Management Don Sweeney II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wanting to wait for the prospects is logical.

Liking the Backes signing is logical.

Thinking both of those things makes no sense to me.

This sums up my belief since July 1. If the plan is to contend using dmen who have yet to play in the NHL, fine. I'm totally fine with that. But it makes the Backes signing illogical. And it makes vets like Krjeci and Chara expendable.

It's all about the window. What's the window? Because it isn't the next 2-3 years with a defense that looks anything like today's defense. This defense sucks. And none of our future D studs will be major contributors in that window. So what's the window?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't know - but IMO having Backes is a great thing for the kids as they break into the league. Couldn't ask for a better mentor and he is both willing and able to slide around the lineup as the team needs.

Can see *****ing about the money or the term, but saying he's somehow bad for the development of their young players is coo coo bananas.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't know - but IMO having Backes is a great thing for the kids as they break into the league. Couldn't ask for a better mentor and he is both willing and able to slide around the lineup as the team needs.

Can see *****ing about the money or the term, but saying he's somehow bad for the development of their young players is coo coo bananas.

I missed those posts. Who said that?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This sums up my belief since July 1. If the plan is to contend using dmen who have yet to play in the NHL, fine. I'm totally fine with that. But it makes the Backes signing illogical. And it makes vets like Krjeci and Chara expendable.

It's all about the window. What's the window? Because it isn't the next 2-3 years with a defense that looks anything like today's defense. This defense sucks. And none of our future D studs will be major contributors in that window. So what's the window?

The window closed when they were eliminated by the Canadiens after winning the President's Trophy.

This is hockey purgatory.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think Sweeney gets a bad rap and the mistakes he's made so far are indicative of a guy who has never been "the guy" for managing a team yet and was having to make some trades that weren't ideal in the wake of Chiarelli leaving. The guy's lasting legacy here as far as trades and his ability to evaluate players was 2 2nd's for Brett ****ing Connolly, after trading Boychuk for 2 fseconds

Would you all feel better if we had boychuk going into the season for 6 million and one of miller or McQuaid not with the team? I bet you would.

But, Sweeney, while no miracle worker and certainly learning on the fly a very difficult job, makes the trades and signs the guys he at each moment feels is the right plan.

Hamilton didn't want to be here and was ready to put the Bruins in a very tight spot via an offersheet, they were still in cap hell at the time.

Could he have gambled and signed hamilton to a matched offersheet? I think he made the best decision he could at the time, tough to sacrifice cap structure for a guy who's unhappy here and quite honestly kind of a *****

Lucic was starting to drag his feet and wouldn't be worth what he was looking for, though he actually was probably the only one we traded that still could help the team if he was here, but we needed to move on and there was talk a few players were unhappy with his effort (bergy and marchand)

I don't lament the loss of smith at all, I recognize smith is a better player than hayes but smith also was a guy that didn't like it here and was unhappy with linemates. He wouldn't have given us the performance he gave florida. Hayes was coming off a 19 goal season and there was no reason to suspect he wouldn't at least give us that out put with a better center. He underperformed but I don't fault sweeney for moving a guy that wasn't part of the solution along with a nagging cap hit of 4 mil in savard

The futures for Liles and Stemp are hard to swallow, but again hard to fault sweeney here and you gotta feel for him. The Bruins were 1st in the Atlantic when that trade was made and sweeney and neely were feeling playoff pressure. Not really their fault the guys didn't pull it off, they needed to only win ONE more game....

His drafting, on the other hand, something that is totally his to own and not partly tied to players just actually doing their job not Chiarelli's mess, is where he has really shined and why I hope he's given the rope and time needed to truly improve this club. He's made some puzzling selections but then these players go on to break out so how can you really question it? Barzal for all we know could totally bust, as will a handful of our guys, but I've personally never seen a better group of prospects in the Bruins system in my only about 20 or so years as a fan. So there's something to look forward to.

How sweeney will handle bringing these guys along while still not wasting the years of bergeron krejci and marchand and Rask for that matter will be interesting to see.

I think Colin miller takes another step, Krug gets his shot back after recovering from his wrist or hand injury whatever he had, the d plays steady, rask rebounds, and they get the monkey off their back and make it this year as a wild card team. The plan this year should be to forecheck like demons, play the hungry young guys that have an edge, and slip into the playoffs for some noise. If Sweeney can help get these guys into the post season he's bought himself at least another year or two and then the fun really begins...if watching you hockey team grow before it ever wins another cup is your thing anyways

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I can't help it if you like paying top dollar for sub par hockey. That's on you my man...:laugh:

Part of me wants Sweeney fired so I can go all negative and demanding and rap all over the new GM. Demand he get top pairing players and have lot of draft picks

Missing the playoffs is good for me - no playoff money no ticket increases and I always have demand for my seats

Good effort though - 'my man' doesn't work on 'the man':naughty:;)

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
No one said that either.

Well what the hell did they say?

frabz-oh-hell-no-you-did-not-say-that-fa45e2.jpg

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Since 2013 this organization has traded

Seguin
Boychuk
Lucic
Dougie Hamilton

Current NHLers from those trades (assets)

Jimmy Hayes

Hmmm. I wonder why the Bruins have fallen to also ran status.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Since 2013 this organization has traded

Seguin
Boychuk
Lucic
Dougie Hamilton

Current NHLers from those trades (assets)

Jimmy Hayes

Hmmm. I wonder why the Bruins have fallen to also ran status.

Pretty bad when you put it that way, BUT, Lucic and Hamilton were essentially traded for FUTURES, so the jury is out until we find out what those futures hold.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Pretty bad when you put it that way, BUT, Lucic and Hamilton were essentially traded for FUTURES, so the jury is out until we find out what those futures hold.

I agree, and they could very well have struck gold but that does nothing for the Bruins right now.

I guess we can talk about players that were signed with the abandoned money?

Seguin-Backes
Boychuk ?
Lucic-Beleskey
Hamilton-Krug

Boychuk was dealt for Carlo and Lindgen
Lucic for Zboril, Frederic, Colin Miller and Kuraly
Hamilton for Senyshyn,JFK, Lauzon

Not a bad haul, futures wise.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I agree, and they could very well have struck gold but that does nothing for the Bruins right now.

I guess we can talk about players that were signed with the abandoned money?

Seguin-Backes
Boychuk ?
Lucic-Beleskey
Hamilton-Krug

Now there's a positive spin! I like it! You're right though, we did get SOMETHING. We have cap space and a re-stocked prospect pool.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Expectations are unrealistically high on DS right now. We want to see this team go after cups, and realistically this is year 2 of a 5 year rebuild, and we squandered assets at the deadline 2 years in a row.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My advice is anyone who is so impatient to allow Don Sweeney's first class to reach legal drinking age should never be allowed to make any decision in business beyond is it time to bring out more of those
red coffee stirrers.

This applies only to adults anyone with this thought process under 18 gets a pass because your brain isn't fully developed

We went over yesterday and checked out the new Bruins facility and then went across the street to Stock Yard to eat (they are already catering the Bruins) and by we I mean my season ticket buddies and related hockey friends and we laughed as the beers piled up at the HF GM wannabes who want to fire Sweeney.

We will all be checking this thread over the next few days so being it on so we can at least text back and forth and make fun of you

I've had a bad week in the sin bin if you know what I mean so I need to be good at least here

Let's here the crying

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
My advice is anyone who is so impatient to allow Don Sweeney's first class to reach legal drinking age should never be allowed to make any decision in business beyond is it time to bring out more of those
red coffee stirrers.

This applies only to adults anyone with this thought process under 18 gets a pass because your brain isn't fully developed

We went over yesterday and checked out the new Bruins facility and then went across the street to Stock Yard to eat (they are already catering the Bruins) and by we I mean my season ticket buddies and related hockey friends and we laughed as the beers piled up at the HF GM wannabes who want to fire Sweeney.

We will all be checking this thread over the next few days so being it on so we can at least text back and forth and make fun of you

I've had a bad week in the sin bin if you know what I mean so I need to be good at least here

Let's here the crying

Sweeney has until the deadline to make a good decision and get a win. If they have no identity and are a bubble team again he has to pick the right direction and rebuild fully. This building on the fly is what gets teams stuck in purgatory for a long time.

I want to believe he is doing a good job, but right now I feel like he is treading water. If he hits on the draft picks then he is Moses parting water, if not he sinks himself and the Bruins for a long time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The window closed when they were eliminated by the Canadiens after winning the President's Trophy.

This is hockey purgatory.

Most likely. I do wonder though if the cap fixes could have been done differently. If Lucic had to go and you know you are going to trade Hamilton, could they have done a better job of getting a young affordable NHL D for Lucic? I realize they got Miller, but I'm thinking someone more proven.

Yes they got a ton of picks in those 2 deals and it totally rebuilt the prospect depth, but it did put them in this holding pattern, which means that Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Backes and maybe even Marchand and Rask won't be around to see the prime era of these prospects.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't lament the loss of smith at all, I recognize smith is a better player than hayes but smith also was a guy that didn't like it here and was unhappy with linemates. He wouldn't have given us the performance he gave florida.

Seems like a common theme over the last few years that guys put in performances elsewhere that they wouldn't give here. If it is a common theme is that on the players or the organization/coach?

Btw, I don't agree with this sentiment that those guys couldn't work here, so I'm not blaming the coach, but if you are going to make the claim that they wouldn't do it here, then you have to think about the logical conclusion of that.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Most likely. I do wonder though if the cap fixes could have been done differently. If Lucic had to go and you know you are going to trade Hamilton, could they have done a better job of getting a young affordable NHL D for Lucic? I realize they got Miller, but I'm thinking someone more proven.

I think the plan was to use those picks for Noah Hanifin. Sweeney seemed to believe that he had that deal in place. That wouldn't have been someone more proven but Hannifin would have had a HUGE impact on this defense last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad