Management Don Sweeney media call - 5/24/21

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Kampfer has been a warrior for us and owes us nothing. I'm sure that Sweeney is not happy (and I get that too, he's thinking about his own responsibilities, not Kampfers) but Kampfer needs to look at what is right for him. He played less than 50% of the season for Boston in a season where we used 13 defensemen.

I ask myself what I would recommend to my son if he were in that situation.

Assuming there is more money in KHL deal (enough to offset what I'm sure are unique circumstances), that there are no other teams in NHL that want to give him playing time and money, that he needs surgery before next season, and he's covered by NHLPA insurance??

Son.... get the surgery this afternoon and be ready to go for the next season in Russian Bear country. The Bruins will be fine, you've been a good soldier.

I give him that advice every day of the week and 4 times on Sunday just to make sure he knows what my opinion is!!!!
The b's were in the playoffs. Have a legit chance at the cup, and have used you before in the playoffs. History shows dmen go down alot. If surgery could wait, and I have a chance at a cup, I'd take that every time, but that's me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sevendust

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd rather we play NYI than penguins . I consider PItt and Caps protected teams by DOPS Super star status , As seen by wilson's non suspension on Carlo and Orlov's hit on MIller. Pit will get the same pass because they have crybaby Crosby.

Ovi and Crosby draw TV ratings . Lots of non NHL regular fans will watch playoffs simply to see those players who are hyped by the media

Wilson was suspended for 7 games.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The b's were in the playoffs. Have a legit chance at the cup, and have used you before in the playoffs. History shows dmen go down alot. If surgery could wait, and I have a chance at a cup, I'd take that every time, but that's me.
I get it. But Kampfer has played 9 NHL seasons and never played more than 47 games in a season (5 years ago in FLA). For past five seasons he’s averaged 20 games played.

He’s 32 and probably has a chance to make one more pay day in the KHL (if rumors are true). He’s got to plan for the rest of his life and if having surgery now gives him a chance for one more pay day, he’s probably going to take it. Add to the bubble last year and the weirdness this year, one more year (at say a $1M — I have no idea?) has got to look enticing. Like I say, he’s got to plan for the rest of his life and a big pay day like that for a historically spare part is probably too good to miss. Much more valuable in the long run than being able to say “I won a Cup as a (when he made decision this was likely) Black Ace” 10 years from now.

Regardless, it’s his decision and I’m sure he made it with his family in mind, not the Bruins. He’s been a good soldier.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, when Fenway says can't does he mean there is some actual contractual reason they can't resign him before the expansion draft.

Because if the only reason they can't is because it would force them to expose Ritchie instead, then I'd happily sign Hall and Expose Ritchie. Seattle won't take him anyway, and well if they did take Ritchie instead of Lauzon the Bruins should be popping champagne at the Garden

I keep thinking I'm missing something as there's a lot of people who understand it much better than me ... but I see 6 - 10 players all in the same wheelhouse and you're going to lose one. Bruins are an incredibly deep team without bad contracts. They'll lose a good player. Like if they don't re-sign Hall and Krejci beforehand that mean they could potentially protect DeBrusk, Smith and Ritchie... but will still leave Lauzon or Grz exposed. (Vladar?) I don't even know who I'd pick if all five were available.
I think not re-signing them beforehand just opens up the door to losing a top-light player.

Reactions: Gordoff

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I keep thinking I'm missing something as there's a lot of people who understand it much better than me ... but I see 6 - 10 players all in the same wheelhouse and you're going to lose one. Bruins are an incredibly deep team without bad contracts. They'll lose a good player. Like if they don't re-sign Hall and Krejci beforehand that mean they could potentially protect DeBrusk, Smith and Ritchie... but will still leave Lauzon or Grz exposed. (Vladar?) I don't even know who I'd pick if all five were available.
I think not re-signing them beforehand just opens up the door to losing a top-light player.
Not signing the UFAs before hand allows more players under contract to be protected. From my understand Seattle gets to talk with UFAs before free agency begins, so if Bruins can come to a handshake agreement with the UFAs they wanna bring back then they can avoid having to protect them. Allowing Bruins to get them re-signed after the Expansion Draft and before free agency begins.

We’re almost guaranteed to lose a pretty good player. Depends on their need when they land on us, or if Donny wants to make a deal to redirect them to someone less desirable.

Reactions: hrdpuk

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Not signing the UFAs before hand allows more players under contract to be protected. From my understand Seattle gets to talk with UFAs before free agency begins, so if Bruins can come to a handshake agreement with the UFAs they wanna bring back then they can avoid having to protect them. Allowing Bruins to get them re-signed after the Expansion Draft and before free agency begins.

We’re almost guaranteed to lose a pretty good player. Depends on their need when they land on us, or if Donny wants to make a deal to redirect them to someone less desirable.

I do get that. My view is that you shouldn't leave guys like Krejci, Hall and Rask as UFAs for them to talk to. Handshake deals are great and all but - Pen To Paper. We just saw it happen with Hall last off-season wanting to sign and took too long. We saw it with Iginla.
In all honesty - They have to protect Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle up front - McAvoy and Carlo on the back-end... and.... ?
I just don't see the risk/reward scenario of losing a guy like Hall or Krejci to worry about the difference between Smith, Ritchie and DeBrusk. And even if they don't sign them you're still exposing three of Grz, Lauzon, Zboril and Clifton.

They're going to lose a young B+ player. Just depends which one. I'd rather that than roll the dice that those three guys get impatient or get great offers.

Hypothetically: if The Krakken pick cost-controlled young players they could conceivably offer Krejci, Hall and Rask 3x9 apiece (or something) to create a first line, starting goalie and veteran core. I just think the risk outweighs the benefit.

Reactions: Agent86

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I do get that. My view is that you shouldn't leave guys like Krejci, Hall and Rask as UFAs for them to talk to. Handshake deals are great and all but - Pen To Paper. We just saw it happen with Hall last off-season wanting to sign and took too long. We saw it with Iginla.
In all honesty - They have to protect Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle up front - McAvoy and Carlo on the back-end... and.... ?
I just don't see the risk/reward scenario of losing a guy like Hall or Krejci to worry about the difference between Smith, Ritchie and DeBrusk. And even if they don't sign them you're still exposing three of Grz, Lauzon, Zboril and Clifton.

They're going to lose a young B+ player. Just depends which one. I'd rather that than roll the dice that those three guys get impatient or get great offers.

Hypothetically: if The Krakken pick cost-controlled young players they could conceivably offer Krejci, Hall and Rask 3x9 apiece (or something) to create a first line, starting goalie and veteran core. I just think the risk outweighs the benefit.
I am a long term Boston Bruin supporter and I fully endorse this message!

Sign Krejci and Hall and protect them. Rask is Boston or retire so good to wait. Don't take a chance, if it comes down to losing Hall or Krejci (who fills a bigger organizational need) versus DeBrusk, I'd let Jake buy his fish at Pike's Place Market next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad