Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Don should have a fact checker before he goes on the air (unless he's got presidential ambitions).

He claimed that Boston had to fly back and forth between LA and Boston while Montréal had it easy against Toronto.

He's obviously talking about the 1976, 1977, 1978 or 1979 playoffs.

In 1976, while they played against LA in the 1st round, Montréal played against Chicago, and the Bruins lost in the 2nd round against the Flyers.

In 1977, they again played against LA, but Montréal played against St- Louis.

In the 2nd round, they played against the Flyers while Montréal played against the Islanders.

In 1978, Montréal did sweep Toronto in the 2nd round, after playing against Detroit in the 1st round. In the meantime, Boston played against Chicago and the Flyers before meeting Montréal.

In 1979, They did meet in the 2nd round after Montréal had swept the Leafs, but Boston had played the 1st round against the Penguins (a sweep), not against LA.

Nice try, however, to play the "we were tired" card.

It also can't be true because there is no way Don Cherry and a Don Cherry-approved roster of good Canadian boys and a couple honorary Canadian boys (look at the Bruins rosters those years, like 95+% Canadian players) who play the game the right way in every way would ever get tired. You're always brimming with energy ready to take on any jerk Russian or American, or at least put up a good fight against fellow Canadian good boys (like Cherry's Bruins DIDN'T do vs the Habs) if you're living that clean Don Cherry life.

Last edited:

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
You're comparing pineapples to pears. :help:

Uh, how exactly? You have issues with people talking about stuff they dislike when they can just ignore it, yet you're talking about stuff you dislike instead of just ignoring it.

And by the way, no one's saying you can't like or defend Cherry, but don't make up this phony high horse principle that you can't even follow yourself.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
How's Don feeling about Ovechkin's Richard and Kucherov's Art Ross? Has he come up with enough explanations why neither is REALLY the winner?

member 298589

Archaic artifact from an ignorant, xenophobic time. Propagating a cold war, front of the bus mentality that is somehow acceptable based on his senility and historic association with the game. Based on being in my 30s, I should be fully impacted by a childhood affection but I instead despise his cockroach-like longevity.

I probably can't dissuade a sticky centred around praising a man that is feces made flesh, but seeing it any time I load up "General Discussion" finally goaded me into this post.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Archaic artifact from an ignorant, xenophobic time. Propagating a cold war, front of the bus mentality that is somehow acceptable based on his senility and historic association with the game. Based on being in my 30s, I should be fully impacted by a childhood affection but I instead despise his cockroach-like longevity.

I probably can't dissuade a sticky centred around praising a man that is feces made flesh, but seeing it any time I load up "General Discussion" finally goaded me into this post.
Don's forgotten more about hockey than you or just about anyone on these boards will ever know. And people talking about him being an awful person are beyond ridiculous, in real life he is an amazing person who has done so much good for his country through his charitable efforts.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Whaaaa.

Mommy there is an entertainer on the television and I don't like him!

I am not being forced to watch but I don't have the wherewithal and maturity level to control myself and I'm going to be a negative person and complain and act like a baby about it.

Completely missed the point but your type often does.

Somebody missed the point, wasn’t him though.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Uh, how exactly? You have issues with people talking about stuff they dislike when they can just ignore it, yet you're talking about stuff you dislike instead of just ignoring it.

And by the way, no one's saying you can't like or defend Cherry, but don't make up this phony high horse principle that you can't even follow yourself.

Your post makes no sense.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Don's forgotten more about hockey than you or just about anyone on these boards will ever know. And people talking about him being an awful person are beyond ridiculous, in real life he is an amazing person who has done so much good for his country through his charitable efforts.
But the poster you quoted is right about his persona.

You might be right about who he really is, but it's not the image he projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad