WEEI Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

The Bruins traded their first-round pick as part of the package for Nash last February, and any time a trade doesn’t result in a Stanley Cup championship, watching another team make that pick inspires regret on the part of the trading team.

After going through the 2018 NHL Draft without a first-round pick, Bruins general manager Don Sweeney didn’t regret making the Nash trade because he believed in Nash and last year’s roster to be able to make a long postseason run. But sitting out the first night of the draft was agonizing and Sweeney expressed he’d be reluctant to trade his first-round pick again. However, he’s not ruling out doing whatever it takes to improve his lineup before the Feb. 25 trade deadline.

“Until that deal [for Nash] really materialized we held [the first-rounder] out all the way [until the end],” Sweeney told WEEI.com this week. “We just felt that at the time and some of the pieces that we shifted around as a result, where we might’ve finished in the league, bottom of the first, top of the second based on where you are, we took a swing.

“I’m always going to want to be in a position to take a swing. We’re evaluating our team, where we are when we’re healthy, and that hasn’t been the case. Knock on whatever, Charlie coming back, maybe seeing what our team is, maybe that changes. I don’t have a hard and fast rule, but by design I’d be hesitant to be doing it.”

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
There must be a way to make a trade for a top 6 without giving the first round pick.

Reactions: Strafer

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Standing pat is boring and makes it feel like they're punting the season. Getting a guy for a first rounder plus prospect package could be the difference in leaping over Toronto and winning/losing in the first round. But will anybody we could reasonably get be the difference in getting us past Tampa in the division finals? And beyond that, Washington in the ECF? I believe in this team and all, but the answer is clearly no from where I'm standing, so giving away first rounders year after year is going to be bad in 3 or 4 years when you've got Pasta, Carlo, and McAvoy in their primes and missing that first rounder coming up in the pipeline.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Standing pat is boring and makes it feel like they're punting the season. Getting a guy for a first rounder plus prospect package could be the difference in leaping over Toronto and winning/losing in the first round. But will anybody we could reasonably get be the difference in getting us past Tampa in the division finals? And beyond that, Washington in the ECF? I believe in this team and all, but the answer is clearly no from where I'm standing, so giving away first rounders year after year is going to be bad in 3 or 4 years when you've got Pasta, Carlo, and McAvoy in their primes and missing that first rounder coming up in the pipeline.
That's why we should just get some old vets and roll the dice . No first round picks or top prospects Donny. Just get Justin Williams and Alex steen and let's go...

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
isn't Alex Steen injured?
I think he's only out a couple weeks. Anyways 1st round picks are gold and should not be traded . I think these 2 are enough for a run. With patrice brad and chara and these 2 we have enough playoff experience to have a chance. Plus these 2 can pop an important goal in a series and tilt it for us.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I think he's only out a couple weeks. Anyways 1st round picks are gold and should not be traded . I think these 2 are enough for a run. With patrice brad and chara and these 2 we have enough playoff experience to have a chance. Plus these 2 can pop an important goal in a series and tilt it for us.
Alex Steen by all accounts is the #1 problem in the Blues locker room, has sucked, and still has term at big money. I'm trying to think of a worse pickup but cant

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

The Bruins traded their first-round pick as part of the package for Nash last February, and any time a trade doesn’t result in a Stanley Cup championship, watching another team make that pick inspires regret on the part of the trading team.

After going through the 2018 NHL Draft without a first-round pick, Bruins general manager Don Sweeney didn’t regret making the Nash trade because he believed in Nash and last year’s roster to be able to make a long postseason run. But sitting out the first night of the draft was agonizing and Sweeney expressed he’d be reluctant to trade his first-round pick again. However, he’s not ruling out doing whatever it takes to improve his lineup before the Feb. 25 trade deadline.

“Until that deal [for Nash] really materialized we held [the first-rounder] out all the way [until the end],” Sweeney told WEEI.com this week. “We just felt that at the time and some of the pieces that we shifted around as a result, where we might’ve finished in the league, bottom of the first, top of the second based on where you are, we took a swing.

“I’m always going to want to be in a position to take a swing. We’re evaluating our team, where we are when we’re healthy, and that hasn’t been the case. Knock on whatever, Charlie coming back, maybe seeing what our team is, maybe that changes. I don’t have a hard and fast rule, but by design I’d be hesitant to be doing it.”

donny, its quite simple. you leave backes on line 2 heading into the playoffs, its gonna be a very fast exit.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Should we mortgage the future when you have Tampa caps knights preds jets flames sharks who are on another level compared to us? We are barely gonna knock out the leafs this year . Yes we will so that's our cup. Just get some old horses and that's our goal . Anything more is pure gravy and that's the honest truth my fellow fans .

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Instead of prioritizing a trade we should prioritize getting a new GM.
So true. My trust in DS’s drafting is quite low. Even if we kept our first rounder, I’d be afraid of him squandering it. I’m equally afraid of him making a trade for a quality 2nd line winger, if he even believes that we need one. He’s had a bit of luck in later round drafting and building 3rd and 4th lines, but been abysmal in drafting and trading to fill top needs. Backes and Belesky and the mishandling of the 2015 draft has rally hogtied this team.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He is high if he still doesn't think we need a 2RW even when healthy
There should be a very distinct different between wanting and needing at all costs.

The Bruin's are NOT a 2nd line RW away from being a top team. Let's not just throw assets out there for mediocrity or a flash in the pan. Save them to make a big splash, long term.

That 2RW really depends on who, the term, and the age.

UFA? Without an extension, no way. Over 30? Depends on who. Someone approaching their peak that we want to build around in the top 6? I'm all for it.

Reactions: Boston Bruno

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Instead of prioritizing a trade we should prioritize getting a new GM.

It's not that simple.

Cameron is the new Harry and as far as I know reports to Papa Jacobs as well as Charlie.

This is the power structure of the Bruins as they list it with the NHL

NHL Records
upload_2019-1-12_6-8-56.png

Harry is still listed as the most powerful nonfamily member.

Charlie has pleased the father on how the Hub on Causeway has come together as the area is now going to be a year round destination in the city.

Here is the unknown - Does Harry still have a significant influence on the direction of the team? He DID NOT under Chia but today I have no clue.

The last time I saw Harry was at Clark Booth's memorial service in October in West Roxbury.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There should be a very distinct different between wanting and needing at all costs.

The Bruin's are NOT a 2nd line RW away from being a top team. Let's not just throw assets out there for mediocrity or a flash in the pan. Save them to make a big splash, long term.

That 2RW really depends on who, the term, and the age.

UFA? Without an extension, no way. Over 30? Depends on who. Someone approaching their peak that we want to build around in the top 6? I'm all for it.

I actually think the Bruins are a 2nd line winger away from being a Cup contender again. Everything else settles into place with that. Acquiring a cheap 3rd line center at the deadline could help as well but not necessarily.

It just cannot be a rental. Get a long term solution for Krejci's wing if we are burning assets.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I actually think the Bruins are a 2nd line winger away from being a Cup contender again. Everything else settles into place with that. Acquiring a cheap 3rd line center at the deadline could help as well but not necessarily.

It just cannot be a rental. Get a long term solution for Krejci's wing if we are burning assets.

I think they do need both the wing and the C. One of them can be of the Nyquist or Pageau quality (e.g. a patch) but they really need the other to be a Schenn or Saad quality guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad