Management Don Sweeney - Free Agent recap zoom ( 7/28/21 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
There is uncertainty with DeBrusk but to think his value is next to nothing after one bad year is ridiculous and amplifies why average fans would make for horrible GM's - lack of patience and knee jerk mentality. There is the possibility of DeBrusk not performing again, hence the beefing up of the third and fourth lines as they were not good enough, especially in the postseason. But if he comes in, looks good, plays good, puts up around 20-25 goals on the third line? That's a huge boost to the team, getting that sort of production from someone on the third line.

Personally, I think he's perfect trade bait for a top 4 LHD, which is what the team needs more and I think the Bruins set themselves up for that as an option.
Left D? Umm Grzelcyk Forbort Reilly Moore Vaakaneinen Zboril say hello.

They just signed Forbort & Reilly to 3m per contracts. I don’t see them adding another quality left D

Reactions: Gee Wally

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
So you are completely disregarding the effect of the Covid season on Debrusk. OK.

Prorated last season for Debrusk translates to 10 goals this season.

We shall see if he gets closer to 10 or 20.

Huge difference between a guy getting 10-15 goals and saying that it was covid. There were a lot of players that scored more goals than DeBrusk last year. I'm sure the covid thing didn't help but you can't use that as a scape goat for his terrible season.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ya, it's a gamble. If he comes back and has a 50 point season it's a huge win. If he ends up with 5 goals and 10 assists and a poor +/- he won't be worth a half a bag of pucks.
True. What’s DeBrusk worth today? A 3rd? If he sucks this season, what’s he worth at the trade deadline? A 3rd/ 4th? Hanging onto him is the smart play here. Unless of course they suddenly find themselves needing to free up cap space

Reactions: Gordoff

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Ya, it's a gamble. If he comes back and has a 50 point season it's a huge win. If he ends up with 5 goals and 10 assists and a poor +/- he won't be worth a half a bag of pucks.

If he pulls a 50 point season out of his ass I'll be pleasantly surprised.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Just wondering because I can be obtuse, how did they set themselves up for getting a 4LHD? And why a 4LHD? I mean if that's what they want there are multiple options in house so I'm lost here.

What I'm looking at is mainly DeBrusk's contract, which should fall in line with what a top 4 LHD would make ( Ekholm currently ).

I think the way the D is constructed, Grz is the odd duck. We'll have to move Forbort around to compensate for the lack of Grz's size in certain situations and while that could work, I'd prefer a guy who, combined with McAvoy, you can count on in all 5v5 situations and keep Forbort down in the bottom pairing.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Or Sweeney isn’t shopping him. Hopefully he isn’t.
My opinion on Jake is pretty well known, not a fan of a guy who can bring so much more than we`ve seen. Not that he`s a 40 goal guy but this is a guy who has played close to 250 games, not a kid anymore, that effort on a consistent basis should be there by now

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Or Sweeney isn’t shopping him. Hopefully he isn’t.
Some here have mentioned that the Bruins have tried shopping him a couple times. Latest being at the TDL. No takers. So yeah, when a real estate agent sees a house on the market for too long they realize to take it off the market because it's "stale." Well, IMO Jake is "stale" on the market and the return is now in the shitter. It's too bad.

Reactions: Bodit9

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
What I'm looking at is mainly DeBrusk's contract, which should fall in line with what a top 4 LHD would make ( Ekholm currently ).

I think the way the D is constructed, Grz is the odd duck. We'll have to move Forbort around to compensate for the lack of Grz's size in certain situations and while that could work, I'd prefer a guy who, combined with McAvoy, you can count on in all 5v5 situations and keep Forbort down in the bottom pairing.
Okay, I follow now. Thanks!
:thumbu:

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
JDB wasn't the only Bruin forward who underperformed last year. Charlie Coyle was a stiff. It was actually a relief when his injury was announced. The success of the Bruins probably hinges more on these two guys than on any other players.

If Coyle comes back to 100% and plays like he did in the 2019 postseason and JDB comes in with his hair on fire, then it opens up A LOT of utilization options. Common sense leads one to believe that Charlie would center the 2nd line...and Hall is a sure fire bet for that wing. But does Smith stay at 2RW? If he does, then a third line of JDB - Haul - Foligno looks solid (speed to burn with JDB and Haula, big body of Foligno). my only issue there is 3 left shot forwards on the same line.

Or do they convert Coyle to a RW and bump Smith to the 3RW?

Which option do you prefer?

Perfection
Hall - Coyle - Smith
JDB - Haula - Foligno
Nosek - Freddy - Lazar

Perfection
Hall - Haula- Coyle
JDB - Foligno - Smith
Nosek - Freddy - Lazar

Or another possible option?

Reactions: BadBruins

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Huge difference between a guy getting 10-15 goals and saying that it was covid. There were a lot of players that scored more goals than DeBrusk last year. I'm sure the covid thing didn't help but you can't use that as a scape goat for his terrible season.

But we know for a fact that Debrusk was affected adversely in a big way by covid. Thinking his game fell off a cliff as a natural progression in his career is clearly unfair.

Like I said, we shall what Jake does this year.

Reactions: nORRis8

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
JDB wasn't the only Bruin forward who underperformed last year. Charlie Coyle was a stiff. It was actually a relief when his injury was announced. The success of the Bruins probably hinges more on these two guys than on any other players.

If Coyle comes back to 100% and plays like he did in the 2019 postseason and JDB comes in with his hair on fire, then it opens up A LOT of utilization options. Common sense leads one to believe that Charlie would center the 2nd line...and Hall is a sure fire bet for that wing. But does Smith stay at 2RW? If he does, then a third line of JDB - Haul - Foligno looks solid (speed to burn with JDB and Haula, big body of Foligno). my only issue there is 3 left shot forwards on the same line.

Or do they convert Coyle to a RW and bump Smith to the 3RW?

Which option do you prefer?

Perfection
Hall - Coyle - Smith
JDB - Haula - Foligno
Nosek - Freddy - Lazar

Perfection
Hall - Haula- Coyle
JDB - Foligno - Smith
Nosek - Freddy - Lazar

Or another possible option?
Where is stud ?

Reactions: Ratty and bbfan419

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
But we know for a fact that Debrusk was affected adversely in a big way by covid. Thinking his game fell off a cliff as a natural progression in his career is clearly unfair.

We'll agree to disagree on him. He scored 5 goals last year and clearly other players were able to score in double digits. At some point you have to put blame on the player.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
True. What’s DeBrusk worth today? A 3rd? If he sucks this season, what’s he worth at the trade deadline? A 3rd/ 4th? Hanging onto him is the smart play here. Unless of course they suddenly find themselves needing to free up cap space

Josh Anderson was worth Domi after his lost season w major injury...Only takes one GM.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
We'll agree to disagree on him. He scored 5 goals last year and clearly other players were able to score in double digits. At some point you have to put blame on the player.
So what you are sayin is that all players are the same and they all were impacted by Covid in the same exact way. I know personally of a few people who suffered some severe mental issues/depression due to covid, not everyone is wired the same way and do not handle stressors the same way. To simply dismiss Jake's claim that Covid had a negative impact on him is a rather cavalier stance to take.

Reactions: inactive user

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
So what you are sayin is that all players are the same and they all were impacted by Covid in the same exact way. I know personally of a few people who suffered some severe mental issues/depression due to covid, not everyone is wired the same way and do not handle stressors the same way. To simply dismiss Jake's claim that Covid had a negative impact on him is a rather cavalier stance to take.

Im saying 5 goals is 5 goals. Im sure he was not the only person in the league to get covid. At some point he needs to take responsibility for his play falling off a cliff.

We already have the Kadri hit being an excuse on top of covid when in reality this is a kid who has had his point totals go down yearly. I'm not down playing COVID at all but to solely pin it on COVID is not correct.

If he does lousy next year will we finally get people to admit that JDB is not that great of a player?

Also, if this was solely a COVID issue I'm sure that Sweeney would have laid off the 3rd line wingers. Its an easy out for him if the guy was recovering from a bad illness.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Im saying 5 goals is 5 goals. Im sure he was not the only person in the league to get covid. At some point he needs to take responsibility for his play falling off a cliff.

We already have the Kadri hit being an excuse on top of covid when in reality this is a kid who has had his point totals go down yearly. I'm not down playing COVID at all but to solely pin it on COVID is not correct.

If he does lousy next year will we finally get people to admit that JDB is not that great of a player?

Also, if this was solely a COVID issue I'm sure that Sweeney would have laid off the 3rd line wingers. Its an easy out for him if the guy was recovering from a bad illness.

I think DeBrusk is ultimately responsible for his own inconsistency (which was still a thing even when he scored 27 goals in 68 games). I think it's a bit shortsighted to look at his 5 goals in a covid shortened season and conclude this is what he is at age 24.

First 203 NHL Games:

62 goals
460 shots (2.26/ per game)
13.5 SH%

Last 41 NHL Games:

5 goals
92 shots (2.24/ per game)
5.5 SH%

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I agree, Debrusk is not that great of a player.

Even if he does score 20 goals. He has a lot of improvements to make.

But he's not a 5 goal scorer.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Same thing happened to Frederic from his early season burst, free pass. For some reason Jake's illness and mental state were intolerable to some for whatever reason. Yeah he sulked, maybe said some dumb things, but to ditch him for nothing doesn't really make much sense.

Reactions: JerseyBruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad