Management Don Sweeney - Free Agent recap zoom ( 7/28/21 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
$5-7 for Bergeron….likely right, but if there has ever been a player that lost out on some money he might have made, it’s this guy. Feels kind of dirty, but that’s the way it goes, I guess

I suppose it is down the individual and how much is enough. All these guys are in another league financially than 99.99% of the world, so you have to wonder if Bergeron is crying about only making 35 million on his last contract instead of 40m, or if he is completely satisfied with what he's received over the years.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Was talking about this with co-workers yesterday. By signing all these middle of the road clowns, he has hand cuffed himself next year. As it stands right now, next year he will have 21 mill to spend but has to re-sign Bergeron and McAvoy. Lets assume that's around 11 mill combined? So that leaves 10 mill to use. What's that? 1 good player or 3 Meh players (like he did this year). But it doesn't matter, they will make the playoffs and Mr. Burns will be happy.
Did you see the way the defenseman are getting paid this summer. It's gonna cast you more than 11 mill to re-sign both those guys

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wouldn't shocked if Bergeron retired tbh, especially if they are an also ran next season,

when he says he’s going to take it and decide year to year, I believe him.
Retirement could very well be the decision.
Or maybe like Chara. A 1 year 1 million with over 35 age few million more in bonuses. It would carry over but may work.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I suppose it is down the individual and how much is enough. All these guys are in another league financially than 99.99% of the world, so you have to wonder if Bergeron is crying about only making 35 million on his last contract instead of 40m, or if he is completely satisfied with what he's received over the years.

yup. His current contract was for 55 million overall.
The last 3 years big bonuses were paid. Millions.
So real money for this year is about 4 million.
Hes already banked about 51 million from this one.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I thought about it guys I see a lot of doom and gloom especially the 2nd line. But after looking the team the way its constructed by donny I see a team much better then last year. First we have more depth especially 3rd and 4th lines which last year was a desert. The 2nd line without dk hurts no doubt but it doesn't need to run on all cylinders with players like haula noesak and foligno putting some numbers which they are quite capable. I mean if foligno is healthy he can pot 15 goals easily with all that sand paper and leadership. Haula too has scoring spark in his career. Were much deeper guys if you like at those forward lines now. Studnicka is the wildcard if he can solidify that 2nd like were good . If not donny has a knack to address at trade deadline he always does something to plug holes. Were gonna be good guys no worries. Book it !

Last edited:
Reactions: inactive user

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I thought about it guys I see a lot of doom and gloom especially the 2nd line. But after looking the team the way its constructed by donny I see a team much better then last year. First we have more depth especially 3rd and 4th lines which last year was a desert. The 2nd line without dk hurts no doubt but it doesn't need to run on all cylinders with players like haula noesak and foligno putting some numbers which they are quite capable. I mean if foligno is healthy he can pot 15 goals easily with all that sand paper and leadership. Haula too has scoring spark in his career. Were much deeper guys if you like at those forward lines now. Studnicka is the wildcard if he can solidify that 2nd like were good . If not donny has a knack to address at trade deadline he always does something to plug holes. Were gonna be good guys no worries. Book it !
With Krejci at 2C (playing at close to 70 point pace past few seasons) the Bruins were easily bounced in 2nd round. Coyle isn’t scoring 70. Foligno scoring 30 points would be a bright spot. Haula maybe gets on a hot streak but banking on him isn’t ideal. The 2021-22 Bruins will once again be a 1-line team again I fear

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
when he says he’s going to take it and decide year to year, I believe him.
Retirement could very well be the decision.
Or maybe like Chara. A 1 year 1 million with over 35 age few million more in bonuses. It would carry over but may work.

Here's what I see.... A team that will probably be heading downward in the near future, it just happens.....A body that has just been broken up.....the concussion factor, why risk it.....the fact it's obvious family is his life, like it should be....When I look at Bergeron, i see a guy who for the rest of his life will have a greater impact on the world after playing than he did while playing...Guy is just what all of us want our sons to be.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Is Barkov really a lock to stay in FLA?
Nobody knows for sure but looking at the trajectory of that team I think they’re ready to compete this season. And they’re adding. Hornqvst was a sneaky good add. This summer they add Reinhart. Assuming they offer Barkov a fair deal I don’t see why he leaves? Unless of course he’s tight with some Russian on another team and bolts? I can’t see that team being Boston. Bruins avoid Russians it seems

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
With Krejci at 2C (playing at close to 70 point pace past few seasons) the Bruins were easily bounced in 2nd round. Coyle isn’t scoring 70. Foligno scoring 30 points would be a bright spot. Haula maybe gets on a hot streak but banking on him isn’t ideal. The 2021-22 Bruins will once again be a 1-line team again I fear
I think we have the best 1st line team in hockey with 3 lines that play like a 3rd. Last year we had 1st line ( best in nhl ) above average 2nd line and the last 2 lines that well weren't lines. They were nothing at all.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think we have the best 1st line team in hockey with 3 lines that play like a 3rd. Last year we had 1st line ( best in nhl ) above average 2nd line and the last 2 lines that well weren't lines. They were nothing at all.
That was WITH Krejci, and they still were easily bounced in round 2. Now Krejci is gone. Buckle up, the Bruins are trending downward

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That was WITH Krejci, and they still were easily bounced in round 2. Now Krejci is gone. Buckle up, the Bruins are trending downward
I'm optimistic about what was done here. Donny did pretty good at free agency addressed a lot of needs . Goaltending solidified our D is patched through not perfectly but very serviceable with Reilly and forbert. Forward lines deeper just that hole on 2c is glaring. Were good and ready for puck for drop and 2c will be solved for sure before playoffs that I can book it comfortably.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Not that Vegas odds are the best means by predicting a teams trend. But here were the Bruins SC odds on 7/12 +1500
After losing Krejci and according to hordes here mismanaging the UFA period - drumroll ........... 0n 8/2 +1200
So Vegas seems to think the Bruins improved.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm optimistic about what was done here. Donny did pretty good at free agency addressed a lot of needs . Goaltending solidified our D is patched through not perfectly but very serviceable with Reilly and forbert. Forward lines deeper just that hole on 2c is glaring. Were good and ready for puck for drop and 2c will be solved for sure before playoffs that I can book it comfortably.

Forward depth and Ullmark he addressed.

The defense is soft and questionable at best - Bruce will have to ensure the system covers the gaps on defense.

A desperate need for a second line center and a true top four defenseman. Those will each cost a ransom at the trade deadline.

Hall is not going to drive the 2nd line on his own. Whether it is Coyle/Foligno/Haula with Smith, that is closer to another third line than a second line. The 4th line is much improved.

This effort by Sweeney is not good. Knowing Krejci was leaving with the cap space available he chose the easy path in buying depth, which any of us could have done, rather than the difficult one in hunting down a Krejci replacement or top four defenseman.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not that Vegas odds are the best means by predicting a teams trend. But here were the Bruins SC odds on 7/12 +1500
After losing Krejci and according to hordes here mismanaging the UFA period - drumroll ........... 0n 8/2 +1200
So Vegas seems to think the Bruins improved.

Vegas is about luring in the bets more than anything as well as other variables, is it not? I would not place much weight in this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it will will take 8.5 -10 to sign McAvoy alone and another 5-7 for Bergy.
So yeah there's not much room at all, and Jake, Zboril, Vaak, Steen and Studnicka will all be RFA.

On a longterm deal it’s easy 9+ for McAvoy

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad