away

More specifically - the draft was years ago and what we have seen so far suggests a third liner ( maybe)- that doesn't bring a lot of value in a trade

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The scene is summer 2018:
Bruins after John Tavares
Rumor is Krejci is being dealt
Bruins after JVR
Krug trade rumors

Result:
John Moore and a Halak for Khudobin swap

not sayin just sayin

That’s my fear.

Seem to be after big names but how aggressive is Sweeney really?
Is he trying to get them on cheap contracts or is he honestly competing with others willing to pay high end money and putting up real presentations

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Fair or not he will always be compared to the ones that got away

More specifically - the draft was years ago and what we have seen so far suggests a third liner ( maybe)- that doesn't bring a lot of value in a trade
Then why trade him? Six games for a kid to prove himself is embarrassing. I truly believe if he is traded, he will prove the bruins wrong. What's wrong with a 15 goal winger with upside, size and speed next to Coyle and he's free. Doesn't pan out then trade him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad