Management Don Sweeney - Free Agent recap zoom ( 7/28/21 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Tyler Lewington 6'2 RHD. Type name on youtube... string of highlights involving fights lol. Hopefully can learn to be more discipline/walk the line

SCOUTING REPORT
Is a very physical, old-school defender who is adept at clearing out traffic in front of the net. Has become rather reliable at the minor-league level. Takes too many bad penalties that hurt his team. Must continue to evolve as a defenseman, since his style is no longer what NHL teams want from a blueliner.
Long Range Potential:Physical, depth defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He should get what he deserves. He doesn't owe anyone anything and if the market dictates he deserves X then that's what it is. If he wants to take a small hit to help out the team that's great and he's a better person than me but no way should that be expected of him.

Well the market is how much he would make back home vs how much in Boston, isn’t it?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This whole “by committee” is a euphemism for “We don’t have a 2nd line center on the roster as presently constituted.”.

It’s frankly insulting, given the urgency of the situation with some of the aging pieces they have in place.

You secure the most important pieces on your club first and then fill in the depth with what’s left.

They’d better have a contingency plan in place, because holding their breath and hoping Krejci returns is not a plan.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This whole “by committee” is a euphemism for “We don’t have a 2nd line center on the roster as presently constituted.”.

It’s frankly insulting, given the urgency of the situation with some of the aging pieces they have in place.

You secure the most important pieces on your club first and then fill in the depth with what’s left.

They’d better have a contingency plan in place, because holding their breath and hoping Krejci returns is not a plan.

Quoted for truth.

I know he probably wouldn't do it but I think Patrice Bergeron should be pounding on Donny's desk. #63 too. They gave the Bruins home town discounts so there'd be more money available to sign players and this is what Sweeney does with it??? Ooo boy I'd be pissed off.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So your argument is that because teams that Krejci would never play for would offer him X, that the Bruins need to pay him X?

The point you are trying to make is irrelevant to the original conversation.

OP said Krejci should stop worrying about money (with zero evidence that this is a thing) and sign for a discount. He doesn't need to sign for a discount. If the market says he would get X if he were to test out FA, then he should be paid around there regardless of if the Bruins are the only team he wants to play for.. If he wants to give a discount thats fine but if he doesn't thats not something to hold against him.

Krejci has the leverage in this situation. Bruins clearly need him more than he needs them. He seems like he'd be happy to just go retire.

That's how things work.

Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
And whatever Krejci’s process is, that’s his prerogative.

He earned his UFA status.

But that doesn’t mean that the club should be in wait and see mode, left holding the bag.

Ok, you had dialogue with the player. Was an offer on the table? Whatever the case may be, he’s not signed by Free Agency Eve, you go out and make the necessary move or moves to replace him.

It’s not Coyle and it’s not by committee. We’ve seen how that plays out on the wing. It doesn’t. You end up with a gaping hole and it enables opponents to shadow the 1st line and lock your ass down.

I can only judge based on the information we all have. Maybe there’s something happening behind the scenes, they have a deal ready with DK and another deal in place to clear the required cap space, but calling it as I see it today, no, I’m not satisfied.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think we have spent enough time with Sweeney as GM to know that we can't believe or read into anything he says into a microphone. Makes it hard to tell what is blowing smoke up our ass and what they truly believe.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
And whatever Krejci’s process is, that’s his prerogative.

He earned his UFA status.

But that doesn’t mean that the club should be in wait and see mode, left holding the bag.

Ok, you had dialogue with the player. Was an offer on the table? Whatever the case may be, he’s not signed by Free Agency Eve, you go out and make the necessary move or moves to replace him.

It’s not Coyle and it’s not by committee. We’ve seen how that plays out on the wing. It doesn’t. You end up with a gaping hole and it enables opponents to shadow the 1st line and lock your ass down.

I can only judge based on the information we all have. Maybe there’s something happening behind the scenes, they have a deal ready with DK and another deal in place to clear the required cap space, but calling it as I see it today, no, I’m not satisfied.

Definitely agree with the bolded. Krejci has earned his status etc. etc. But at the end of the day Don needs to do whats best for the team and if that means giving him an ultimatum I mean thats just business.

Krejci is either a part of the plan or he isn't. But the longer it gets dragged out the less time you have to find a replacement before rosters are "locked in".

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The point you are trying to make is irrelevant to the original conversation.

OP said Krejci should stop worrying about money (with zero evidence that this is a thing) and sign for a discount. He doesn't need to sign for a discount. If the market says he would get X if he were to test out FA, then he should be paid around there regardless of if the Bruins are the only team he wants to play for.. If he wants to give a discount thats fine but if he doesn't thats not something to hold against him.

Krejci has the leverage in this situation. Bruins clearly need him more than he needs them. He seems like he'd be happy to just go retire.

That's how things work.

If Krejci doesn't take a discount to stick around, the Bruins have alternative ways of finding someone who wants market rate.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Why any reporter didnt ask Sweeny why he didnt address the biggest need elusive D that chews up minutes? Scared to land the question? Or every one think the problem is solved with Forbort?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad