Management Don Sweeney II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Don Sweeney has done an amazing job bringing in young prospects into the system. Full credit where credit is due.

He now needs to add one defenseman that is a potential top pairing defenseman on the Boston Bruins while keeping his fingers crossed that 25% of the prospects he picked have an impact within two years.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Wasn't that like 3 years ago? How is that relevant to Letang's play today.

I'm not buying the Rutherford hype but his trades worked because his team was awful? So if his team was already good those trades wouldn't of worked out? What kind of messed up logic is this?

Ok Letangs a great defenseman and we can only wish TK can be as good as him.. Is that better? Are you saying the GM made those trades because he was adding depth ? Logic ? Who said anything about logic . If that Pens team can win a cup I like our chances sooner rather than later

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
But that's exactly my point, the Bruins don't have enough of what they had in their good stretch anymore but it may or may not be steadily improving. And it was especially bad the year leading up to Chia getting sacked and it's still carried over. Keeping guys who didn't want to be here or a guy who was totally losing his edge and then throwing tantrums costing the team every handful of games wasn't going to help.

Still lots of work to do, I still believe in the team and think it's possible they make it intonthenplayoffs and trend upwards, but you won't find me denying the state they're in.

You could be right, but I don't think the success of 2011 was about the locker room. It was about having the most dominant Dman in the game at that time who could not only shutdown the best scorers in the league, but who could lift the level of every other D on the team. It was about having a tremendous money goalie in net. It was about having 3 lines that could score and a 4th that could hold its own.

Now maybe Shawn Thornton yelling at people in the locker room made Tim Thomas play better. I don't believe that, but who knows.

The problem with character/locker room things is that people only point out its existence after the fact. Team loses? Not enough character. Team wins? This is a band of brothers.

I can look at the B's D right now and say that I don't think they are talented enough to compete. We'll know if I'm right or wrong.

Before the fact, tell me, do the B's have good character or not?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
You could be right, but I don't think the success of 2011 was about the locker room. It was about having the most dominant Dman in the game at that time who could not only shutdown the best scorers in the league, but who could lift the level of every other D on the team. It was about having a tremendous money goalie in net. It was about having 3 lines that could score and a 4th that could hold its own.

Now maybe Shawn Thornton yelling at people in the locker room made Tim Thomas play better. I don't believe that, but who knows.

The problem with character/locker room things is that people only point out its existence after the fact. Team loses? Not enough character. Team wins? This is a band of brothers.

I can look at the B's D right now and say that I don't think they are talented enough to compete. We'll know if I'm right or wrong.

A strong roster is absolutely the most important, and it's quite possible a team can win a cup without also having an outstanding locker room, that's hard to tell. Whats easy to tell is having more than a couple of players unhappy with their situation is not helpful to winning.

Im on the fence whether all those instances are truly a reflection of of claude and the front office or not.

Most likely with anything in life, it's a mixture of many things. And hopefully they just start identifying guys that will work here

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bruins are set to make a 09-14 run.

They have stars in Bergy-Marchand-Krejci-Rask-Chara.

Great supporting cast in Backes-Krug.

Young guys already contributing in Pasta-Spooner-Vatrano.

Character guys in McQuaid-Beleskey-K.Miller.

Cap space to take on salary to improve the team.

Plenty of quality prospects to either be traded for immediate help or step in at ELC money.

Clode.

By all account, Bruins had the worst D group in the league last year and Sweeney didn't address it. Well, even that worst D with a sub-par Rask was able to end up 1pt from the playoffs.

As this, it's not a Cup roster unless 93 Habs luck. But with a couple good moves/young guys stepping in and improvements from the youth, this team as plenty of upside.

Any team led by Bergy-Chara-Rask-Julien will battle for the playoffs. Not far the day when the Bruins will battle again for the top. Just like that 09-14 stretch.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Bruins are set to make a 09-14 run.

They have stars in Bergy-Marchand-Krejci-Rask-Chara.

Great supporting cast in Backes-Krug.

Young guys already contributing in Pasta-Spooner-Vatrano.

Character guys in McQuaid-Beleskey-K.Miller.

Cap space to take on salary to improve the team.

Plenty of quality prospects to either be traded for immediate help or step in at ELC money.

Clode.

By all account, Bruins had the worst D group in the league last year and Sweeney didn't address it. Well, even that worst D with a sub-par Rask was able to end up 1pt from the playoffs.

As this, it's not a Cup roster unless 93 Habs luck. But with a couple good moves/young guys stepping in and improvements from the youth, this team as plenty of upside.

Any team with led by Bergy-Chara-Rask-Julien will battle for the playoffs. Not far the day when the Bruins will battle again for the top. Just like that 09-14 stretch.

I like the optimism and share it IF someone is added to the top 4 and Morrow or Miller are given a FT shot and produce as projected.

Add in one of:

Shattenkirk
Fowler
Vatanen
Theadore
Lindholm
Trouba
Dumba
Brodin

..and I like their chances to surprise in the East and actually be able to endure the 82 game season with less minutes put on Chara.

The cupboard is indeed full. The picks and prospects are in abundance and rated correctly. If there was ever a chance to move a couple for one of the above and continue to have a stocked shelf then the next two weeks would be it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jakub Zboril who was Sweeney's first draft choice turns 21 on February 21, 2018 and can legally buy a drink at that time we can start to see what the harvest looks like

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
It will come down to his drafting and development, that is the basket he has put his eggs. For the most part the immediate roster has steadily been downgraded, much of it in the name of futures.

He should get a few years and there is some reason for optimism for our prospect pool and we better have got some hits making a positive contribution in the next few years or he will get the ax.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Right on. I see it as a talent issue not "character".

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good call. Those guys without Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand= cup runneth over.

You sound like my wife or kids when you disagree with them about something and they go to the opposite extremes to try to make their points :laugh:

Take away the Top 3-4 players on any team and what's left is not going to be MVP material, is it? The difference is that you selected a few of the worst roster players from last year, rather than some good average to above average performers.

Do I think the B's are Cup contenders this year? No, absolutely not. However, I didn't have SJ and PIT in the Finals last August either. I like the direction the B's are headed in, even if many here don't see it. If Sweeney is under pressure to make the playoffs this season, then he should deal a prospect/pick and a player for D help. I'm not sure that happens until the B's get a chance to see how players like C Miller and some of the young D have progressed over the summer.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I think the B`s have good leadership, where I think they fall short on is skill, speed and a true identity and THAT is what I observed with that Cup team, they had an identity as being a mentally and physically tough team to play against

Observing the draft picks made by Sweeney and Co, this fan can see the direction they are clearly heading in and I hope to gawd Neely and Jacobs keep the he** out of the way as I believe DS has a solid plan in place but one that will take a few years for those kids to grow and develop

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Jakub Zboril who was Sweeney's first draft choice turns 21 on February 21, 2018 and can legally buy a drink at that time we can start to see what the harvest looks like

So there can't be any questions or criticisms of Sweeney until February 2018? Because if only then can we see what the harvest looks like, who cares what happens in the interim?

I will again reiterate that I'm not one of the ones calling for Sweeney to be fired, or pretending that he's the worst GM in the history of mankind. I am, however, one of the ones that is looking for more improvements in Boston instead of just stacking Providence and hoping that it pays off in 2 years.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Right on. I see it as a talent issue not "character".

The problem we're discussing though is that we keep getting guys with talent but apparently poor character that end up getting traded and how the Bruins can focus on getting talented guys that also will fit the mold and character of this team.

Crude version: We need more Marchand's Krug's and Bergeron's and less Hamilton's and Smiths.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The problem we're discussing though is that we keep getting guys with talent but apparently poor character that end up getting traded and how the Bruins can focus on getting talented guys that also will fit the mold and character of this team.

Crude version: We need more Marchand's Krug's and Bergeron's and less Hamilton's and Smiths.

Are you talking character or simply good fits in the room?

Just because Smith and Hamilton seemingly didn't have a great relationships with their teammates isn't the same as lacking character. Perhaps they are just quieter, introverted people. Quiet/shy/introverted people can still possess great character. Not every character guy has to be an alpha male.

And how do you know how a player will fit into a particular dressing room until they are actually in that specific environment? Sure probably best to avoid guys who have had reported issues in their respective rooms, but a guy may fit well in one room and be disliked in another.

Not all 23 guys have to love each other, it's not realistic. Didn't Recchi and Ference has issues back during those cup contending days? But regardless of their issues their was respect there, which is all you can ask for. Those two not being best buddies didn't stop that team from winning.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Are you talking character or simply good fits in the room?

Just because Smith and Hamilton seemingly didn't have a great relationships with their teammates isn't the same as lacking character. Perhaps they are just quieter, introverted people. Quiet/shy/introverted people can still possess great character. Not every character guy has to be an alpha male.

And how do you know how a player will fit into a particular dressing room until they are actually in that specific environment? Sure probably best to avoid guys who have had reported issues in their respective rooms, but a guy may fit well in one room and be disliked in another.

Not all 23 guys have to love each other, it's not realistic. Didn't Recchi and Ference has issues back during those cup contending days? But regardless of their issues their was respect there, which is all you can ask for. Those two not being best buddies didn't stop that team from winning.

It's okay to be quite and introverted provided they like playing for the B's and perform.

Hamilton didn't want to play for Boston.
Smith I'm not so sure did either.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's okay to be quite and introverted provided they like playing for the B's and perform.

Hamilton didn't want to play for Boston.
Smith I'm not so sure did either.

True, and I was only using those two as they were the examples given.

Hamilton for whatever reason didn't want to play in Boston anymore. Maybe it was coaching, maybe he felt excluded in the room. That doesn't mean he's lacking character.

Smith despite reports of being an outsider in the room signed an extension not long before being dealt, so I'm not sure how badly he wanted to leave.

Just pointing out that "character" and "fitting in" are two different things.

And to be honest I don't really miss either of them. Didn't like the return on their trades, but that's a separate issue.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada

And he was the right choice. It's the 2 choices after that one... He had a deal in place that fell through with no viable backup plan.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I've never bought that Smith was some kind of a dressing room problem, seems like more of a convenient whisper campaign after they traded him for a lesser player.

He didn't seem to hamper Florida's performance with his cancerous ways, I think he even wore a letter at times, for a team that performed a lot better than our locker room full of character guys.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Would be nice if our 'fans' on HFBoards laid off the bridge guys C/K Millers McQuaid and Chara until then. Probably not going to happen though 2 of them were part of a Cup one likely the best player on that '11 team.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I've never bought that Smith was some kind of a dressing room problem, seems like more of a convenient whisper campaign after they traded him for a lesser player.

He didn't seem to hamper Florida's performance with his cancerous ways, I think he even wore a letter at times, for a team that performed a lot better than our locker room full of character guys.

Not so sure the problem was him as much as some of the locker room leaders that never took him in. Marchands comments coming into the next year - about cliques - was pretty telling.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Do you want to pay him the kind of $$$ he got?

Im hardly a fan of Jimmy Hayes but I think I'd rather have him at his deal than pay Smith 5 per a year. Reilly Smith to me is still just a soft streaky 40-45 point a year guy. Decent player and talent no thanks at 5 mil per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad