Management Don Sweeney II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hahahah....half those players your listing didn't even dress in the playoffs. And a few that did only dressed a couple games.

Might want to do some research before posting what a "crappy line-up" Pittsburgh won the cup with.

Shouldn't we get back to bashing Sweeney?

Gorten gets hometown boy Vesey to play in the land of the Evil Empires while Sweeney gets another "almost".

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
True
But Crosby and Malkin aren't "good" players. And Pitt actually made the playoffs the last 2 seasons and you know, won a Cup. Kinda hard to say that the 2 teams are equal.

I'm not saying they're equal. Just trying to point out that nobody thought Pitt was a Cup contender halfway through last season, even with Crosby, Malkin and Letang. Ditto for SJ.

I hear all this talk about our "cup window" and I don't know that I buy the concept. A good core with the right additions can get to the finals. You don't necessarily have to have this crop of young players growing together and all peaking at the right time, aka Cup window.

The B's aren't very good right now, but I don't think they're so far that they can't get there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Gorten gets hometown boy Vesey to play in the land of the Evil Empires while Sweeney gets another "almost".

I subscribe to Red Line and my bud emails me ISS and I read the other scouting services

I play in the SIM so we do drafts and I went over the last 3 drafts of Boston and New York and rated the top 20 prospects and it was close to a clean sweep 20-0 Boston, ok maybe 17-3. I realize the Rangers traded all their picks but even taking out Boston's 6 firsts to make it fairer Boston crushes them - I even took out Boston's 5 seconds over that time (Donato, Carlo, JFK, Lauzon, Lindgren) and they took them due picks like Heinen, Gabreile, and Bjork.

Those two short sighted deals for Yandle and St Louis would have Jeff Gorton public enemy number 1 on this place

But I get it most fans say we missed the playoffs they made it Gorton is better than Sweeney they just don't know what's below the surface like an iceberg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Chias fault. Shoulda drafted him and this wouldn't have been an issue, plus who wants someone that's handed a spot or worried about fans. Dude is in for it in NY. The fans are WAY worse. He better pray Larry Brooks doesn't start in on him either.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chias fault. Shoulda drafted him and this wouldn't have been an issue.

They were all hung over - the 2011 draft they missed on Vesey in that 6th round was 10 days after the Cup win.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Hahahah....half those players your listing didn't even dress in the playoffs. And a few that did only dressed a couple games.

Might want to do some research before posting what a "crappy line-up" Pittsburgh won the cup with.

Half ? Might want to mind your business wasn't posting to you but why Im at it

games played in the playoffs

Bonino 24
Hagelin 24
Sheary 23
Rust 23
Maatta 18
Lovejoy 24
Kuhnhackl 24
Fehr 23
Schultz 15
Cole 24
Murray 21
Dumoulin 24

Do your own research before opening your mouth and calling someone out

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I subscribe to Red Line and my bud emails me ISS and I read the other scouting services

I play in the SIM so we do drafts and I went over the last 3 drafts of Boston and New York and rated the top 20 prospects and it was close to a clean sweep 20-0 Boston, ok maybe 17-3. I realize the Rangers traded all their picks but even taking out Boston's 6 firsts to make it fairer Boston crushes them - I even took out Boston's 5 seconds over that time (Donato, Carlo, JFK, Lauzon, Lindgren) and they took them due picks like Heinen, Gabreile, and Bjork.

Those two short sighted deals for Yandle and St Louis would have Jeff Gorton public enemy number 1 on this place

But I get it most fans say we missed the playoffs they made it Gorton is better than Sweeney they just don't know what's below the surface like an iceberg

Glad to hear that Providence will be better than Hartford next year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Look at where they were and what peopl le were saying about em half way through last season... Now it's the model franchise

Aah okay.
But they never had major holes in the lineup, they had generational C + franchise C and elite #1D.
Their issues were brutal coaching and depth, and these problems are easy to fix as long as the Gm is willing to make moves.

They fired their coach and traded their Seids for puck moving Daley, and Perron for Hageling and created the fastest line in hockey.

Bruins team is not even close to being this years Pens team, comparing Krug to Letang just shows that.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Aah okay.
But they never had major holes in the lineup, they had generational C + franchise C and elite #1D.
Their issues were brutal coaching and depth, and these problems are easy to fix as long as the Gm is willing to make moves.

They fired their coach and traded their Seids for puck moving Daley, and Perron for Hageling and created the fastest line in hockey.

Bruins team is not even close to being this years Pens team, comparing Krug to Letang just shows that.

After all these years Rutherford is now a genius :laugh: Letang is a terrible D man that has played with the best two players on the planet his whole career.

offensively TK is as good or even better at this stage than Letang. I wouldn't trade then straight up for each other.

But that's the homer in me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Half ? Might want to mind your business wasn't posting to you but why Im at it

games played in the playoffs

Bonino 24
Hagelin 24
Sheary 23
Rust 23
Maatta 18
Lovejoy 24
Kuhnhackl 24
Fehr 23
Schultz 15
Cole 24
Murray 21
Dumoulin 24

Do your own research before opening your mouth and calling someone out

What? Most of those guys weren't even on your post I quoted.

From your post.

Rust - 23
Fehr - 23
Kuhnhackl - 24
Maatta - 18
Murray - 13
Schultz - 15
Pouliot - 2
Porter - 0
Sprong - 0
Wilson - 0
Oleksy - 0
Erixson - 0

Couple of those guys didn't play a regular season game for the Penguins this year, let alone a playoff game.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative that the Penguins were a crappy line-up to win a cup.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
After all these years Rutherford is now a genius :laugh: Letang is a terrible D man that has played with the best two players on the planet his whole career.

offensively TK is as good or even better at this stage than Letang. I wouldn't trade then straight up for each other.

But that's the homer in me.

Rutherford has made mistakes but he's been willing to make changes when things don't work.
He traded away 2 players that didn't fit into the lineup and fired the coach before the season was lost.

I have to question if you have ever really watched the Pens, Letang plays half the game and put up 67 points in 71 games, and 15 points in 23 playoff games, yet Krug is offensively as good or better than Letang?
Krug isn't a player you play on the top pairing and certainly isn't someone you build the defense around, Letang is that.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
What? Most of those guys weren't even on your post I quoted.

From your post.

Rust - 23
Fehr - 23
Kuhnhackl - 24
Maatta - 18
Murray - 13
Schultz - 15
Pouliot - 2
Porter - 0
Sprong - 0
Wilson - 0
Oleksy - 0
Erixson - 0

Couple of those guys didn't play a regular season game for the Penguins this year, let alone a playoff game.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative that the Penguins were a crappy line-up to win a cup.

Reed threw the post I said nothing about who played and didn't play in the playoffs. We where talking line ups/rosters, I even put a question mark after the Dman on the playoff line concerning the D (didn't know who played in the po's)

Still, I will stick to my opinion that the Pens line up is average top to bottom at best. Excluding the top 2 guys and maybe PK

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Rutherford has made mistakes but he's been willing to make changes when things don't work.
He traded away 2 players that didn't fit into the lineup and fired the coach before the season was lost.

I have to question if you have ever really watched the Pens, Letang plays half the game and put up 67 points in 71 games, and 15 points in 23 playoff games, yet Krug is offensively as good or better than Letang?
Krug isn't a player you play on the top pairing and certainly isn't someone you build the defense around, Letang is that.

Do you remember how BAD Letang was in the playoffs vs the Bruins. To be honest I like when he's on the ice 5 on 5 vs us.

He did have a great year this past year but Im not going to call him a guy Im building my defense around

The numbers will work out over time in regards to points but neither will be confused as shut down guys.

Rutherford was lucky like most every GM his trades worked out because his team was awful the first half of the year

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sweeney just missed on Vesey. He had his reasons to choose NYR but that's a black mark on Donny not signing the local kid who grew up a huge Bruins fan and dreamed about playing for them.

Now he must look at other things.

First, you have to extend Marchand. Give him 49M/7y and enjoy.

He also have plenty of Cap space un-used. I would sign Hudler to a 4M/1y deal. At worst, you deal him at the deadline for assets to a playoffs team. At best, he helps the team make the playoffs. And the money is there again next summer to spend it.

But what will Don do? Will he get a Cap dump before the season? Will he keep the money for in-season trades or deadline high salaries acquisition? Adress the D?

We'll see. He'll be judged by results. We'll know after the year if this team will do better than last two 9th places teams and make the playoffs for the first time since that cruel Habs series loss in 2014 after dominating the NHL in every categories all year...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's definitely something that concerns me, but then you have other guys that work better here and or want to be here and perform well and also do the "locker room" stuff that's all essential to your team eventually winning it all.

I think the Bruins need to focus on drafting young guys and signing free agents that have the mental make up that will fit this organization and not just the basic on paper skill sets that fill needs for your team, I think they've started to do that

Im no expert and most of what I say is theory at best, but this is the way it's appeared to me over the years

Boy that locker room really came in handy thw last 2 years.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Boy that locker room really came in handy thw last 2 years.

But that's exactly my point, the Bruins don't have enough of what they had in their good stretch anymore but it may or may not be steadily improving. And it was especially bad the year leading up to Chia getting sacked and it's still carried over. Keeping guys who didn't want to be here or a guy who was totally losing his edge and then throwing tantrums costing the team every handful of games wasn't going to help.

Still lots of work to do, I still believe in the team and think it's possible they make it intonthenplayoffs and trend upwards, but you won't find me denying the state they're in.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reed threw the post I said nothing about who played and didn't play in the playoffs. We where talking line ups/rosters, I even put a question mark after the Dman on the playoff line concerning the D (didn't know who played in the po's)

Still, I will stick to my opinion that the Pens line up is average top to bottom at best. Excluding the top 2 guys and maybe PK

Oh just excluding three of the best players in the world? Oh.

How do the Bruins look minus Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci?

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Maybe Don Sweeney lucked out with Vesey choosing NYR.

Wasn't there talk during the season that the Kings were furious at Sweeney for trading Jones back to a divisional rival: a supposed no/no among the GMs?

If Vesey had signed with the Bruins, the rumor of someone within the Bruins organization tampering to get local boy,Vesey, would most likely have surfaced.

Being one of the relatively new guys in the GM club, Sweeney doesn't need being pegged as an outsider.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Do you remember how BAD Letang was in the playoffs vs the Bruins. To be honest I like when he's on the ice 5 on 5 vs us.

He did have a great year this past year but Im not going to call him a guy Im building my defense around

The numbers will work out over time in regards to points but neither will be confused as shut down guys.

Rutherford was lucky like most every GM his trades worked out because his team was awful the first half of the year

Wasn't that like 3 years ago? How is that relevant to Letang's play today.

I'm not buying the Rutherford hype but his trades worked because his team was awful? So if his team was already good those trades wouldn't of worked out? What kind of messed up logic is this?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Oh just excluding three of the best players in the world? Oh.

How do the Bruins look minus Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci?

Wasn't about their top three it was about the roster top to bottom , but I will humor you... I like our team after those guys much better. But what do I know

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe Don Sweeney lucked out with Vesey choosing NYR.

Wasn't there talk during the season that the Kings were furious at Sweeney for trading Jones back to a divisional rival: a supposed no/no among the GMs?

If Vesey had signed with the Bruins, the rumor of someone within the Bruins organization tampering to get local boy,Vesey, would most likely have surfaced.

Being one of the relatively new guys in the GM club, Sweeney doesn't need being pegged as an outsider.

So your saying by NOT getting the player they were pursuing, this can be considered a positive thing for Sweeney's reputation among his fellow GMS? :shakehead

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Wasn't about their top three it was about the roster top to bottom , but I will humor you... I like our team after those guys much better. But what do I know

Minus their top three you don't like the team.

Where most of their cap gets allocated, where three of the best players in the world holds roster spots, you don't like the team.

What a relevant point that really shows an intimate understanding of a salary cap league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad