Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think Sweeney has done a lot of good things and he put them in a position to contend quickly after a re-tool, but his half measures with regard to the second line have cost this team at least one Cup. Is he going to use Krug's money this year to come up with a proven solution, or are we going to see more of the same?

His contract negotiations, McAvoy draft, Halak, Coyle and MoJo acquisitions are by far the feathers in his cap.

However plenty of "no soup for Sweeney" for the
2015 1st round fiasco (that helped lose them a Cup) and UV pick. Then add in the Backes signing,
Jimmy Hayes trade and not re-upping MoJo and thats some serious demerits.

I give Sweeney a B-

If he lets Krug walk, sign Dillon and one of Toffoli/Hall
or Toffoli and Craig Smith, then package Kase/DeBrusk
Gryz/pick for two 2020 1st rounders from Ottawa and NJ
I'll bump him to A-.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Krug....Actually should have been traded because we all knew this was going to happen and now we lose the asset...Poor GMing. He is 29 and small and looks smaller every playoffs...Let him walk so fast....Use his money for a scorer.

Carlo, I dont see what others see. I see a big wet napkin. Not great offensively. Now, i am not giving him away, But i do think i would offer and listen, because i think their is a pigeon out there that may sell the farm for what he thinks could be a young franchise type 1-2 Dman.....Carlo is not a 1- or 2....he is a 4........If i could get a 1 and a player, i pounce. Or a 30 plus goal guy 24 under thats tough. I do it.

DeBrusk, I am not married to this kid either especially at the 5 million i hear he wants.....This guy has Coyotes written all over him. I like the kid, But i see what he brings. If i can get a top 4 dman and a number 2 pick....I deal him. Maybe Calgary for Bennetplus ???.............Or something around him.

Rask...Cut bait. We can figure it out. Maybe Holtby, I look at Murray in Pitt who i hear may be on the block. But rask is done in this locker room whether anyone knows it yet or not......

Bergie, Krejci, Coyle, Kuraly stays down the middle.....

Marchand, Pasta, Wagner, Studninka, Sandstrom, Kullman, stay...

DeBrusk, Carlo, trade bait....
Louzan, Vaak, Moore, Clifton.......so we have a 1a......Louzan a 4-5 now.....Vaak is a 5-6 now....Gryz is a legit 4-5 now.....so we need a 1A and 2..... number 2 Dmen. I dont know who is out there but does Carlo Debrusk get a a stud number one dman ?

This is great stuff....Real question is who is this the right GM....I dont think so....

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
His contract negotiations, McAvoy draft, Halak, Coyle and MoJo acquisitions are by far the feathers in his cap.

However plenty of "no soup for Sweeney" for the
2015 1st round fiasco (that helped lose them a Cup) and UV pick. Then add in the Backes signing,
Jimmy Hayes trade and not re-upping MoJo and thats some serious demerits.

I give Sweeney a B-

If he lets Krug walk, sign Dillon and one of Toffoli/Hall
or Toffoli and Craig Smith, then package Kase/DeBrusk
Gryz/pick for two 2020 1st rounders from Ottawa and NJ
I'll bump him to A-.
2015 was not a fiasco. It was a disaster. it was a franchise breaker. I was the single dumbest moves ever by a rookie GM. Even the guys selling hot dogs in the stands at the draft....Knew who he shoud have taken all three in a row. And he blew two of those picks , He passed on potentially two hall of fame players.....Fiasco.....I think not. That was a disater. Just my opinion.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Krug....Actually should have been traded because we all knew this was going to happen and now we lose the asset...Poor GMing. He is 29 and small and looks smaller every playoffs...Let him walk so fast....Use his money for a scorer.

Carlo, I dont see what others see. I see a big wet napkin. Not great offensively. Now, i am not giving him away, But i do think i would offer and listen, because i think their is a pigeon out there that may sell the farm for what he thinks could be a young franchise type 1-2 Dman.....Carlo is not a 1- or 2....he is a 4........If i could get a 1 and a player, i pounce. Or a 30 plus goal guy 24 under thats tough. I do it.

DeBrusk, I am not married to this kid either especially at the 5 million i hear he wants.....This guy has Coyotes written all over him. I like the kid, But i see what he brings. If i can get a top 4 dman and a number 2 pick....I deal him. Maybe Calgary for Bennetplus ???.............Or something around him.

Rask...Cut bait. We can figure it out. Maybe Holtby, I look at Murray in Pitt who i hear may be on the block. But rask is done in this locker room whether anyone knows it yet or not......

Louzan, Vaak, Moore, Clifton.......so we have a 1a......Louzan a 4-5 now.....Vaak is a 5-6 now....Gryz is a legit 4-5 now.....so we need a 1A and 2..... number 2 Dmen. I dont know who is out there but does Carlo Debrusk get a a stud number one dman ?

This is great stuff....Real question is who is this the right GM....I dont think so....

trading krug because “he’s an asset” is loser mentality when you’re the best team in the league. Solid MMQBing though. Nothing like trying to sound like the smartest in the room by suggesting the Bruins trade one of their top defenseman because he could walk.

If every team applied your logic, everyone would be doing it. But they don’t because it’s not logical.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

He 23

There is no way I trade Carlo . He is exactly what the bruins need. He's 23 and has been playing 20 minutes as a top
D . It would be very hard to replace him and his future potential is huge . I don't think he has even grown into his man body yet. He will keep getting better .
I wouldn't trade Rask either . One of the best goalies in the league and the only reason the bruins are doing as well as they are . The tandem approach keeps him fresh

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Sweeney wants a first this draft. Thinking someone surprising gets traded.

Thinking Krejci, Carlo, and Moore for something big. A top 10 first or big name forward.

Carlo is a darn good player and hard to give up however bruins need him to move from Moore and pick up something good in exchange...Krejci simply makes the trade more attractive. Plus it's time to move Coyle up to 2nd line duties.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Thinking Krejci, Carlo, and Moore for something big. A top 10 first or big name forward.

Carlo is a darn good player and hard to give up however bruins need him to move from Moore and pick up something good in exchange...Krejci simply makes the trade more attractive. Plus it's time to move Coyle up to 2nd line duties.

I'm always relieved that writers of comments like this aren't the B's' GM.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins get to game 7 of Cup Finals and somehow lost a series they won 7-2 & 5-1 in St Louis.

they won the Presidents Trophy and played in the playoffs when there Vezina goalie left during the series.

but now they suck and their GM isn’t the right guy

not sure God would be acceptable for Broons loyalists

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
trading krug because “he’s an asset” is loser mentality when you’re the best team in the league. Solid MMQBing though. Nothing like trying to sound like the smartest in the room by suggesting the Bruins trade one of their top defenseman because he could walk.

If every team applied your logic, everyone would be doing it. But they don’t because it’s not logical.

I mean after the return Faulk got for Carolina I suggested the Bruins should trade krug because they could get a better return than Carolina did.

the past three postseasons combined he’s been on the ice for more 5v5 goals than any other defender on the bruins and he was 3rd in 5v5 minutes played. He was a huge liability defensively in the post season the last three years.

Reactions: Gordoff

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I prefer to trade without creating another whole so for me Grizz,Bjork, Kuhlman,Lindholm,Ritchie and Moore. Obviously Grizz and Bjork would have the most value , if I can get a 1st for that package , see ya. The others, make your best offer.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Bruins get to game 7 of Cup Finals and somehow lost a series they won 7-2 & 5-1 in St Louis.

they won the Presidents Trophy and played in the playoffs when there Vezina goalie left during the series.

but now they suck and their GM isn’t the right guy

not sure God would be acceptable for Broons loyalists
I agree with most of this post, but these accomplishments you are alluding to basically amount to “almosts”, which honestly render them meaningless.

Sweeney is by no means a travesty as some would make it seem here, but he has totally failed to get the pieces necessary to fill the obvious weaknesses exposed in this years nightmare against Tampa.

Also the Presidents Trophy is only exciting if you’re management or ownership. There is only one trophy in this league that matters.

“we won the presidents trophy”

“great, did you win the Stanley Cup”

“no, but we won the regular season”

“who gives a shit”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with most of this post, but these accomplishments you are alluding to basically amount to “almosts”, which honestly render them meaningless.

Sweeney is by no means a travesty as some would make it seem here, but he has totally failed to get the pieces necessary to fill the obvious weaknesses exposed in this years nightmare against Tampa.

Also the Presidents Trophy is only exciting if you’re management or ownership. There is only one trophy in this league that matters.

“we won the presidents trophy”

“great, did you win the Stanley Cup”

“no, but we won the regular season”

“who gives a shit”
I went into the Bubble skeptical about the playoffs and when Rask bolted my attitude was ‘who gives a shit’.

right or wrong I pretty much didn’t care - just how I felt and considering my first playoff game was that 7-0 slaughter of Toronto in 1968 and haven’t missed a handful live since 1983 it was something I never experienced watching this team

From the sounds of the radio and social media I’m probably the only one but I really didn’t care all that much whether they won or lost I felt it was a farce

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yes and 9 months from now they can reassess those two and see if they want to extend

put me down for Swayman a star in Boston and the 2021-22 D with some composition out of: McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Carlo, Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton, Ahcan exciting and one of better groups in the game
At 5'8" he'd better skate like a water bug so he doesn't get his head kicked in.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Sweeney is somehow able to get a high first round pick, do we really trust him and his scouting staff to make the right pick, especially since they seem to favor grit, jam and being a 200 foot player over offensive skill?

Ty Anderson wrote a good piece last year on 98.5's website (Anderson: You're right to question Don Sweeney's first-round decision).
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^was exactly what I was going to write.
NO I do NOT feel that he and his scouting staff have what it takes. I would almost expect him to pick a 5'7'' defenseman who Central Scouting expects to be picked as a 3rd or 4th rounder. I don't know how this can be remedied between now and October 9th.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There is no way I trade Carlo . He is exactly what the bruins need. He's 23 and has been playing 20 minutes as a top
D . It would be very hard to replace him and his future potential is huge . I don't think he has even grown into his man body yet. He will keep getting better .
I wouldn't trade Rask either . One of the best goalies in the league and the only reason the bruins are doing as well as they are . The tandem approach keeps him fresh

I am not down on Carlo but must say, I'm not certain I see the trajectory you do. Some smart people call him a top shutdown D, but he did not play particularly well in the playoffs.

At just 23, I would keep Brandon and see how he develops. At this point I believe it fair to say he will never be an intimidating physical presence. Apparently, that's not who he is.

So, what does he bring, what he might bring, or do you move on if the ceiling is low when he's, say, 25 or 26? To me, he's an enigma. I'm not sure what he is, or might become. My fear is that he's not going to grow much beyond what we've seen.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Sweeney wants a first this draft. Thinking someone surprising gets traded.

He also publically lamented not having a first the summer after the Nash trade too and did nothing. Probably won't make a big trade off the roster. Not his MO.

I doubt we will see any big moves. Maybe they take a swing at Hall. I would be shocked if it wasn't nearly exactly the same crew back next year.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Just my opinion, but I'd keep Krejci for one more year. They are unlikely to find anyone better as second line center. More, Charlie Coyle is an excellent third line center, and that's where he should stay.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This thread is comedy gold :popcorn:

1 win from a Championship
President trophy this year

And some people act like we're the worst franchise in the NHL.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
2015 was not a fiasco. It was a disaster. it was a franchise breaker. I was the single dumbest moves ever by a rookie GM. Even the guys selling hot dogs in the stands at the draft....Knew who he shoud have taken all three in a row. And he blew two of those picks , He passed on potentially two hall of fame players.....Fiasco.....I think not. That was a disater. Just my opinion.
Agree, I was screaming IDIOT! at my TV during that draft.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I am not down on Carlo but must say, I'm not certain I see the trajectory you do. Some smart people call him a top shutdown D, but he did not play particularly well in the playoffs.

At just 23, I would keep Brandon and see how he develops. At this point I believe it fair to say he will never be an intimidating physical presence. Apparently, that's not who he is.

So, what does he bring, what he might bring, or do you move on if the ceiling is low when he's, say, 25 or 26? To me, he's an enigma. I'm not sure what he is, or might become. My fear is that he's not going to grow much beyond what we've seen.
Yes he did have a bad playoffs this year but so did a lot of good players. I would look at his full body of work before taking this farce of a situation into account. And with that he is a top 3 defensive d men in the league. To put it in context, the Bruins allowed 34 goals while on the PK and he was on the ice for 1 of those.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yes he did have a bad playoffs this year but so did a lot of good players. I would look at his full body of work before taking this farce of a situation into account. And with that he is a top 3 defensive d men in the league. To put it in context, the Bruins allowed 34 goals while on the PK and he was on the ice for 1 of those.

Of all the guys in the league, do you really believe he is within the top three of defensive defensemen? I'm not arguing. I'm asking a sincere question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad