Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don’t watch nearly as many out of market games as I used to, but when I see Consistent goal totals in the mid-high 20’s like Dadanov has had since 2018, I get a little excited.

It's that age and length of contract that scare me a lot. Plus, deduct his PP time as he would almost certainly be on the 2nd PP.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's that age and length of contract that scare me a lot. Plus, deduct his PP time as he would almost certainly be on the 2nd PP.

True, it’s always a tough decision for GM’s.

Maybe get creative and give him a little more for less years?

Who knows, lol.

At the very least, he’s at least a threat to score and his name isn’t Pastrnak or Marchand.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Okay Dan, it's time to squeeze you a little bit. You seem to have an angle on what to expect. So do you feel as though OEL is going to end up here?
1. Arizona needs to get out of that $60 M? Seems legit
2. OEL knows this and has full NMC so he’s got them by the nuts ~ again if true he said Boston or Vancouver
3. If I’m the Arizona GM I want in order of importance
a) Financial relief of that contract
b) very good prospects/players
c) draft pick

If he wants Bruins and the Bruins are down 45 minutes in LHD

seems to pass sniff test

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
If we're comfortable determining his scoring rate based on a 4 game sample, are we also comfortable saying he'll get injured once every four games based on the same sample?
You made my point for me. We can't base a player on such a small sample size. That's all I'm trying to say. He needs a longer try out than a cup of coffee. Don't really know what you have. Always look back at marchand as a fourth liner and potting 20. No senyshyn ain't marchand but could be a 15-20 goal third line winger already in house. Bjork doesn't do anything for me but gets a ton of time and a contract extension but you can't give senyshyn a try? Other factor is they continue putting plugs in the bottom six and blocking some rooks from their chance.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
.5 points a game with size and speed isn't good enough?
No he isn't good enough.
There used to be an adage; stats don't tell the whole story, and that is correct. However, the biggest problem I see with people supporting Senyshyn is their fervent belief that stats are irrelevant, which is preposterous.

He has played 192 professional games in the NHL an AHL - those six games represent 3 per cent of all professional games played. I'll take the 97% of the other games where he hasn't played well instead to make a judgement. Not to mention, I don't agree he looked good while in Boston.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
OEL vs Krug the grass is always greener on the other side. Hey Marchand,pasta,Bergeron we just traded for OEL he makes 8.5 and we let your Buddy Torrey go. How ya feeling

Reactions: TCB

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Then why trade him? Six games for a kid to prove himself is embarrassing. I truly believe if he is traded, he will prove the bruins wrong. What's wrong with a 15 goal winger with upside, size and speed next to Coyle and he's free. Doesn't pan out then trade him
Makes too much sense. The one thing that they don't teach at Harvard is common sense, that's an asset that you're either born with or you're not.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
No he isn't good enough.
There used to be an adage; stats don't tell the whole story, and that is correct. However, the biggest problem I see with people supporting Senyshyn is their fervent belief that stats are irrelevant, which is preposterous.

He has played 192 professional games in the NHL an AHL - those six games represent 3 per cent of all professional games played. I'll take the 97% of the other games where he hasn't played well instead to make a judgement. Not to mention, I don't agree he looked good while in Boston.
To each there own I guess. If he doesn't pot 30 a year he's a bust. All I'm saying is give him a chance. Did you watch his games in Boston? He looked damn good to me as a newbie. At least we have Bjork for his 14 goals in 108 games. Or Ritchie trying to keep up. Or Nordstrom or Kuraly on the third for they scoring ability

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Sweeney signs Krug that’s moving backwards. They won’t have enough money to get #1 D and a Forward.

It will be the same ole same ole with this team.

I think that ship has sailed
Bruins waiting for Arizona to make up their mind already.

Listening to Friedman yesterday regarding ongoing offseason intel , Coyotes like what Bruins have to offer just a little bit more than the Canucks. Waiting to see if the Canucks can up the ante.

I really hope a decision is made by draft day. Can't have this go on for another month

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I wasn't advocating a trade - for the simple reason his trade value is so low

What I am saying is he is a 2015 first round draft who has six games at the NHL level- not what anyone would consider a draft success

Maybe the Bs haven't done a good job of developing him but in a league that has tilted so young his is not a great story

Where I think we agree..give him a shot at the beginning of the season and see what is there...if he is a positive surprise than great, if not tip your hat to the Board pundits and move on

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Then why trade him? Six games for a kid to prove himself is embarrassing. I truly believe if he is traded, he will prove the bruins wrong. What's wrong with a 15 goal winger with upside, size and speed next to Coyle and he's free. Doesn't pan out then trade him

I still think there's time for him to forge a Brett Connolly-like career as a 15-20 goal 3rd liner. We are starting to get into make or break territory with him though. Personally, I think he should have been playing over Kulhman all year on the pro roster. Kulhman was a free asset that they signed out of college - nobody would bat an eye if they kept him stashed in Providence and picking up points like he was. With Senyshyn, they used a 1st round pick in a highly profitable draft and he showed in a brief stint that he can play as long as he's surrounded by a play driver like Coyle. It's time to let him showcase his skills, give him a 40 game run like Kulhman's received.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
To each there own I guess. If he doesn't pot 30 a year he's a bust. All I'm saying is give him a chance. Did you watch his games in Boston? He looked damn good to me as a newbie. At least we have Bjork for his 14 goals in 108 games. Or Ritchie trying to keep up. Or Nordstrom or Kuraly on the third for they scoring ability
All better hockey players than Senyshyn.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
All better hockey players than Senyshyn.
Ahhh ok that's clear then. Grinders for everyone. Sweeny has had an effect on you. Senyshyn needs a chance and has a higher offensive ceiling over everyone of those players with the exception of maybe Bjork and that's a stretch.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This is not a reply to you, it's a reply to 'Nucks fans: Big deal! There are dozens of close friendships around every league, even the NHL. Big deal!
I'd say it does help in free agency situations. This isn't one. But it is likely at least a partial reason why Van is considered...

Fatmancryin

Nov 12, 2018
Could Arizona do a sign and trade with Hall?

To Boston: OEL and Hall

What would that look like from what the Bruins would have to give up?

Is it even possible?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
OEL is basically begging to come to Boston, maybe Sweeney steals the man right out of Arizona for cheap.

Does Sweeney have what it takes to actually get one of the bigger deals over the goal line?

It's been 5 years.

This offseason is just tailor made for Sweeney to take advantage of other teams, he can't miss it.

Reactions: Emerz

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Is OEL that good?

Well at one point he was receiving Norris votes on a dumpster fire Arizona team, much of his recent down years has been blamed on Tocchet and the death of his mother + getting the C. He could come to Boston, get stapled on the 1st pair and have the rocket winner as his right side pass option and a 100+ point winger as his left wing pass option.

I truly think he could get back to that form on our team, he also is only 29, defenseman typically age better than forwards in my estimation.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What I don’t get is the infatuation with trading for guys when there are good free agents available.

Yes, OEL is better than any FA defenseman aside from AP, but sending out anyone at the DeBrusk level, plus a 1 and/or 2 and other assets is dumb.

Now, if they’d bite on Bjork, Clifton, Beecher/Vaak and a 3, then sure, get him. However that’s highly unlikely.

In the end, this team can let Krug walk and with a few moves that send out guys like Kase, Moore, maybe Kuraly too for futures, can sign Dadanov or Hoffman, Dillon and maybe even Toffoli.

All without giving up JDB, Grzelcyk or valuable picks.

Now, if they’re hell bent on moving Rask, they can sign a Holtby or Lehner or Markstrom and be in good shape via the assets they get for Tuukka.
Lehner signed yesterday with Vegas

Reactions: sarge88

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Ahhh ok that's clear then. Grinders for everyone. Sweeny has had an effect on you. Senyshyn needs a chance and has a higher offensive ceiling over everyone of those players with the exception of maybe Bjork and that's a stretch.
Guy who can't score 15-20 goals/year in the AHL is suddenly going to start potting 15-20 goals/year in the NHL?

I'm not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad