Management Don Sweeney - Free Agent recap zoom ( 7/28/21 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not that Vegas odds are the best means by predicting a teams trend. But here were the Bruins SC odds on 7/12 +1500
After losing Krejci and according to hordes here mismanaging the UFA period - drumroll ........... 0n 8/2 +1200
So Vegas seems to think the Bruins improved.

The Bruins are a "public" team. Those odds are lower than they would be otherwise. Vegas is focused on its own value, not serving as a true barometer of team rankings.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Forward depth and Ullmark he addressed.

The defense is soft and questionable at best - Bruce will have to ensure the system covers the gaps on defense.

A desperate need for a second line center and a true top four defenseman. Those will each cost a ransom at the trade deadline.

Hall is not going to drive the 2nd line on his own. Whether it is Coyle/Foligno/Haula with Smith, that is closer to another third line than a second line. The 4th line is much improved.

This effort by Sweeney is not good. Knowing Krejci was leaving with the cap space available he chose the easy path in buying depth, which any of us could have done, rather than the difficult one in hunting down a Krejci replacement or top four defenseman.
That’s why you pay the ransom now and not at the deadline you’ll have the player playing more games for you if it is done now

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Well I admit it is some depth but I see a whole lot more of quantity instead of quality there, and Sweeney cut his own wrist by throwing money around and not filling either hole (Left-side D-man ) add to that he managed to make next off season even more complicated with his signings as there sure wont be enough cap space left to sign Bergy and Charlie.

They will have just over $21m in cap space next offseason. I wouldn't be surprised tro see both Charlie and Bergy resigned before the trade deadline. Let's say Charlie goes for $9.5M and Bergy signs for a bit of a discount, say $6M...they still have most key positions covered...so just a few depth signings and they are done. The only ?? is what if JDB sets the world on fire...or if he is traded for a more expensive piece. But, as we have seen with Tampa...GM's aren't as scared of being cap compliant.

Reactions: TCB

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Wouldn't shocked if Bergeron retired tbh, especially if they are an also ran next season,

Unless there are some private personal or family reasons for stepping away from the game, or health reasons, most guys who are centering what is arguably the best line in the NHL are likely gonna want to keep playing.

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
yup. His current contract was for 55 million overall.
The last 3 years big bonuses were paid. Millions.
So real money for this year is about 4 million.
Hes already banked about 51 million from this one.
Have to think Bergeron is retiring after this year and has made it known. It seems like almost every player that Sweeney signed this year can play center and has a 2 year deal.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I keep reading posts that at least the bottom 6 depth has been addressed and is much improved.
Perhaps, but perhaps not. At this point it's just been changed. Sure it was bad, but aside from guessing, how can you tell its better now until they play?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Have to think Bergeron is retiring after this year and has made it known. It seems like almost every player that he signed this year can play center and has a 2 year deal.

You don't have to think that. Wild speculation. I do not think that. Don't tell me what I have to do. I'm an adult.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Have to think Bergeron is retiring after this year and has made it known. It seems like almost every player that Sweeney signed this year can play center and has a 2 year deal.

If he was retiring after this season, I don't think they make those deals. None of the players they signed are even close to Bergeron replacements. They would have signed Danault or not tied up so much money in 2022-23 so they could sign someone like Hertl next offseason.

I think he's probably here for at least another couple of years. He doesn't have a Krejci situation where his family is an ocean away. Bergeron also strikes me as the kind of guy who'd feel obligated to stay as the captain of the team as long as the team wanted him back.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bergeron? Retire? Doubtful

guy has had his best years the last 4, he’s got at least 4 decent to good years of hockey left

I’m sweeney I offer 6 maybe 6.5 for 3 years and reevaluate after that.

Only way bergeron retires is if he truly just doesn’t have the desire to play anymore and feels it’ll take too many years to reasonably fight for a cup again.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

That's crazy, why would a player who is still at the top of his game retire? Makes zero sense. Bruins added a bunch of players who can play center on 3rd/4th line, nobody there is a 1st line C.

Reactions: HumBucker

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
That's crazy, why would a player who is still at the top of his game retire? Makes zero sense. Bruins added a bunch of players who can play center on 3rd/4th line, nobody there is a 1st line C.
As crazy as it sounds and I truly hope I am wrong, he will be 37 next summer, so it could probably go either way. That being said signing 3/4th liners to play 1st and 2nd liners, never doubt Sweeney...

Reactions: JOKER 192

marchand 63

Aug 27, 2020
It comes down to Eichel a Bruin or start rebuild. You aren’t getting a Barkov in free agency. Slim pickings out there. No more half measures
Zero chance were even in the conversation for eichel , we trade away future stars we don’t acquire them . Bruins management will never pay the price ,100% guaranteed

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I cannot imagine they made Bergeron captain for two seasons. He will play a few more seasons, even as he declines into a middle six center eventually. The issue then is the Bruins are in for some very dark times with how this GM has drafted over the years.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I cannot imagine they made Bergeron captain for two seasons. He will play a few more seasons, even as he declines into a middle six center eventually. The issue then is the Bruins are in for some very dark times with how this GM has drafted over the years.
Hopefully Pasta wants to stick around. Wouldn’t blame him for wanting to go to a better team when his deal is up.

Reactions: Estlin

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

guy has had his best years the last 4, he’s got at least 4 decent to good years of hockey left

Only way bergeron retires is if he truly just doesn’t have the desire to play anymore and feels it’ll take too many years to reasonably fight for a cup again.

That and even though it hasn’t cropped up again years ago he did go through a very bad concussion period where many thought he might be done. So that may end up playing a factor as well. I think he signs, but if not I am betting this will be one of the reasons

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

I agree I think no way is he retiring as he can still be productive for Id say at least 3 more years even if its in a defensive roll but as a number one center. Im not sure. Hopefully the Bruins get a GM in here who can replace Bergy before its to late and Bergy will have to play the #1 center role for the next 3 plus years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad