Grade Sweeney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The season looks to be slipping away and Sweeney is still evaluating. This team is in need of a serious jolt and soon.
Yep that's what this team needs now more panic trades. It's a sellers market and Donny at the moment will get bent over if he makes a deal with the team struggling. We have to ride this out or get a cheap vet like vanek and hope he cures our scoring. Panarin schenn or saad will cost the moon forget it.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Yep that's what this team needs now more panic trades. It's a sellers market and Donny at the moment will get bent over if he makes a deal with the team struggling. We have to ride this out or get a cheap vet like vanek and hope he cures our scoring. Panarin schenn or saad will cost the moon forget it.

Good trades can be made, it just takes a good GM to get it done.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Good trades can be made, it just takes a good GM to get it done.
The problem is quite transparent . Donny didn't draft the elite scoring forwards in 2015 and now it's glaring its ugly head at the highest point now. Jfk federic danton Bjork are 3rd line players . Signings also no scoring elite players were brought in. Could have had jvr but signed backes. The lack of power upfront is costing us games huge.

Reactions: Trizz617 and TCB

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I love the notion of picking up a guy like Vanek. Could help WAY more than it could hurt.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I feel like you firmly believe our entire core is going to play well into their 40s.

Reactions: Mathews28

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Just remember: the more desperate a team gets, the more willing potential trading partners are to help out and give you a better deal. I think I understand that right.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

That boy knows when to make a line Change:laugh:
Two nights in a row.

The Jacobs should make up a highlight reel of Connors, Barzal, Konecy, Boeser,, Aho, Chabot and Christian Fischer and send it to Sweeney and have it end with...
giphy.gif

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
It is only the GM’s ability to re-sign his star players to very good $$ team deals which keeps the vote a C.

In just about every other facet of the role, Sweeney has frustratingly wavered between not good to flat out terrible.

Reactions: TCB

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Still a big Sweeney fan. Not sure any GM could predict every single one of our kid forwards and McAvoy would regress like this. At this point only Carlo and Grizz are trending up and that’s very disturbing. I would imagine he will lay his cards on the table very very soon

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Still a big Sweeney fan. Not sure any GM could predict every single one of our kid forwards and McAvoy would regress like this. At this point only Carlo and Grizz are trending up and that’s very disturbing. I would imagine he will lay his cards on the table very very soon

maybe the kids wouldn't have been asked to shoulder as much of the load if he could make a trade without getting bent over, or not kill the cap with bad FA signings

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He couldn't predict that every single young guy would regress, it is a worst case scenario. However, it was naive to think these players would all improve like the year before. He needed to get one veteran forward because the likely-hood that some of these young players would have a sophomore slump was pretty high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hali33

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Bruins sold us on youth which was a great reason to avoid spending now that philosophy is failing bc they lack NHL talent. Time to parlay this youth into some legit NHL talent

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He couldn't predict that every single young guy would regress, it is a worst case scenario. However, it was naive to think these players would all improve like the year before. He needed to get one veteran forward because the likely-hood that that some of these young players would have a sophomore slump was pretty high.

Also, how many playoff teams are built around secondary prospects in over their head? The fingers crossed method might have worked with one or two but expecting Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik, Cave, JFK, Frederic, etc to all play perfect games was a little too ambitious from the start.

Going into the season with Kuraly, JFK, and Frederic as the 3rd line center options was scary all along. We all knew this.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So if it's failing, how do you expect to get anything good for them?

Sadly Sweeenys chip pile is very small where hell have to use a 1st plus his vaunted prospects to get anything good. If a horse is losing consistently you can't keep betting on that losing horse

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He couldn't predict that every single young guy would regress, it is a worst case scenario. However, it was naive to think these players would all improve like the year before. He needed to get one veteran forward because the likely-hood that that some of these young players would have a sophomore slump was pretty high.

Well in his defense they haven't all regressed. Carlo has taken a step forward, Gryz this year is better than last year.

Heinen is what he basically what he was last year outside of a stretch in Dec/Jan where him and his line caught lightning in a bottle.

Debrusk's goal numbers are actually up from last year, but his assist numbers are WAY down. Part of that is him, part of that is his line-mates.

I'll even throw Kuraly in there and he's basically what he was last year.

If were talking regression it's McAvoy. He hasn't been good. Injuries are part of that.

I can't include Bjork or Donato as regression as neither were really established coming into the season. So for them it's not regression but more of they didn't take the step forward that I think management and many fans thought they could based on their small samples from the previous year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think that Sweeney should get a pass for not seeing that all his young guys would regress. The term 'sophomore slump' was coined because it's so common.

If I'm going to give him a pass for anything it's having so many injuries early on.

I think the things that have gone wrong with this team should have been (and probably were) expected to a degree. I also think Sweeney got a lot of things right this year. Moore, Halak, Wagner, even Nordstrom have all been really good additions (even though Cassidy leans on Nordstrom WAY too much).

I think Sweeney is trying to balance patience with the the standings and how they're trending. If he could, he'd wait until the deadline when he has the most cap space and the sellers are up against a wall. I think being 3rd in the division allows him to be patient, but he's also probably feeling that luxury slipping away with each point left on the board.

I also think the veteran players are getting frustrated, for good reason. They play their bags off most nights and have to wait and wait and wait for help to arrive.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Donny has done a solid job in drafting especially revamping our d core it's the forwards where he is weak . His free agent signings are whats really doing him in right now. Backes is the albatross in the room 6 million for what?? Imagine where we could have put that 6 million . 6 million should at least get you 25 goals.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think that Sweeney should get a pass for not seeing that all his young guys would regress. The term 'sophomore slump' was coined because it's so common.

If I'm going to give him a pass for anything it's having so many injuries early on.

I think the things that have gone wrong with this team should have been (and probably were) expected to a degree. I also think Sweeney got a lot of things right this year. Moore, Halak, Wagner, even Nordstrom have all been really good additions (even though Cassidy leans on Nordstrom WAY too much).

I think Sweeney is trying to balance patience with the the standings and how they're trending. If he could, he'd wait until the deadline when he has the most cap space and the sellers are up against a wall. I think being 3rd in the division allows him to be patient, but he's also probably feeling that luxury slipping away with each point left on the board.

I also think the veteran players are getting frustrated, for good reason. They play their bags off most nights and have to wait and wait and wait for help to arrive.

Saying that all of his young guys have regressed really isn't true IMO.

If we were going to use a more blanket statement, I would say that most of his young guys didn't take the step forward that management were hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad