Management Don Sweeney on trade deadline

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY

Don Sweeney addressing the media…

“Thanks, everybody. This was probably a little quieter deadline relative to last year. For some teams, us, maybe not some others. As you all know, it's not just one day, it's obviously a long time leading up to the deadline so to speak. We felt comfortable where our team, in the last three games, has played. Certainly taking a better direction, credit to the staff for sort of getting their attention and getting the players responding. Last night's game probably indicates where playoff hockey is going to turn start to take a turn into, we tried to address the depth of our club in particular areas. And then we're going to…we needed to also give the group a push, you know? People will ask me in terms of maintaining UFAs [Unrestricted free agents] and bending UFAs and such, but for our group and the work that they put in this year, we're trying to put together the best most competitive team we can… and that was the direction we decided to go today, and continue to add to our group. And thanks to Luke Toporowski and Jakub Zboril for being Boston Bruins and wish them well, both in Minnesota and with Columbus.”

On where Pat Maroon [Patrick Maroon] and Andrew Peeke are at currently…

“Pat’s [Patrick Maroon] coming back off of disc surgery, so he's probably four and a half weeks removed, just starting to back on the ice. We don't have a definitive timeline there. We'll just let that play out, get accustomed with our medical team, and let him progress. We know when he plays his best hockey, and the fact is that he's been part of championship teams, and the pedigree that he has, and what he brings to the table… I think was important to us on and off the ice, and we're excited to bring Pat on board. Andrew [Peeke] addresses another need for us, in depth in the right side, size, penalty killing. In years past, we've gone through most of the defenseman at certain times and areas of the game that he can help booster our group and bring balance to our group…I think is important. He's been in and out of the lineup, we've watched him… even the last couple of nights… where he's gone in and played 20 minutes against the Oilers last night. So I think it’ll be an adjustment coming into a new structure and the systems that we play…But we're excited about going to work with him as a bigger body in the right side that I think is hard to find. It's not a rental, you know, we have that that player moving forward. He's young, and we'll have to make sure we continue to sharpen up his game. He's excited.”

On where they’re at in terms of cap space right now and if there’s anything additional they need to do in terms of calling up and sending players down…
“No, and one of the items that obviously came out today was in regards to Derek Forbort, and we went to put Derek on LTIR [Long Term Injured Reserve] today. People should realize that Derek [Forbort] has been playing through two significant injuries. One for sure is requiring surgery, and the other is one that quite possibly could. So real kudos, and testament to the character of Derek, and wanting to be that ultimate team player and play through some significant pain and injuries. But it got to a point where it was not feasible for him to continue to play.”

On if Maroon will be on regular IR [Injured Reserve] now…

“Yep. Yeah, and we have the option.”

On mentioning earlier that he loved how the team played this week and if this affected how he approached the trade deadline…

“Well you never know, because you're doing a lot of legwork in terms of what materializes. We've been a little challenged in the fact that we have been aggressive in years with draft capital, and whether or not we wanted to move younger players that have actually come onto our team this year and added to the depth of our club and the success of our club….Another challenging thing. You see a lot of players that, at this time of the year, they move on and go on… We were pinched a little in that regard, and we knew that going in, but we wanted to make sure we gave a push to our group now. The last three games wasn't a reaction in any sense, it was just a good indication that this group wanted to buckle down, hope that we're going to add, and believe in them, and I think we tried to do that.”

On if Forbort’s season is over…

“Yeah, more than likely.”

On the center position and how the centers have played this season…

“I actually give our center a lot of credit. You know, they’ve come in and, Charlie’s [Coyle] gone in and elevated, [Pavel] Zacha has gone in and elevated, [Morgan] Geekie, you look the point production that those guys have had…Freddy’s [Trent Frederic] gone in and played the middle of the ice. You know we had Matty [Matt Poitras] and unfortunately, we lost Matty to shoulder surgery, you know [Jesper] Boqvist has gone in and played there, Beech [John Beecher], Brownie [Patrick Brown] has played there. So yeah, I think the collection of the group we knew is going to have to be by committee. But I tell you the committee has done a pretty good job. So, we have depth there, it’s going to get tested for sure, but I think these guys would acknowledge, Charlie has acknowledged, I was excited for that opportunity. You know, people just cast the guy into a third line role. You know, that's not necessarily everything he's capable of doing. I think he showed that this year and I think Zacha has done the same thing, and Morgan has. So, we hope it continues. I think we've gotten good production out of that group, and we need it to continue to have some success.”

On potential goaltender trade talks…
“I really like the tandem and we have right now I'm very happy that we've stand pat there. Rumors are rumors in terms of what happens in private conversations. You guys told me well enough it's not coming from here in terms of what we're trying to explore and what other teams are asking about. I made no bones and if I had to, to rob from a real strength as hockey club that was something we may have to do, if it that made our team ultimately better, and we didn't move in that direction. But that's not an indictment on the two great goaltenders we have. It's actually been a real strength of our hockey club from day one, and it'll continue throughout, and we feel very comfortable each and every night. We just went through a road trip and I think that was a testament to the fact that we had a chance to win those games. We left some points on the table everybody acknowledges, but you roll into Calgary, quarter to four or whatever, quarter three sorry, or whatever it was in the back-to-back. You know, Linus is going in net, you get through the first period not playing very well but he keeps us in the game in that sense. So, we feel good about that. That's a luxury for us and we're going to utilize.”

On the decision to not trade a goaltender…

“Well, if we were going to do that and potentially weaken our hockey club in that area, it had to offset somewhere else, and we didn't find the right situation that might have done that. I wasn't overly aggressive about it. But I certainly was not unlike several other situations on the back end, and the forward group, that's just the job. And I've said that before and I'm going to protect the conversations that I have because as I said before this is a human part of it you know. Guys lives were disrupted today in some cases really excited. Talked to Andrew Peeke, and like you know he's on a plane, he's getting here tonight at seven o'clock like those are exciting things to hear about joining a team. Same with Pat [Maroon], you know, so, you know, hopefully everybody here is really excited to be here and then we go forward.”

On it potentially being the most difficult trade deadline yet for the team…

“Probably so, that's probably accurate. Each deadline, you know, is sort of unique, where your team is that sometimes indicates that. You know, when I've been in different circumstances, you know, very first year where you're, you're fairly comfortable, but you don't do enough, and then you sort of second guess yourself and say, well, I need to do better and today was exactly an example of that. You want to be an aggressive General Manager to help your club. Like were’re in a very good spot. We're not in, you know, but I think we were tracking in the right direction, and you want to reward your hockey club. You know, and the staff and what they're doing. It just pointed the fact that they did such a good job of getting the attention of the guys, you know, heading to this three-game stretch, and hopefully we can continue that, but that's what you want to reward the organization and all the efforts that these players put forth each and every day. And I've always come from the position of being one that you know, you have to believe in each other and then just see what you can accomplish.”

On this year’s roster’s ability to make a playoff push compared to last season’s team…
“I mean there’s coach speak in front of the media and coach speak behind doors. There is management wise as well. So, you know we've had a lot of conversations about where we are and I think we've been pretty honest and forthright. You know from day one of the season that we’d be a work in progress and see what we could accomplish as a group and grow as a group. And we're a real competitive team. We want to continue to do that. You don't want to see people walk out the door that was helping him win, get to the point that he was he wanted us to add and try and find some areas that he felt were areas that we could improve upon. And I know I probably didn't check all those off you know, in a perfect world I would have liked to but again, you're not always going to you know, accomplish every one of your goals that you set out but it doesn't stop your drawing.

On being flexible with trade options…

“Yeah, I don't think that's just with me. You’re in conversations with multiple teams that you know, sometimes you got somebody else being editor or somebody else on the phone, simultaneous with the other team to see if you're going to execute something because the first element is probably dependent on if the other one will. Or you have to go and have a retention somewhere else, which we did last year. So, we're not unique in that in that sense. At all. Everybody in the league is faced with that and some teams are making it known that you're able to, you know, that they're open to retention for a certain amount and now you guys are tracking what that looks like in past years versus what's it's tracking like this year and you just you just try and put it all in and see through it in the lens that works in your advantage hopefully.”

On areas of improvement and the third period losses…

“Well, overtime is a different conversation. You know, you have to acknowledge sometimes the other team does what they're supposed to do in some of these situations. Executed a really good play. Sometimes you’re in a six on four, power play. Other times it's just simply losing a draw and losing your structure there. So, every play is unique. We break down and analyze, you know we're not we're not happy when we do that. And then how do we get better and I think you know, when you're able to extend and push like we were last night in a 2-1, hockey game and get into 3-1, it gives you a comfort there and all those games, we weren't able to do that. Does that mean we're not good enough offensively or, you know, we're protecting a lead. So, the best way to do is to extend the lead, but that's not always ideal. Penalties might play a factor in that. In some of those cases that has gone against us. The Edmonton win against us, we got a call late that I didn't like, but at the end of the day, it gave them a little momentum and all of a sudden they're on our end now we're using the same guys and the same situations you're going to have to win a six on five. So, I think everything is unique, you know, and then you go down to individual execution which players are sometimes in our case, it was a fact that Bergeron was in every one of those situations unless he was in a box now you've got other players going through it for the first time. And there's a learning process and hopefully they'll come through it better on the other side. When we get to the you know, fact is we play five and five in the playoffs in overtime for that situation. Hopefully the guys have grown from that and even the coaches and who they're going to trust and who they're going to utilize in those situations.

On concerns with Pat Maroon’s recent back surgery…
“Again, we're going to get Pat in. The doctors have spoken they know where he is in the recovery process, so we feel comfortable that he's going to be back playing and you know, but again, there's no timeline associated with it. We’ll allow him to do course that he needs and get him comfortable.”

On if the team was close to trading for Pat Maroon in 2019…
“That's a while ago. I don't even know. I mean, the fact is, you know, he's gone on to lift the thing we all chase three times and still has game, still has a real strong voice and presence in the locker room and all the things that he was back then.”

On Jake DeBrusk’s contract talks…

“You know, we'll continue to talk. You know, last year David got done before the deadline. Jake's didn't doesn't mean we won't, doesn't mean we don't value and clearly value Jake because he's a good part of our hockey club. The game last night is a great indication of how much he can impact in a positive way. So we. like him as a player didn't feel comfortable trying to as I said with other players, make a switch or make a change that we thought we'd do better without him.”

On trade talks regarding Linus Ullmark…

“I mean, the end of the day, I'm not ever going to get into a conversation with what I may have talked to Linus about. I acknowledge we've explored different situations.

And we had opportunities to move different players, but I'm not getting into the, you know, the intricacies of what, what's in somebody's contract at this point in time.”

On the rotation of goalies vs letting one goalie start consistently…

“Really good question Fluto. I think it works for both goaltenders in some sense. You know, the other time outside when people always talk about well, he doesn't know what it's like to have the volume of 55 games and in carrying a team. Both can be true. But the result is all that matters. You know, Aiden Hill was a Stanley Cup goalie last year he didn't have that, but he had a damn good team in front of him and he played really well. Bobrovsky [Sergei Bobrovsky] for that matter, didn't start the net in the playoffs last year and took that team to Stanley Cup Finals, as we know, unfortunately, too well. So I think, you know, both goalies benefit from having a strong relationship from pushing each other. Knowing it's hard to get the net but the other guy's really good too. And the team responds to that as well. Because both guys are highly motivated, they might get the opportunity to if Monty [Jim Montgomery] said they we are going on a run give him a run. And I think both guys are competitive and internally driven to not give the net up. You know, it's not a fait accompli that they alternate every night. They know that the schedule sometimes dictates for us but it's a competitive advantage for us.”

On if they would be okay with going through a straight rotation of goaltenders…

“Yeah, ultimately, you know, we go through it as an organization and the final decision, you know, for who plays in every situation comes from the coach, you know, you ultimately make that decision with input from all of us and most importantly from Bob.

Where it stands right now the rotation has worked, but I don't think they're opposed. And if a guy's got the ability to take us on a run let him run.”

On Andrew Peeke…

“We feel really good that he brings a different element in all and Kevin's played really well and that if he's gonna go into that spot, Brandon, you know, whoever it's going to be Charlie's missed games this year. Brandon's missed games this year. I think we feel comfortable and now we can go up and play and elevate. Confidence is probably the right word systems structure is going to be the next thing that we're going to really hammer down in terms of getting him up to full speed in terms of how we play and the structure that we want to play with and we feel comfortable that we'll be able to do that and he'll buy into what needs to be the player. You know, as I referenced, two years ago, he was playing with Roche wrenching most nights in 20 minutes. Change the coach and systems thinking some players respond, some players don't. It's incumbent upon us and our staff to make sure that we've made the right decision and the players fully bought in.”

On if anything about the last few weeks and today, across the league, struck him as different or any trends that he’s noticed…

“I mean, you guys do a tremendous job creating the noises each grade, you know, and this is a big part of our business, a big part of our day, and then how important it is to try and take a shape for making the Stanley Cup run. A lot of stories should be written as a result of the moves that were made today and where we are going. I don't think there's ever an overreaction. There shouldn't be for anybody in terms of what they're chasing. I don't always try to emulate you by evaluating where their team is. At what their team may need, what they can do. And you don't need to realize that some teams like we did last year, like really, really push hard and go all in and you know, but once the games begin, you just never know who ends up winning. You always have favorites. But I like where our team is at how competitive they are. Let's see where we stack up.”

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Never liked Sweeney, but nothing better to be made: no assets, no cap space, no meaningful trades. It was a A grade trade deadline, imo.

Reactions: khanomcat

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Never liked Sweeney, but nothing better to be made: no assets, no cap space, no meaningful trades. It was a A grade trade deadline, imo.
I'd give him a D-.

Only because we might be just a touch better with addition of Peeke. I think he pretty much played it safe. He could of taken a risk and traded linus for someone impactful, but no he decided to hang onto someone who eventually come playoff time could be a 5 million dollar hugger. I don't see the Bruins sharing their goaltending duties come playoffs and even if linus gets in, will he be that much better than Swayman, their both top goalies, but only one of them can help each game, so why not just roll the dice and play one and send the other packing for some much needed help else where.

He didn't add any center help. He needed someone who can win faceoffs at key situations its been a sore all season and he didn't address it.

The left side defense right now looks like lindholm-Lohrie and Grizz maybe Wotherspoon. I like the fact that lohrie may get some experience and Lindholms a rock when healthy, but its pretty shaky after him and he failed to address that as well.

I think he was content in this team playing the leafs and is banking on them being able to win round one against them, but he didn't bring them much help to compete after round one imo. I think Sweeney could of did more to help this team go even deeper and he choose not to because he see's them winning round one, and he was afraid to take a risk in which he could of fallen flat on his face or he could of looked genius like, but he decided to play it safe and pretty much keep it status quo and is banking on them beating the Leafs but winning a series beyond Toronto was an after thought, imo.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I still don’t know why we got Maroon if we are hoping he’s ready in 4 1/2 weeks. Then getting into game shape…….I dunno. I think there could have been better options but we shall see. Down the road we will know based on what happens with Ullmark at the draft (thats where he will be dealt) and if they let Jake leave for nothing as I see him getting more money elsewhere.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I'd give him a D-.

Only because we might be just a touch better with addition of Peeke. I think he pretty much played it safe. He could of taken a risk and traded linus for someone impactful, but no he decided to hang onto someone who eventually come playoff time could be a 5 million dollar hugger. I don't see the Bruins sharing their goaltending duties come playoffs and even if linus gets in, will he be that much better than Swayman, their both top goalies, but only one of them can help each game, so why not just roll the dice and play one and send the other packing for some much needed help else where.

He didn't add any center help. He needed someone who can win faceoffs at key situations its been a sore all season and he didn't address it.

The left side defense right now looks like lindholm-Lohrie and Grizz maybe Wotherspoon. I like the fact that lohrie may get some experience and Lindholms a rock when healthy, but its pretty shaky after him and he failed to address that as well.

I think he was content in this team playing the leafs and is banking on them being able to win round one against them, but he didn't bring them much help to compete after round one imo. I think Sweeney could of did more to help this team go even deeper and he choose not to because he see's them winning round one, and he was afraid to take a risk in which he could of fallen flat on his face or he could of looked genius like, but he decided to play it safe and pretty much keep it status quo and is banking on them beating the Leafs but winning a series beyond Toronto was an after thought, imo.
There was absolutely no way to do what you want. We've traded the assets away for years and last year went all in so this was inevitable. Replacing Forbert and Lucic was all he could do and he did it. I have no complaints. Trading away the future had to stop at some point and that point is now.

Ultimately our playoff chances will come down to health and goaltending. Ullmark has not shown himself to be a playoff money goaltender, we have to hope Swayman will be. Beating the Leafs (if we do) will at least make this year better than last.

Sweeney's true test is how he rebuilds the roster for next season while trying to balance the present with the future.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I still don’t know why we got Maroon if we are hoping he’s ready in 4 1/2 weeks. Then getting into game shape…….I dunno. I think there could have been better options but we shall see. Down the road we will know based on what happens with Ullmark at the draft (thats where he will be dealt) and if they let Jake leave for nothing as I see him getting more money elsewhere.
What's the difference between letting DeBrusk walk (if that's his choice) and trading for a rental who will also walk? In this case we don't give up any futures.
I doubt we have both goalies next year. Likely trade Ullmark. New Jersey and others will be looking. That's a move better made in the off season though.
As for Maroon, he's just here to cancel Reaves, and he does.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
There was absolutely no way to do what you want. We've traded the assets away for years and last year went all in so this was inevitable. Replacing Forbert and Lucic was all he could do and he did it. I have no complaints. Trading away the future had to stop at some point and that point is now.

Ultimately our playoff chances will come down to health and goaltending. Ullmark has not shown himself to be a playoff money goaltender, we have to hope Swayman will be. Beating the Leafs (if we do) will at least make this year better than last.

Sweeney's true test is how he rebuilds the roster for next season while trying to balance the present with the future.
What are you talking about ?? What couldn't of been done ?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
it will be curios to see all the so-called experts grades and thoughts of each team at this deadline. Here's one from Matt larkin

TRADE DEADLINE LOSERS​

Boston Bruins​

I didn’t expect much from the Bruins, given they were among the most asset-poor teams in the league after burning through their first-round picks last year in deadline deals for Tyler Bertuzzi and Dmitry Orlov. But even through that lens, it wasn’t a great day for GM Don Sweeney. When the Andrew Peeke deal broke, I assumed Boston was receiving a third-round pick as a favor for taking Peeke off Columbus’ hands. He’s having a bad year and has been a healthy scratch – on a horrible team – at times this season. He has two seasons left at a $2.75 million AAV, and Daily Faceoff insider Frank Seravalli surmised this week that Peeke was even a buyout candidate. Yet Sweeney felt Peeke was worth a third-rounder and Jakub Zboril? Curious. Worse still: the PR nightmare of the nixed Linus Ullmark trade. The Bruins reportedly had some type of major trade in place that Ullmark blocked due to geography. That will make things awkward between the Bruins and the reigning Vezina Trophy winner going forward.

Losers​

Boston Bruins

Bill Wippert / National Hockey League / Getty
The Bruins not adding a center was a curious decision. It's been Boston's most glaring need since Patrice Bergeron retired, but the club didn't pull the trigger on acquiring a pivot and instead brought in winger Patrick Maroon and defenseman Andrew Peeke to round out an underwhelming deadline.

It's difficult to be too harsh on the Bruins considering last year's spending spree paid little dividends, and this season's group is currently second in the league standings. Still, why not at least try to add to a roster in a campaign that's exceeded expectations? Boston, like most teams, is up against the cap, but a handful of quality centers were available this winter. Monahan, Elias Lindholm, or Adam Henrique would've been nice fits in the middle six, but Don Sweeney missed out and failed to secure any backup plans. The Bruins' defense and star goaltending tandem could be strong enough to carry them deep into the playoffs, but Boston's center core is weak relative to its toughest Eastern Conference competition, even with Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle having productive years.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
He gets a B+ from me. Didn't force anything. Gets the benefit for Peeke because they are great with defensemen. Maroon solid locker room guy who will hopefully be back. Liked extending Wotherspoon as a 7th dman. Liked Abate too, maybe call him up to start some nonsense when need be against a tough team.

Team has proven they can play hockey against good teams, so lets go

Reactions: Gordoff

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i'm very happy.

I didn't want sweeney to do much at all this year especially not trade out any current prospects or important future picks that we still hold. I wasn't interested in any of the big tickets like lindholm, hanafin in season, pursue them as ufa's this summer if interested. forbort to ltir is great and I guess they will figure out grizz or let him walk. I never expected ullmark or debrusk to be traded in season so no big surprise to me there. good work Donny this wasn't the year.

I didn't see peeke coming but he helps an obvious organizational need at rhd..I think the pipeline is regula and mast at this point, I may be leaving someone out. I've seen peeke a few times live and watched him playing the bruins on tv. from my view he likes to hit, was on the puck in the dzone hard and fast and can clear the net, and block shots. his challenge is when he has the puck on his stick. if they figure that out fans will like how like how tough he is to play against in our own zone. he comes with some contractual risk but this is a good time to do that.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
He gets a D.

-No UFAs got flipped so we'll now lose them for nothing.

-No snarl on the backend acquired.

-Gets a busted up, almost 36 year old Pat Maroon who's slow as molasses and can't even play for another month. He also happens to be the player I can't stand the most in the entire league and the only way that's changing is if he dummies somebody his first game back.

-Blew yet another draft pick on a guy making almost $3 million who can't even crack the line up of an awful Columbus team and is also signed for 2 more years at that.

The only thing keeping this from an F is that outside of the 3rd no real assets were spent.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He gets a D.

-No UFAs got flipped so we'll now lose them for nothing.
-
No snarl on the backend acquired.

-Gets a busted up, almost 36 year old Pat Maroon who's slow as molasses and can't even play for another month. He also happens to be the player I can't stand the most in the entire league and the only way that's changing is if he dummies somebody his first game back.

-Blew yet another draft pick on a guy making almost $3 million who can't even crack the line up of an awful Columbus team and is also signed for 2 more years at that.

The only thing keeping this from an F is that outside of the 3rd no real assets were spent.
I'm pissed he didnt address maybe he believes boqvist is the guy so far hes turning heads. Hopefully he continues .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad