Grade Sweeney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Anyway, more important is that he doesn't trade away a first-rounder for rental again. Rangers fans were laughing at us taking Nash for a playoff run because he was known to them as not being a playoff guy. Pro scouting is hard, I guess.
But they have a hole in the top 6 and if a first round pick is the price to fill that hole, do you pay it?

Can you justify standing pat with this group?

That will be the true test.

We also don’t know what the expectations are above Sweeney’s pay grade.

Is ownership willing to stomach a one and done if that’s how things go down in the playoffs and you did little to improve a flawed roster?

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
But they have a hole in the top 6 and if a first round pick is the price to fill that hole, do you pay it?

Can you justify standing pat with this group?

That will be the true test.

We also don’t know what the expectations are above Sweeney’s pay grade.

Is ownership willing to stomach a one and done if that’s how things go down in the playoffs and you did little to improve a flawed roster?

I think reality is, there is no trade that will make the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this year. They are a playoff team . Trading your first round pick will not make them a Stanley Cup favorite

Reactions: BigBadBruin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think reality is, there is no trade that will make the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this year. They are a playoff team . Trading your first round pick will not make them a Stanley Cup favorite

Panarin or Stone don't make the bruins contenders? They have the following which makes them true contenders:
1. Perhaps best goalie tandem in the league
2. Best first line in the league
3. Venture to say best D in the league

Why wouldn't Don consider swinging for the fences?

Reactions: Silva

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bruins 4th most games played from the 2015 draft class. One of only 3 teams with 5 different players from that draft who have played an NHL game.

I hope they blow every draft like that.

Or 3 top15 picks in what's seen as the best draft since 2003 and leave with 0 franhise players.

I really hope he can work some miracles in 2019, teams in a tough spot right now.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This team can beat Toronto as is. Not sure about wash or tb
Agree that the team can beat Toronto as is, but by the same token Toronto can beat the Bruins. Assuming no major injuries on either team Toronto will be stronger this year than last year come playoff time. Also, I don't doubt for a second that Toronto will be looking to make a move to add to its D at some point before the deadline. No chance the Bs as is beat TB or Washington in a 7 game series.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Panarin or Stone don't make the bruins contenders? They have the following which makes them true contenders:
1. Perhaps best goalie tandem in the league
2. Best first line in the league
3. Venture to say best D in the league

Why wouldn't Don consider swinging for the fences?

Because when you swing for the fences you usually don't hit a homerun.
Sweeney is not Donny the Dealer.
Until he wins a few trades, I would prefer him to stay the course and develop this team with young talent.

Reactions: BigBear83

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Agree. I think on paper we aren't far off those two but to me the 'intangibles' gap with both is enormous.

That kid line will be unplayable vs those two even if we can get past Toronto with them. We might as well sign Stempniak just for the playoffs to step in for Heinen/JFK/Donato because I can't see any of those 3 playing well vs Washington or Tampa.

But who knows if the path to the SCF goes through either.

Tampa could lose to Pitt first round. Won't see Washington until the ECFs and are they going to perform in the playoffs 2 years straight after a decade of underachievement? If we make it to the ECFs I bet we play someone other than the Caps.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
And a couple of those players are already pretty studly and filled team needs. Another thing to consider is that you can't have every player have the same development arc. There are a limited number of spots on a team with established stars. There is also a salary cap. If everyone becomes a stud at the same time you have to pay them at the same time when they are ready for a big jump in salary. Throw in the fact that not every player will get a chance to be star since they won't even have a spot on the team if the team has already met that need. It would be great if the Bs had drafted a scoring winger and early bloomer. They did, however, draft players who have filled other needs and will be productive for years to come. Would like to know which teams fill all their holes in one draft. Sweeney has a great stable of talented young players to offer up for a scoring winger. Not too many teams have the quantity of talent the Bs have in its system.

And why so many picks were made. To use some for trades.

Reactions: missingchicklet

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Until he wins a few trades, I would prefer him to stay the course and develop this team with young talent.

The twist to this is that he can't win a few trades unless/until he makes a few trades. And like you I don't trust him to make a trade based on his track record. As I've said before we've gone from a GM who could trade but not draft to a GM who can draft but can't trade. It's very frustrating.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The twist to this is that he can't win a few trades unless/until he makes a few trades. And like you I don't trust him to make a trade based on his track record. As I've said before we've gone from a GM who could trade but not draft to a GM who can draft but can't trade. It's very frustrating.
He is better at drafting than trading that does not make him good at drafting just not as bad as trading. I still like the Nash trade.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I agree the Bruins right now would be the Leafs in 7 game series.

I do however think Toronto will swing big at the trade deadline due to upcoming cap constraints this coming off season. This year may be their best chance at a run.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Something needs to happen because if it doesn’t we are wasting another year of bergy in his prime. Krejci is even playing very well this year. Need to get him a RW. Hopefully we can move a 2nd and a prospect like cehlarik for a RW.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Anyway, more important is that he doesn't trade away a first-rounder for rental again. Rangers fans were laughing at us taking Nash for a playoff run because he was known to them as not being a playoff guy. Pro scouting is hard, I guess.

i'd say he took his swing with that nash deal, and would be surprised to see that again. he's on record talking about
how brutal it was to sit in dallas without a 1st rounder, so my guess is you'll see other assets (current prospects)
going out the door this time around. which makes sense, since they don't have room for all these guys, so clear
out the queue. also, there looks to be a lot of nice centers available in round 1 this june, so good spot for them
to reload at that position. skill centers and skilled right-shot RWs are the area of need.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

.Get them a top 6 winger and it gives them 2 scoring lines.They can beat anyone then.Timely saves lookout.Not sure what cost will be but they need to find the scoring winger.

Reactions: FanSince72

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
.Get them a top 6 winger and it gives them 2 scoring lines.They can beat anyone then.Timely saves lookout.Not sure what cost will be but they need to find the scoring winger.
And the addition of a scoring winger cuts this crap of cycling players around in the lineup, which in turn allows for chemistry building. Not sure how some of the newer and/or lesser talent on the team can be expected to perform well when they are not allowed the time to build chemistry, as well as the fact guys are playing on lines above their talent level. Nordstrom and Wagner are 4th line talent on a Cup contender, yet they have been played in the middle six consistently this season. Yeah, good luck trying to get skill guys going offensively with 4th liners frequently on their lines. But hey, Kuraly and Acciari are apparently having stellar years and are invaluable to the team, so they keep getting games while Wagner and Nordstrom are being played in spots where a skill guy like Cehlarik, who has showed he can be a playmaker at the NHL level, should AT MINIMUM be getting a reasonable look. Makes no sense to keep rearranging the same low-skill players in the lineup and expecting different results. Try something different! It cannot hurt anything. It's dumb as a sack of hell what's going on with the personnel choices. That's if the Bs want to win a Cup. Maybe they have written this year off and are happy with making the playoffs and winning a round, or two depending on matchup, because that's where they are headed even if everyone comes back and stays healthy.

Also have to factor in the depth created when adding a scoring winger. This team will be absolute toast if one of the current scorers goes down with injury. There is nobody beyond the usual several players who has shown they can step up and consistently score goals.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Half a season is more than enough time see the existing young forward group isn't cutting it - time to switch it up with some deserving p bruin forwards. If that fails make a trade.

I do like what I'm seeing from Cave.

Reactions: FanSince72

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

So I’m not really stating a hard opposition to not swinging for the fences this year, but how exactly is he going to win trades if you identify him “not winning” trades as a reason he shouldn’t make a trade?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I think it’s ballsy to imply Chiarelli was good at trading.

There’s a couple decent ones at the beginning, but there’s more bad than good there.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I know everyon has had it with this team. Most asking for a trade. I myself wouldn’t mind a trade to shake things up. My only thought is they aren’t a guy away. This team isn’t playing right. They’re not in sync due to injuries.
I don’t trust the powers that be to asses pro players. I’m weary of a trade even though I agree they need one at least. They’re buying high.

I know it was Charas first game back but, he ruins break outs all the time. Always flipping it out. The puck always goes to the opposing team when he’s in the D zone. As good as he is, they lose the first pass when he has the puck. Big decision next year. I know what I would do.

You don’t need to win a trade. You can make a trade and both teams benefit.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
They are really only one person away from being contenders, that person is Sweeney, get rid of Donny and bring in a real GM who isn't afraid to make changes.

I understand why he is afraid, the 2015 first round by itself should have been enough to indicate he isn't ready to be a GM in the NHL. He scouts well so maybe put him as head of college scouting/North America scouting but get him out of the GM's job before this team continues to free fall with a list of very suspect prospects and an aging core.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They are really only one person away from being contenders, that person is Sweeney, get rid of Donny and bring in a real GM who isn't afraid to make changes.

I understand why he is afraid, the 2015 first round by itself should have been enough to indicate he isn't ready to be a GM in the NHL. He scouts well so maybe put him as head of college scouting/North America scouting but get him out of the GM's job before this team continues to free fall with a list of very suspect prospects and an aging core.

Let's revolutionize the concept of a GM...by having 2 GMs (not being facetious)

1. Sweeney - responsibilities include all scouting, drafting, amateur acquisitions
2. *insert 2nd GM* - responsibilities include all NHL level FA signings and trades

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Have to get Charlie out of hockey operations. Hes the puppet master and Sweeney and Neely are the yes men. The Bruins are currently being held hostage by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad