Management Don Sweeney on trade deadline

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Reading on other board Ullmark trade was to SJ

Deal was centered around Hertl imo is why you saw him traded to Vegas last minute after Bruins deal fell through. Glad it wasn’t Hertl tbh.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Bruins went all-in last year -- and busted out in the first round.

Going all-in this year, with a worse team and fewer draft picks to work with, would have been insane.

I'd give Sweeney a C

In:
Injured 35+ year old locker room guy, that if he gets healthy will provide some grit come playoffs.
Struggling young defensemen who after a good rookie year is in desperate need of a fresh start.

Out:
3rd Round Pick
6th Round Pick (conditional - must play one playoff game)
Young Defensemen with a bad concussion history in need of a fresh start.
AHL Forward

That's nothing to get upset about. I know I won't lose any sleep over it. I gave him a C instead of a B cause I feel like there prolly was somebody else out there that could of filled Maroon's role and was healthy and ready to play right now.

--

I've always hated the "you can't let them walk for nothing" argument. Unless you're going to miss the playoffs, trading away your best UFAs isn't going to get anywhere near what you want/need it to -- while making your team substantially worse.

Overall I think Sweeney has done pretty good this year with the cards he's been dealt (thanks to going all-in last year). He'll have ~27 million to work with next year, so the Bruins are in good shape as long as he doesn't screw that up.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Honestly if these two guys help us get out of the first round, I’m happy with it.

Even if they don’t it’s meh, I don’t feel they gave up anything of any real importance.

Reactions: bruins19

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I'm not saying it was Hertl, but, if it were then I wonder if we also keep him on IR and double down with the new cap space.

Long term I think this may be for the best but I'm intrigued by what could have been.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was hoping he didn’t do much of anything so this was an ideal deadline for me. Would have preferred not lose the 3rd rounder but by Donny standards this is good. Hopefully with Maroon he can come back healthy and contribute. He may end up being a giveaway of pieces

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Not sure what people were hoping for. Any of the big moves made would have seen something close to our 1st + Lohrei, Poitras, or Lysell going out for UFA returns. Hanafin may be signing only in Tampa. Guentzel and Lindholm are a bit older than what our next iteration will be with Pastrnak, McAvoy, Swayman. Not to mention they’re both likely looking for their last big contracts to take them into their late 30s. Those are typically the contracts that bite you.

I’ve been all for Sweeney being fired awhile ago. I disagree with his vision of the team.

That said, he did the right thing last year and went all in. This year we were hoping for maybe a playoff birth and a retool. Regardless of where they are in the standings, this is not the roster you go all in on. Let the west have it’s arms race and weaponize your cap space 7/1 to be aggressive at filling some holes. I would have loved Debrusk, Grz, Forbort, and Ullmark moved out for assets but where they are in the standings and their cap space made that nearly impossible.

It is what it is. I’m back to how I’ve always felt about this season. Happy to be in the playoffs hunt but this is a transition year. Only expectations is the team shows you what it is and needs are addressed for 24-25 season through kids, draft, UFA market.

My new concern is if Sweeney can build a contender without inheriting Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Pastrnak, Rask, Chara, Hamilton from previous regimes. His whiffs in 2015 give me concerns though McAvoy, Lohrei, Swayman give me hope.

Time will tell.
Also another core piece in zacha . That haula for zacha trade will go down as one of his best with Coyle for donato in 2nd . Getting ullmark in free agenda was also highway robbery. Sweeney one of the best .

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Would they have cap space to bring Beecher back Boqvist has been ok but not sure how he will hold up in the playoffs

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
What was the PLD rumor
I'm not a Sweeney fan but he really had nothing to work with this year. Other than Ullmark which it appeared he tried to get a deal done. If it was the PLD rumor - Ouch.

Don't like getting rid of the 3rd pick of 2027. Those add up. But that's minor.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
it will be curios to see all the so-called experts grades and thoughts of each team at this deadline. Here's one from Matt larkin

TRADE DEADLINE LOSERS​

Boston Bruins​

I didn’t expect much from the Bruins, given they were among the most asset-poor teams in the league after burning through their first-round picks last year in deadline deals for Tyler Bertuzzi and Dmitry Orlov. But even through that lens, it wasn’t a great day for GM Don Sweeney. When the Andrew Peeke deal broke, I assumed Boston was receiving a third-round pick as a favor for taking Peeke off Columbus’ hands. He’s having a bad year and has been a healthy scratch – on a horrible team – at times this season. He has two seasons left at a $2.75 million AAV, and Daily Faceoff insider Frank Seravalli surmised this week that Peeke was even a buyout candidate. Yet Sweeney felt Peeke was worth a third-rounder and Jakub Zboril? Curious. Worse still: the PR nightmare of the nixed Linus Ullmark trade. The Bruins reportedly had some type of major trade in place that Ullmark blocked due to geography. That will make things awkward between the Bruins and the reigning Vezina Trophy winner going forward.

Losers​

Boston Bruins

Bill Wippert / National Hockey League / Getty
The Bruins not adding a center was a curious decision. It's been Boston's most glaring need since Patrice Bergeron retired, but the club didn't pull the trigger on acquiring a pivot and instead brought in winger Patrick Maroon and defenseman Andrew Peeke to round out an underwhelming deadline.

It's difficult to be too harsh on the Bruins considering last year's spending spree paid little dividends, and this season's group is currently second in the league standings. Still, why not at least try to add to a roster in a campaign that's exceeded expectations? Boston, like most teams, is up against the cap, but a handful of quality centers were available this winter. Monahan, Elias Lindholm, or Adam Henrique would've been nice fits in the middle six, but Don Sweeney missed out and failed to secure any backup plans. The Bruins' defense and star goaltending tandem could be strong enough to carry them deep into the playoffs, but Boston's center core is weak relative to its toughest Eastern Conference competition, even with Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle having productive years.
These are two super ridiculous takes lmao

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Would they have cap space to bring Beecher back Boqvist has been ok but not sure how he will hold up in the playoffs
Nope, Beechers flaws don't make up for his faceoff %. When Beecher mails it in on a shift we get scored on. That's a big reason he is in Providence outside of the cap hit. Boqvist may not be as good at the faceoff dot, but he has less rookie warts and his speed is causing problems.

This is the opposite of what I wanted earlier, I admit it. I wanted a heavy line with Beecher, Lauko, and Lucic. But this Boqvist line works in a different way without being a determent.

I think he has his eyes on Hertl and Hanifin. They can't keep everyone there.
Watch them.

VEGAS DOES WHAT IT WANTS

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
I don't want to come off as an a$$ but all of these so-called experts grading the trade deadline really aren't much more knowledgable than the contributors to this board. Honestly, the members here know more than most of the experts. In many cases I would say these "writers" are no more than wannabe "insiders". Last year these same experts praised the moves by the Bruins at the deadline only for all of us to witness the train derail in the first round. I loved those moves as well. Those moves (draining draft picks) and other factors (Bergy and Krech bonuses) limited the ability to make meaningful moves this year at the deadline. That said, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the game is played on the ice and not on the stat sheets or on some blog from a nobody. I like the position this team is sitting in right now. They know they can't just show up and win like it felt last season. Let's face it, we all want them to win a cup but it's a war of attrition come playoff time and perhaps the experience of last postseason has hardened the core of the team for a deeper playoff run.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We had to actually pay to get rid of Zboril, a mismanaged asset. Unexplainable, horrible trade.
Maroon, at this stage of his career, whatever. Those assets were unimportant long-term. I wonder if Jack Edwards will be interviewing him. :naughty:

They didn’t pay to get rid of Zboril they did him a solid. He was going to walk at the end of the year and cost nothing against the cap. Weird post.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
We had to actually pay to get rid of Zboril, a mismanaged asset. Unexplainable, horrible trade.
Maroon, at this stage of his career, whatever. Those assets were unimportant long-term. I wonder if Jack Edwards will be interviewing him. :naughty:
On Jack: he will do the right thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad