Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
sweeney needs to transition a couple of areas :
2ND Line centre position . Needs to make a deal like how the habs stole Suzuki from Vegas for Paccioretty.
Propose : krejci to Arizona for Hayton. Hayton will be an up and coming star in this league in the mold of Suzuki.
Coyle can move up to 2nd line centre and hayton can play 3rd line centre for a year and transition to 2ND line centre in a year.
Defense : need to get tougher and someone who can log alot of minutes. A Darnell Nurse for Debrusk trade might be the trick.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
2ND Line centre position . Needs to make a deal like how the habs stole Suzuki from Vegas for Paccioretty.
Propose : krejci to Arizona for Hayton. Hayton will be an up and coming star in this league in the mold of Suzuki.
Coyle can move up to 2nd line centre and hayton can play 3rd line centre for a year and transition to 2ND line centre in a year.
Defense : need to get tougher and someone who can log alot of minutes. A Darnell Nurse for Debrusk trade might be the trick.

Why would Arizona make that trade?

Why would Edmonton make that trade?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Arizona cap situation isn't great so they aren't taking on
Krejci at anything beyond 2-3M. Additionally Boston
would need to pony up Studnicka to boot. Better
chance I become NHL commisioner.

Incidentally Pacioretty still has productive years left in him.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Why are we trading Krejci? He wasn't clearly one of our top 3 forwards in these playoffs???

I will again suggest that we move Pasta to Krejci's right side and work to find a RW for Bergy/Marchand. Try Kase, Bjork, Stud, etc. and/or find an option elsewhere.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Arizona cap situation isn't great so they aren't taking on
Krejci at anything beyond 2-3M. Additionally Boston
would need to pony up Studnicka to boot. Better
chance I become NHL commisioner.

Incidentally Pacioretty still has productive years left in him.

He was Vegas' leading scoring this season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sweeney’s had a more than decent record of success. He retooled this roster on the fly, and they went from consecutive DNQs to making the playoffs four consecutive seasons with a finals run and running up against Tampa in round 2 twice.

Tampa’s not going anywhere.

I’d be in favor of Sweeney being given the green light to take bold action and turn the roster over in a rather substantial way. They’ve got talent, but I’d like to see them shuffle the deck.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney has made his mistakes - Barzal we all know was a top
10 pick who fell in their lap and they passed 3 times before the Bruins fan crowed ‘what the f*** are you doing’

letting his scouts talk him out of Robert Thomas on the Pick clock last minute after they apparently spent a lot of hours on scenarios that would arise that had Thomas the pick.

But his blueprint vision is the right one and he’s accumulating a top defense in hockey and 200 foot big centers Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher, Hall.

He’s grabbed top college FA and got arguably the best one this past March. He got the only one I wanted.

The Barzal pick will stick to him because we all know had he picked him they would be a monster

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This core will be given another chance.

Then Krejci and Rask contract are up after 20-21 and new era will start with their 14,25M allocated elsewhere.
Yes and 9 months from now they can reassess those two and see if they want to extend

put me down for Swayman a star in Boston and the 2021-22 D with some composition out of: McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Carlo, Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton, Ahcan exciting and one of better groups in the game

Reactions: Blowfish and TCB

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sweeney’s had a more than decent record of success. He retooled this roster on the fly, and they went from consecutive DNQs to making the playoffs four consecutive seasons with a finals run and running up against Tampa in round 2 twice.

Tampa’s not going anywhere.

I’d be in favor of Sweeney being given the green light to take bold action and turn the roster over in a rather substantial way. They’ve got talent, but I’d like to see them shuffle the deck.

TB has so much talent at their prime or barely in it.
They have a legit chance at producing 3 Cups
thru the '24 PO. Vasy, Sergachev, Hedman, Point, Kucherov and a very good defensive center in Cirelli.
Watching Hedman in PO this year to last year is night and day.

I can't see Boston getting past them with the
question marks around Rask and to a lesser
extent Bergeron.

Bruins might be better off trying to cop a WC
into The Metro for the next 2 years.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
TB has so much talent at their prime or barely in it.
They have a legit chance at producing 3 Cups
thru the '24 PO. Vasy, Sergachev, Hedman, Point, Kucherov and a very good defensive center in Cirelli.
Watching Hedman in PO this year to last year is night and day.

I can't see Boston getting past them with the
question marks around Rask and to a lesser
extent Bergeron.

Bruins might be better off trying to cop a WC
into The Metro for the next 2 years.

True, but thankfully this isn’t the NBA. Playoff upsets happen much more frequently in hockey than in most other sports.

Still, I don’t think that’s a reason to bring back more or less the same group, a year older and simply swap out a part or two. We know what this group is capable of. We’ve seen it. They knocked on the door, but didn’t win the Cup.

I’d rather see Sweeney be given the light to be proactive and go and find a trade or two that makes them a better team in the mid to long term.

Before my time, but they made the finals in 90 and made the Conference Finals in 91, and then Sinden went and dealt Craig Janney to acquire Adam Oates. Those types of trades are more rare in today’s NHL, but I wouldn’t be opposed to dealing anyone off of this roster if it has the potential to get them over the hump.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Having followed this franchise for nearly 40 years, I'd be surprised if Rask is back. From Oates to Moog to Kessel to Seguin, if you put yourself over the team or you start to become a headache or voice opinions, almost regardless of your talent or the need, you're gone.

So while Halak's play in the playoffs showed just how important Rask is, I'd still be surprised to see him back. He singlehandedly stripped this team of a great chance to win a Cup, in likely the last year of their captain's career. I have to imagine that doesn't sit well with plenty of people in that building, despite all the PR speak they're giving it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think Sweeney has done a lot of good things and he put them in a position to contend quickly after a re-tool, but his half measures with regard to the second line have cost this team at least one Cup. Is he going to use Krug's money this year to come up with a proven solution, or are we going to see more of the same?

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Sweeney has done a lot of good things and he put them in a position to contend quickly after a re-tool, but his half measures with regard to the second line have cost this team at least one Cup. Is he going to use Krug's money this year to come up with a proven solution, or are we going to see more of the same?

Sweeney is set so well to acquire the top UFA forward this summer and he really needs to be able to take it to the end.

But having watched him do more of the sane for 5 years my expectations still are low.

This is honestly prime time to add premiun tslebt to the u30 group and fix one half of the 2015 draft

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Sweeney is set so well to acquire the top UFA forward this summer and he really needs to be able to take it to the end.

But having watched him do more of the sane for 5 years my expectations still are low.

This is honestly prime time to add premiun tslebt to the u30 group and fix one half of the 2015 draft

He is set up well for Hall, but it doesn’t have to be Hall or even a UFA, just someone who is an established top6 forward that’s not likely to fall apart (i.e too old, or injury riddled).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He is set up well for Hall, but it doesn’t have to be Hall or even a UFA, just someone who is an established top6 forward that’s not likely to fall apart (i.e too old, or injury riddled).

I just don’t know if Sweeney is competitive on the trade market, the asset pool looks pretty empty.
But contracts wise he is very well set to add high end talent.

Some dead cap will be dropping of the books(Backes/Miller/Seidenberg/Beleskey), Krug money looks to be out, Krejci contract 7.25M runs out in a year and if re-signed highly likely should get less and if retires there’s Coyle(signed longterm) and Studnicka to cover for midd6 C spots.

From core guys Rask& Carlo are next summer, again with Rask we wouldn’t be looking at a raise, McAvoy in 2 years time and Pasta in 3.

This is the summer to go for the big add and take advantage of flat cap

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Sweeney has made his mistakes - Barzal we all know was a top
10 pick who fell in their lap and they passed 3 times before the Bruins fan crowed ‘what the f*** are you doing’

letting his scouts talk him out of Robert Thomas on the Pick clock last minute after they apparently spent a lot of hours on scenarios that would arise that had Thomas the pick.

But his blueprint vision is the right one and he’s accumulating a top defense in hockey and 200 foot big centers Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher, Hall.

He’s grabbed top college FA and got arguably the best one this past March. He got the only one I wanted.

The Barzal pick will stick to him because we all know had he picked him they would be a monster
Or Kyle Connor, or Chabot. Either of those would have this Bruins team a notch better than where they are now.

If he were reaching I wish he’d reached for Boeser. Hindsight. On to 2021

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
True, but thankfully this isn’t the NBA. Playoff upsets happen much more frequently in hockey than in most other sports.

Still, I don’t think that’s a reason to bring back more or less the same group, a year older and simply swap out a part or two. We know what this group is capable of. We’ve seen it. They knocked on the door, but didn’t win the Cup.

I’d rather see Sweeney be given the light to be proactive and go and find a trade or two that makes them a better team in the mid to long term.

Before my time, but they made the finals in 90 and made the Conference Finals in 91, and then Sinden went and dealt Craig Janney to acquire Adam Oates. Those types of trades are more rare in today’s NHL, but I wouldn’t be opposed to dealing anyone off of this roster if it has the potential to get them over the hump.

Yeah more upsets for certain and we'll see some maybe tonight. I don't see Philly or NY taking TB more than
6 if Kucherov is healthy. I don't think TB ever felt
really threatned by Boston.

Remember that trade well. Oates was a better distributor
than Janney (really good) but a better goal scorer
even with half a blade. Nice trade by Sinden.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

This to me is a make it or break thing for Sweeney. I've generally been a fan of what he's done, but this ^^^ is critical and his biggest failure (worse than the 2015 draft imo) so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad