Management Don Sweeney media call - 5/24/21

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He's still under contract with the Bruins, right? I assume that means he's also still a member of the NHLPA until his contract expires or he signs with the KHL, which I assume also means he gets this surgery covered by NHLPA insurance? Maybe KHL doesn't cover it?

Can't blame him for that. Do what you can while you have coverage.

When I was in my mid-20s my girlfriend of years and I split up. She had amazing coverage through her job so never told anyone at work we had broken up and that I wasn't her beneficiary common-law - until I finished getting all my dental work done. She was getting exhausted with me as she was dating another guy but couldn't allow her co-workers to know I was out of the picture as it would've ended my coverage and she wanted me to take advantage of what turned into 100% coverage for pretty major work.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He wasn’t obligated to follow through with the hit nor was he obligated to get his hands up like that. It was a penalty and called one so it wasn’t seen as clean. Miller got concussed as a direct result of a penalty- an illegal hit. That isn’t penalizing hitting, it’s penalizing a stupid dangerous play that injured a guy. DoPS should have done something.
So if a guy “gets his hands up” , that’s the bar that should be set for discipline? Or perhaps they should only take action based on the result and not the intent? Any infraction that ends in injury?

I understand the frustration with Miller being hurt. And getting hurt by a team that seems to “get off” (I mean both “away with it” and sexually) when they cause injury.

But there has to be an action you’re clearly looking to legislate out and that has to be stated clearly before you hand out the supplementary discipline. You throw a suspension at that play and I think all bets are off on any injury. And enough of those and players will have it in their heads every time they go to throw a hit.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So if a guy “gets his hands up” , that’s the bar that should be set for discipline? Or perhaps they should only take action based on the result and not the intent? Any infraction that ends in injury?

I understand the frustration with Miller being hurt. And getting hurt by a team that seems to “get off” (I mean both “away with it” and sexually) when they cause injury.

But there has to be an action you’re clearly looking to legislate out and that has to be stated clearly before you hand out the supplementary discipline. You throw a suspension at that play and I think all bets are off on any injury. And enough of those and players will have it in their heads every time they go to throw a hit.

Fair point and I understand what you are saying. I also agree that Orlov has not been a dirty guy to this point in his career, but I still watch it and see an intentional bad hit that hurt a guy. Maybe it was just an ill-advised attempt to finish a hit- I can’t speak to intention, but a late hit up high where a player leaves his feet to deliver it, whatever the reason, is something I think should be penalized by the league. If for no other reason than to reinforce the message (which they have done a hit or miss job of so far) that players have to be responsible for their decisions.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Can't blame him for that. Do what you can while you have coverage.

When I was in my mid-20s my girlfriend of years and I split up. She had amazing coverage through her job so never told anyone at work we had broken up and that I wasn't her beneficiary common-law - until I finished getting all my dental work done. She was getting exhausted with me as she was dating another guy but couldn't allow her co-workers to know I was out of the picture as it would've ended my coverage and she wanted me to take advantage of what turned into 100% coverage for pretty major work.
Dude, that lady was a keeper. For her to do that for you was solid.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Agreed. It should be about the incident in a vacuum. I never liked how the DOPS considers injury result in their determination.

I also don't care too much during the regular season how long a guy gets suspended when he does something against my team. Kind of irrelevant if his next games aren't against my team. A thought I had that will never happen: if a guy gets suspended for hitting a player on your team during the regular season, the suspension is first applied against remaining games against your team, if any.

Reactions: KWbruin

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Fenway, I know they won't sign Hall, Krejci or Rask during the playoffs but I don't really get what difference it'll make and it opens them up to Seattle or another team offering big money or just signing elsewhere. Bruins are going to lose a good young player regardless. Lauzon, DeBrusk, Grz, Smith, etc. they won't be able to protect all of them no matter what. Does it really matter how many they leave exposed at this point? They'll lose one and that'll be it.
If the Bruins want to sign Hall, Krejci or Rask they will try to keep the deals as short as possible (certainly for Krejci and Rask). Of course they'll also try to keep the money down. All of that screams having to tradeoff with some sort of no trade clause -- so presto, your protected list becomes that much bigger and you have to expose young players you don't want to lose. Regardless, even if you can somehow sign those three without mandatory protection clauses, you'll want to protect them. Which means, again, more young players added to the list you have to expose.

So to your list of potential exposed players: Lauzon, DeBrusk, Gryz, Smith -- add another good player for every UFA you sign before the Expansion Draft.

Only way to do it that makes sense is have a handshake deal in place and the contracts drawn up. Then once the ED and UFA deadlines pass, you sign and everyone is happy.

You're going to see a lot of teams do that. For example, if Carolina and Dougie Hamilton are of a mind to extend that is exactly how that one will play out.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He's still under contract with the Bruins, right? I assume that means he's also still a member of the NHLPA until his contract expires or he signs with the KHL, which I assume also means he gets this surgery covered by NHLPA insurance? Maybe KHL doesn't cover it?
Kampfer has been a warrior for us and owes us nothing. I'm sure that Sweeney is not happy (and I get that too, he's thinking about his own responsibilities, not Kampfers) but Kampfer needs to look at what is right for him. He played less than 50% of the season for Boston in a season where we used 13 defensemen.

I ask myself what I would recommend to my son if he were in that situation.

Assuming there is more money in KHL deal (enough to offset what I'm sure are unique circumstances), that there are no other teams in NHL that want to give him playing time and money, that he needs surgery before next season, and he's covered by NHLPA insurance??

Son.... get the surgery this afternoon and be ready to go for the next season in Russian Bear country. The Bruins will be fine, you've been a good soldier.

I give him that advice every day of the week and 4 times on Sunday just to make sure he knows what my opinion is!!!!

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah I'll be honest - I don't see why that was a penalty at all. If Miller had popped up would we even be talking about it?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For me the issue with the Orlov hit is that Orlov left his feet to make it, that was a deliberate decision on his part. Leaving your feet increases the force of a hit and the probability of injury to your opponent. So as far as I am concerned yes, there was intent to injure when Orlov hit Miller the way he did. I don't care if Orlov has been an angel his entire career- on that play he chose to cross the line.

This isn't rocket science. Intent to injure should always end up with the player committing it being ejected from the game and facing further (& truly serious) discipline by the league. Hockey is dangerous enough without players looking to deliberately injure their opponents.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So what’s your point? The refs called it a major when it happened. It got reviewed and downgraded. It was penalty- dirty and cheap. He left his feet leaning forward with his hands up high. Why do you want to defend it?

I'm not defending anything.

Just pointing out it was the right call.

Not every hit is dirty and cheap.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So would you rather an Islanders win next game, or a Pens?

I'd take the Islanders. I wouldn't want the Pens coming off maybe a comeback from down 3-2. Home ice also sounds nice.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For me the issue with the Orlov hit is that Orlov left his feet to make it, that was a deliberate decision on his part. Leaving your feet increases the force of a hit and the probability of injury to your opponent. So as far as I am concerned yes, there was intent to injure when Orlov hit Miller the way he did. I don't care if Orlov has been an angel his entire career- on that play he chose to cross the line.

This isn't rocket science. Intent to injure should always end up with the player committing it being ejected from the game and facing further (& truly serious) discipline by the league. Hockey is dangerous enough without players looking to deliberately injure their opponents.
exactly, he could have not left his feet at all and it likely would have been a simple shoulder to body hit which Miller likely would have absorbed easily but he didn`t, he knew what he was doing

CAW1313

Mar 27, 2021
Macomb, MI

Agree 100%

Reactions: BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Well Said, and on top of that Ritchie had the puck on his stick when Orlov made contact with Miller. Was it too the head ? No, but it was late and he did leave his feet landing a hit to an unsuspecting opponent, too me that's suspendable.

Professional athlete's have superior peripheral vision and the ability to stop on a dime and make decisions in micro seconds. Orlov choose not to use any one of them, all he was focused on was delivering a open ice hit to Miller, no matter if Miller still had the puck his sights were set on Miller, which ultimately becomes reckless and dangerous when players are allowed to play that way, without any repercussions from the league. He could of held up and he choose not to, causing injury to his opponent.

Last edited:

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I'd rather we play NYI than penguins . I consider PItt and Caps protected teams by DOPS Super star status , As seen by wilson's non suspension on Carlo and Orlov's hit on MIller. Pit will get the same pass because they have crybaby Crosby.

Ovi and Crosby draw TV ratings . Lots of non NHL regular fans will watch playoffs simply to see those players who are hyped by the media

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fenway, I know they won't sign Hall, Krejci or Rask during the playoffs but I don't really get what difference it'll make and it opens them up to Seattle or another team offering big money or just signing elsewhere. Bruins are going to lose a good young player regardless. Lauzon, DeBrusk, Grz, Smith, etc. they won't be able to protect all of them no matter what. Does it really matter how many they leave exposed at this point? They'll lose one and that'll be it.

Yeah, when Fenway says can't does he mean there is some actual contractual reason they can't resign him before the expansion draft.

Because if the only reason they can't is because it would force them to expose Ritchie instead, then I'd happily sign Hall and Expose Ritchie. Seattle won't take him anyway, and well if they did take Ritchie instead of Lauzon the Bruins should be popping champagne at the Garden

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That one was. You don't call penalties on clean, legal hits. But let's leave it there.
That's debatable. A lot of clean hits now are deemed "to hard" or at the discretion of inept officials. Orlov's hit was a penalty because he left his feet, where he hit him if his feet had been on the ice was not an issue.

Just my opinion. It's sad we have reached the point that any hard hit is debated about. Hitting needs to remain in the game, targeting heads no, hitting yes and sometimes if you are lining somebody up for a legal hit the guy you are hitting ducks and you hiy his head, that should not be a penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad