Management Don Sweeney - Free Agent recap zoom ( 7/28/21 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
Have we mentioned how we are doomed without signing Krejci yet? Haven't really seen any talk around that situation.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
No he isn't.

Forbort has 350 NHL games under his belt.

Hakanpaa was an overaged rookie.

Come contract time that matters. Even if stylistically there are similarities. Both are great shot blockers. After Adam Larsson, Hakanpaa had the highest total of hits + blocks in the entire NHL last year among D-men.

And for what it's worth, I like Hakanpaa and would of liked him in Boston on that deal. But even if they were interested, I would daresay he didn't see the type of opportunity for him in Boston with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side (and Clifton) that he sees in Dallas with Klingberg and then a pile of left-shot D-men. I'm not sure Hakanpaa is an everyday player here, and he will be in Dallas (he's probably their 5th best D-man).

Yes, they should never sign a standout Sophmore or rookie if they can pay more for a bit more experience. I just dont see that logic. Hakanpaa was one of the best shot blockers, playing LESS minutes than Forbort on a better team. If you asked anyone other than rose colored glass bruins fans they take Hakanpaa 100% over Forbort at that salary.

Except that I think he literally said he liked the player and the contract and explained why the player may have chose a team other then the B's even if we matched the offer. So while it's a strong point that sometimes you you sign sophomores if they provide value, noone was arguing that.

Wrong, he said they were not comparable players and they are. I didnt say WHY we couldnt sign him instead. I said we overpaid for what we got. Its that simple.

Read through it again.

"And for what it's worth, I like Hakanpaa and would of liked him in Boston on that deal. But even if they were interested, I would daresay he didn't see the type of opportunity for him in Boston with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side (and Clifton) that he sees in Dallas with Klingberg and then a pile of left-shot D-men. I'm not sure Hakanpaa is an everyday player here, and he will be in Dallas (he's probably their 5th best D-man)."

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Read through it again.

"And for what it's worth, I like Hakanpaa and would of liked him in Boston on that deal. But even if they were interested, I would daresay he didn't see the type of opportunity for him in Boston with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side (and Clifton) that he sees in Dallas with Klingberg and then a pile of left-shot D-men. I'm not sure Hakanpaa is an everyday player here, and he will be in Dallas (he's probably their 5th best D-man)."
They are comparable full stop. Hakanpaa was better actually better, full stop. Now changing the goal posts as he wouldnt sign here anyways because of defensive sides was never the original post I made. I originally said they are comparable players and we overpaid, and I got a NO response.

The only reason I got was, he has 100 or so games more experience, which I replied its a flimsy argument.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
They are comparable full stop. Hakanpaa was better actually better, full stop. Now changing the goal posts as he wouldnt sign here anyways because of defensive sides was never the original post I made. I originally said they are comparable players and we overpaid, and I got a NO response.

The only reason I got was, he has 100 or so games more experience, which I replied its a flimsy argument.
That's why I didn't respond to your original post but the one that sidtorted another poster's arguments altogether. BTW not saying I agree with your original premise, just saying it is hard to follow your discussion with BD when you have completely manipulated what he is saying to fit an agenda. I'll keep reading and hopefully it was just an oversight and not willful ignorance.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Been beat in the SCF two years in a row with different teams. If TB goes to the SCF, will this be the first time a player has played in a SCF three years in row with 3 different teams? BTW, not a bad pick up by TB for a 4th line player who brings it in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see how much money they are giving him.
Marian Hossa - Pitt-Detroit-Chicago

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
That's why I didn't respond to your original post but the one that sidtorted another poster's arguments altogether. BTW not saying I agree with your original premise, just saying it is hard to follow your discussion with BD when you have completely manipulated what he is saying to fit an agenda. I'll keep reading and hopefully it was just an oversight and not willful ignorance.

If you dont understand the discussion then why comment? This has nothing to do about left or right side needs, which was his other comment and thats in regards to him wanting to play here or not, but that was never the original point I was making. . This is purely comparing the two players and contract. We overpaid for similar type of player. That is all.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
If you dont understand the discussion then why comment? This has nothing to do about left or right side needs, which was his other comment and thats in regards to him wanting to play here or not, but that was never the original point I was making. . This is purely comparing the two players and contract. We overpaid for similar type of player. That is all.
Once again I think you are taking what he said out of context. If that is incorrect, that I have misunderstood the conversation. I will simply stop following your discussions, until my opinion of your technique changes. It's too bad, I like listening to the detractors as much as the prognosticators. I think BD plays both sides of that pretty well decision to decision based on a wider base of knowledge. I'm fine not knowing everything, but I won't learn anything from conversations like these.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Once again I think you are taking what he said out of context. If that is incorrect, that I have misunderstood the conversation. I will simply stop following your discussions, until my opinion of your technique changes. It's too bad, I like listening to the detractors as much as the prognosticators. I think BD plays both sides of that pretty well decision to decision based on a wider base of knowledge. I'm fine not knowing everything, but I won't learn anything from conversations like these.
yeah please put me on ignore, you are annoyingly wrong and wont admit it

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
here is hoping tuuka rask does not sign with the Dallas Stars. big Finish contingent on that team, he may want to
join them. Jim Nill has nothing to loose by putting an offer on the table for him. If Tuuka decides to leave boston
i could see him going to DALLAS.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How would they even be able to sighn Rask with the Cap ,maybe cheap 1 year to finish the season?

They will likely be banking cap space throughout the season, and so if they signed in Feb. or March it would be a prorated contract which presumably the accrued cap space would cover. The deal *could* be multi-year and they worried about the next year after the season.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
here is hoping tuuka rask does not sign with the Dallas Stars. big Finish contingent on that team, he may want to
join them. Jim Nill has nothing to loose by putting an offer on the table for him. If Tuuka decides to leave boston
i could see him going to DALLAS.

Dallas has several NHL goaltenders (Holtby, Khudobin, Bishop-INJ, Oettinger) already.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
We will have the money to resign MacAvoy next year but what about a number one or two center? Don left no room or expiring contracts for this.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It's not 100 or so, more closer to 300. (349 to 73)

I'm not sure why it's hard to comprehend that an experienced player would have more bargaining power than inexperienced one, even if they are comparable on-ice. Would an experienced employee anywhere have that same bargaining power over an inexperienced employee? Probably not.

Business is business. Experience adds value, means employers pay more for it, all other things being equal. This is no different.

They aren't comparable players from a negotiating standpoint. Not even close.

Now if you wanted to say, the Bruins would be better off with Hakanpaa at 1.5 than Forbort at 3.0, that is a valid argument. But that to me is different than saying the Bruins overpaid. They paid the market rate for a player of Forbort's caliber AND experience.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I think Tuukka is done in BOS. Too much $ and term for the new guy who is actually a damn good tender. We have a very good G pair for 6M which is a great base. I don't see this as a downgrade at all..

I am guessing Krejci comes back around late Feb after time away with the family for a short term kick at the can. Until then they need depth like they bought to avoid Bergie playing 20 mins a night - he won't make 82 + Playoffs physically IMO. $1M base and $2M bonus stuff.

Deadline they deal DeBrusk and a 1st for that elusive top 3 D depth and go for it. Cap will be an issue but there may be ways to wiggle.

They are going to unleash Mac this year with Forbort as his safteynet and Gryz as PP partner. Forbort could actually complement both Mac and Cliffy well as the safe partner and let them roam. Reilly with Carlo IMO.

In all, they have a good - not great - team and are definitely in the hunt to make a NYI like run this year. I just don't know how Hall is going to play with the new guys as none of them has the patience with the puck like Krech. He will likely have to shoot a lot more as opposed to being the entry guy. Either that or they need Pasta on his line and put Smith with March and Bergie to give Hall a pass / shoot option. That could be pretty deadly IMO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought the Krejci section sounded way more optimistic than some are making it out to be.

David may not want to play a full 82. I could see him wanting to play 40 and playoffs.

Are they making the playoffs if he plays 40?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Are they making the playoffs if he plays 40?
I can’t find it anywhere. I googled it. Went to the Twitter hardo’s, asked the Fed Ex guy who delivered the next street over package incorrectly to my house.

nothing

Do you know what place Tampa came in during regular season hust completed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad