Management Don Sweeney on trade deadline

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
I don't want to come off as an a$$ but all of these so-called experts grading the trade deadline really aren't much more knowledgable than the contributors to this board. Honestly, the members here know more than most of the experts. In many cases I would say these "writers" are no more than wannabe "insiders". Last year these same experts praised the moves by the Bruins at the deadline only for all of us to witness the train derail in the first round. I loved those moves as well. Those moves (draining draft picks) and other factors (Bergy and Krech bonuses) limited the ability to make meaningful moves this year at the deadline. That said, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the game is played on the ice and not on the stat sheets or on some blog from a nobody. I like the position this team is sitting in right now. They know they can't just show up and win like it felt last season. Let's face it, we all want them to win a cup but it's a war of attrition come playoff time and perhaps the experience of last postseason has hardened the core of the team for a deeper playoff run.
Sweeney traded away two more draft picks and a prospect.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This! Plus I do like what he did to start the season ... adding a bunch of has been / out of sort cast away players. Not a bad way to move forward.
Right?!

In the last 12 months he's shown he can go all in to create an all time roster OR he can piece together a dirty dozen of retreads and castaways that's currently top in the league and murders playoff caliber teams.

But somehow he eats turds in here over for giving up a 3rd round pick years from now or not getting CLB to retain 750k.

Must just be the nature of this place

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Right?!

In the last 12 months he's shown he can go all in to create an all time roster OR he can piece together a dirty dozen of retreads and castaways that's currently top in the league and murders playoff caliber teams.

But somehow he eats turds in here over for giving up a 3rd round pick years from now or not getting CLB to retain 750k.

If he made this deal a few years ago he wouldn't have been able to draft Chris Pelosi.

I'm with you though, I think he's done a great job, especially this season. Geekie, JeBo, Heinen, JVR....Wortherspoon....He has been gold.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Right?!

You can be arguably the biggest Sweeney supporter in this forum (me) and also be critical of the Peeke deal (also me).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nope, Beechers flaws don't make up for his faceoff %. When Beecher mails it in on a shift we get scored on. That's a big reason he is in Providence outside of the cap hit. Boqvist may not be as good at the faceoff dot, but he has less rookie warts and his speed is causing problems.

This is the opposite of what I wanted earlier, I admit it. I wanted a heavy line with Beecher, Lauko, and Lucic. But this Boqvist line works in a different way without being a determent.

Watch them.

VEGAS DOES WHAT IT WANTS
Are they in a tax free state?

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
this team works miracles with defensemen, which is why I am bullish on Peeke.

Reminds me of Tinordi when he got here. Everyone said he sucked and then he played and he was solid. Then he left and everyone said he sucked again. I don't think it's a coincidence that he was a fine dman here. Same can be said for Steven Kampfer.

Also I remember trading a 3rd round pick for Zac Rinaldo. I'm not gonna freak out over taking a chance on a defenseman.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Trading a third round pick for a known commodity is a win every time.
Pretty much. Last 10 years of Boston's Third Round Picks:

90th - Peter Cehlarik

86th Traded - Mark Friedman

75th - Dan Vladar

75th Traded - Jack Lafontaine

80th Traded - Kirill Ustimenko

77th from FLA - Jakub Lauko
88th Traded - Joey Keane

92nd - Quinn Olsen

89th - Trevor Kunter

85th - Brett Harrison

87th Traded - Tomas Hamara
91st Traded - Ben MacDonald

92nd - Christopher Pelosi

While the verdict is still out on the most recent picks, None of those players is make or break and the most notable player to me (Lauko) wasn't even Boston's pick to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad