Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Sweeney needs to go. He has had a stanley cup winning nucleus in their prime for five years. He has failed to capitalize on that. He needs to go. His deadline deals have been pitiful, his drafting overall has been a franchise disaster. He is scared, toothless and gutless. He just needs to go.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Sweeney needs to go. He has had a stanley cup winning nucleus in their prime for five years. He has failed to capitalize on that. He needs to go. His deadline deals have been pitiful, his drafting overall has been a franchise disaster. He is scared, toothless and gutless. He just needs to go.
Agreed. Neely can take his jumbo home-cooked meatballs and take a hike as well. He has signed off on numerous decisions that have hurt this franchise. Time to break up the old boys club.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
What I wish they do is go all in or rebuild . No bridge year. Keep the same team and make minor moves and hold onto cap space i don’t want. See I think the problem Sweeney has one vision and Neely has another. Which one is right will find out. But we all know this isn’t a normal year for all sports. I’ll give credit whoever wins championships even in Boston obviously not the bruins but they will win it because they deserved it. But if the teams can’t play @ home arenas I wish they hold off until they can . The NHL has done a great job with the bubble but hopefully soon it could get back the way it should.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Sweeney has had a SC winning nucleus for
maybe 3 years. 2016 they weren't close and didn't
even make the PO. Their D corp was NOT PO
caliber. 2017 they were dressing Cross and a 19
year old McAvoy on their D.

It wasn't until 2017-18 with McAvoy and Carlo
stabilizing the D corp that they moved into
a group of 8 teams that could compete for
a Cup. Even then Carlo didn't make the PO.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Dammit...my theory out the door. Keep forgetting this.

If wants to play in Boston and the team wants him here, there is a deal to be made. If it isn't stupid money, I'd welcome it. For all the criticisms people are throwing around here about Hall, the fact remains that he is miles better than any wing we have not named Marchand or Pastrnak. Let's not forget that. He won't be in jeopardy of losing his job to JDB, either of the Ritchies, Bjork, Senyshyn, Kuhlman etc.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I'm not overly fond of Sweeney but unfortunately the business side of this thing he has done everything that has been asked.

He's got star players on the roster on low contracts, hes got a winning team so the games sell tickets and he got a team to game 7 at home. Win or lose the business side is good.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not overly fond of Sweeney but unfortunately the business side of this thing he has done everything that has been asked.

He's got star players on the roster on low contracts, hes got a winning team so the games sell tickets and he got a team to game 7 at home. Win or lose the business side is good.

That's a great point. His bosses are not fans, but businessmen. As long as the Jacobs family cash cow keeps producing milk, the man stays on the job.

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

maybe

Chara likely to retire, no Krug, Rask mia, Krejci could be out after this season. Plus with Bergeron age/wear and tear

Business could get tough

This is why lots are sour about 2015 draft. Because that could have set the roster for a another decade/smooth transition

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That's a great point. His bosses are not fans, but businessmen. As long as the Jacobs family cash cow keeps producing milk, the man stays on the job.
See Harry Sinden, won nothing for 4 decades but made Monty Burns even richer. As much as I hate Sweeney the sad reality is as long as the building is full, when crowds are allowed again, Sweengenius stays. Cassidy I can hope winds up coaching in Minsk

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
See Harry Sinden, won nothing for 4 decades but made Monty Burns even richer. As much as I hate Sweeney the sad reality is as long as the building is full, when crowds are allowed again, Sweengenius stays. Cassidy I can hope winds up coaching in Minsk

And Sinden is still a consultant. What I don't get, though, is that the team has been willing to spend to the cap every season, so why the hell not get that scoring winger the team has desperately needed?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Embarrassingly so. I'll never get tired of looking up the summer's sub-$1M 4th liner they sign and saying, "This guy hasn't scored a goal in two seasons."

Isn't that the truth, but it really does beg the question of why they are bargain bin shopping in the first place. I get that poor pro scouting comes into play when you are doing deals like that, but there are proven NHL scorers available every year that they could afford but don't sign.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Isn't that the truth, but it really does beg the question of why they are bargain bin shopping in the first place. I get that poor pro scouting comes into play when you are doing deals like that, but there are proven NHL scorers available every year that they could afford but don't sign.

I'm not sure there are proven scorers available that they could afford. Proven scorers are expensive and the Bruins are always close to the Cap limit to begin with.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
maybe

Chara likely to retire, no Krug, Rask mia, Krejci could be out after this season. Plus with Bergeron age/wear and tear

Business could get tough

This is why lots are sour about 2015 draft. Because that could have set the roster for a another decade/smooth transition
1000%. Cream gone bad for a week sour

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not sure there are proven scorers available that they could afford. Proven scorers are expensive and the Bruins are always close to the Cap limit to begin with.

But dammit I wish they'd try. There would be money for it if Krug is not re-signed, and if JDB doesn't get stupid money like the rumored ask from his agent.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Correct, if they don't sign their only legit offensive defenseman.

I don't see Krug as that. He is their best one, true, and quite possibly their worst defensive defenseman- though he is probably better than Clifton in that regard and at this stage in Clifton's development. I believe McAvoy can take that next step- all the tools are there, and even if he never produces like Krug, the loss of Krug is outweighed by a combo of McAvoy, more minutes for Matt Grz, and a reliable, consistent scorer on the wing.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let's see what Taylor Hall signs for this off season, they have some space and reports are speculating he wants to sign with a contender. If Sweengenius has any sack he signs Hall, deals DeBrusk and Carlo (if DeBrusk really want 5m plus) and adds a Tom Wilson type RW and some legit scoring threats on the third line with Coyle (Craig Smith, Davydov) to go with some size on the wings (Senysyn, Frederic, Ritchie as a fourth liner) and D (Dillon, Gudas, Borowiecki).

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Let's see what Taylor Hall signs for this off season, they have some space and reports are speculating he wants to sign with a contender. If Sweengenius has any sack he signs Hall, deals DeBrusk and Carlo (if DeBrusk really want 5m plus) and adds a Tom Wilson type RW and some legit scoring threats on the third line with Coyle (Craig Smith, Davydov) to go with some size on the wings (Senysyn, Frederic, Ritchie as a fourth liner) and D (Dillon, Gudas, Borowiecki).

If Chara retires I think Brendan Dillon would be an excellent replacement and at 29 is in the prime of his career. Bruins could use his big body and consistent physical presence.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I'd assume this would mean not signing Krug and not bringing Rask back. Only way to stay under the Cap.

Any idea who the phantom Tom Wilson type would be?

Would Debrusk have to be signed before they could trade him?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad