Management Don Sweeney media call - 5/24/21

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Poor Kase I was really hoping for him to say healthy.

Lauzon has a hand injury that is just time to heal so hopefully he can be back soon.

Miller is a different story but he has a hard noggin so I would hope he will be back soon but you never know with the head injuries.

If Miller is unable to start the next round getting Lauzon back is huge. The Bruins have basically 7 starters when you consider how Clifton has played. You than have Zoboril and Tinordi as strong replacements after that things get dicey

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I am still pissed off about that Orlov hit and the total silence from Player Safety about it. What a joke. The kid may not be a generally dirty player, but in that case he left his feet and launched right into Miller's face. There was nothing incidental about it.
I’m 100% with you. 1) Interference and 2) he leaves his skates blatantly. End result is a guy ends up with a concussion from getting his head bounced off the ice.

Makes zero sense to me that DOPS didn’t say a single word about it. Doesn’t make any difference because Killer is still hurt and out and Orlov is done. But IMO it’s still ridiculous.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Well I'm making it CLEAR to Don that I'm annoyed that we haven't signed Hall to a long term contract yet!! Do not let him leave Boston or you will be sleeping with the fishes!
You’re joking, right? We cannot sign Hall before the Exp Draft. Well we could but it doesn’t make any sense at all.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Curious what that's all about. I mean it sounded like Kampfer/Bruins had a relatively good relationship.
cash-money-animated-gif-17.gif

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am still pissed off about that Orlov hit and the total silence from Player Safety about it. What a joke. The kid may not be a generally dirty player, but in that case he left his feet and launched right into Miller's face. There was nothing incidental about it.

I don't know about that.

Looked to me like to went straight up in the air, only thing he launched were his hands and he made no contact with Miller's head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Used word Hope about Lauzon.Love to know exact issue he is having with that hand because this is going on a while now.

He got drilled with a slap-shot. I mean there's like 27 little bones in your hand, and their not meant to take a rubber disc flying at speeds of upward 100 miles an hour.

I just hope he doesn't turn into Bobby Ryan the second. lol

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know about that.

Looked to me like to went straight up in the air, only thing he launched wereh is hands and he made no contact with Miller's head.

His skates went into the air- what the hell else was he doing? I get that you like to play the contrarian, but it was a cheap shit move on a guy who had gotten rid of the puck and on whom he could not have put much of a hit any other way.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
His skates went into the air- what the hell else was he doing? I get that you like to play the contrarian, but it was a cheap shit move on a guy who had gotten rid of the puck and on whom he could not have put much of a hit any other way.

Tough to tell but wondering if he got an "uppercut" to the jaw that dazed him before his head hit the ice.
upload_2021-5-24_20-6-23.png

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't know about that.

Looked to me like to went straight up in the air, only thing he launched wereh is hands and he made no contact with Miller's head.
I agree. This isn’t a mere contrarian take either.

Orlov left his feet because the angle on the hit changed, not because he was targeting the head. And it was square on the shoulder.

Yes it was a little late, but I agree with DoPS on this one. You want to eliminate hits to the head, you need to draw the line at hits to the head... otherwise what you’re actually outlawing is hitting itself.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Orlov left his feet because the angle on the hit changed, not because he was targeting the head. And it was square on the shoulder.

Yes it was a little late, but I agree with DoPS on this one. You want to eliminate hits to the head, you need to draw the line at hits to the head... otherwise what you’re actually outlawing is hitting itself.
I agree as well, I think they got that one right. Was a little late, high and had a horrible result but looked like he got mostly if not all shoulder.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Between periods Jaffe, Raycroft and Arnold all agreed with the call. Dale Arnold said he wasn't sure if it was even a penalty. Raycroft stated he had called several NHL people he knew would be watching and they agreed the refs got the call correct.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
They CAN'T sign him until after the Seattle expansion draft.

Fenway, I know they won't sign Hall, Krejci or Rask during the playoffs but I don't really get what difference it'll make and it opens them up to Seattle or another team offering big money or just signing elsewhere. Bruins are going to lose a good young player regardless. Lauzon, DeBrusk, Grz, Smith, etc. they won't be able to protect all of them no matter what. Does it really matter how many they leave exposed at this point? They'll lose one and that'll be it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Between periods Jaffe, Raycroft and Arnold all agreed with the call. Dale Arnold said he wasn't sure if it was even a penalty. Raycroft stated he had called several NHL people he knew would be watching and they agreed the refs got the call correct.

So what’s your point? The refs called it a major when it happened. It got reviewed and downgraded. It was penalty- dirty and cheap. He left his feet leaning forward with his hands up high. Why do you want to defend it?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He wasn’t obligated to follow through with the hit nor was he obligated to get his hands up like that. It was a penalty and called one so it wasn’t seen as clean. Miller got concussed as a direct result of a penalty- an illegal hit. That isn’t penalizing hitting, it’s penalizing a stupid dangerous play that injured a guy. DoPS should have done something.

Reactions: Sevendust

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It gets less weird if you think about the timing- rumors that he signs with a KHL team and then all of a sudden he has apparently elective hand surgery and is unavailable. Or maybe it gets more weird when considering that?

He's still under contract with the Bruins, right? I assume that means he's also still a member of the NHLPA until his contract expires or he signs with the KHL, which I assume also means he gets this surgery covered by NHLPA insurance? Maybe KHL doesn't cover it?

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad