News Article: Don Cherry talks about Bozak and Clarkson

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Bozak has played 584:20 in his career at even strength sans Kessel and has just two three goals and five eight points. In that stretch, the puck is in the Leafs opposition's end just 43.6% of the time and the Leafs have scored just 36.4% of all the goals scored. Bozak's goal rate increases by 111% and his points rate increases by 103% when he plays alongside Kessel.
http://theleafsnation.com/2013/5/17/why-tyler-bozak-should-have-played-his-last-game-as-a-leaf
So you're saying when paired with an elite winger Bozaks offence goes up? Who knew?

Yet again, only 4 of his 16 assists were on Kessel goals...

Hmmmm.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Flank? Bozak can't carry the puck, Kessel carries the puck or JVR, I don't even remember the last time Bozak lead a rush. He gets secondary assists because it off his stick before the red line. It's hilarious, the guy ain't all that great at all. We paid 1.25m for friendship. And I hope we save 1.25 for it with kessel down the road.

You would rather have Weiss who was injured for most of the season .....who cost more and a player that is 30years old and will be 35 in the last year of his contract...he is paid 700000 more and is not an up grade over Bozak in many key areas....

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yet somehow only 25% of his assists are on Kessel goals?
Bozak is a pretty decent distributor. The fact is, Kessel is going to be conductor on that line. I think the main reason he wanted out of Boston, because he wasn't allowed to be created. He is a withdrawn playmaker much like Savard and isn't going to settle as a finisher role (i.e. Cheechoo, Neal, etc).

Phil Kessel wants Bozak as a linemate and it's obvious that he likes to be the go to guy. We'll probably seeing him out producing Sundin as well. Seeing that he close to 90 point pace last season with Bozak in the middle, I don't see any worries. Phil should we see much great performance if have a consistent transition game, JVR becomes more creative and Bozak utilizes his goal scoring instincts.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
So you're saying when paired with an elite winger Bozaks offence goes up? Who knew?

Yet again, only 4 of his 16 assists were on Kessel goals...

Hmmmm.

This is a misleading stat. Look at the actual box scores and see how reliant Bozak is on Kessel for his offense:

vs. BUF (1/21) PPG - N. Kadri (2) Wrist - ASST: M. Kostka (2) AND T. Bozak (1)
vs. BUF (1/29) C. Franson (1) Slap - ASST: P. Kessel (3) AND T. Bozak (2)
vs. WSH (1/31) -- PPG - J. van Riemsdyk (4) Snap - ASST: P. Kessel (4) AND T. Bozak(3)
vs. WPG (2.7) PPG - P. Kessel (1) Wrist - ASST: T. Bozak (4)
vs. PHI (2/11) J. van Riemsdyk (8) Backhand - ASST: P. Kessel (9) AND T. Bozak(5)
vs. TBL (2/19) J. van Riemsdyk (9) Wrist - ASST: P. Kessel (10) AND T. Bozak (6)
vs. PHI (2/25) P. Kessel (4) Snap - ASST: T. Bozak(7) AND C. Gunnarsson (3)
vs. PTT (3/7) -- J. van Riemsdyk (13) Backhand - ASST: P. Kessel (14) AND T. Bozak(8)
vs. WPG (3/17/) P. Kessel (10) Wrist - ASST: T. Bozak (9) AND J. van Riemsdyk (8)
vs. FLA (3/26) PPG - J. Lupul (5) Tip-In - ASST: T. Bozak (10) AND P. Kessel (21)
vs. FLA (3/26) J. Lupul (6) Wrist - ASST: P. Kessel(22) AND T. Bozak (11)
vs. CAR (3/29) D. Phaneuf (7) Slap - ASST: J. Lupul(2) AND T. Bozak (12)
vs. CAR (3/29) EN - N. Kulemin (6) Backhand - ASST: T. Bozak (13) AND C. Gunnarsson (12)
vs. NYR (4/9) -- P. Kessel (12) Wrist - ASST: T. Bozak (14) AND J. van Riemsdyk(11)
vs. NYI (4/19) -- PPG - C. Franson (4) Snap - ASST:T. Bozak (15) AND P. Kessel (29)
vs. TBL (4/24) -- P. Kessel (17) Wrist - ASST: T. Bozak (16)

Only 6 of Bozak's 16 assists (tied for 48th in the league among centers) did not involve Phil Kessel scoring the goal or setting up the eventual goal scorer.

On the one hand, that Bozak's points would often involve the elite scorer he plays with is unsurprising -- he spends over 90% of his ES time on the ice with Kessel. At the same time, little here contradicts the notion that Bozak doesn't score much without Phil (and, indeed, Phil assisted on 8 of Bozak's 12 goals).

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
Tyler Bozak reads his reviews. But he doesn't understand them:

“I don’t see myself getting 90 points or whatever, but a lot of the criticism I get at least is about puck possession. I don’t play the game where I want to hold onto the puck as long as I can,†Bozak explained.

“I’m playing with two highly skilled wingers; I try to get them the puck as quick as I can. I’m a big believer in give-and-go hockey – move the puck as quick as you can and get to an open spot.

“When you’re playing with Phil (Kessel) and JVR (James van Riemsdyk) or Joffrey (Lupul) they all three have amazing shots and obviously I’m going to try and get them the puck as often as I can in a scoring position.â€

source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ozak-thinks-phil-kessel-will-stay-with-leafs/

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ding ding ding ding....exactly. Especially at 4.25M bucks or whatever stupid salary they are paying that stiff. What is this...beer league hockey where I get to play with my buddy? Phil, if you want to go play with Bozak...by all means go ahead...it just won't be for the TML.

What an assinine reason to sign a player. C'mon Philly, come play with Toronto..Tyler will be there...stupid.

Yes and no HF.

We lose PK to UFA and we are fckd fckd fckd, going forward, asset value wise.

Odds of getting equal value return in trade during his UFA year, very, very slim.

This is the sht storm corner, Bs painted us in ,with his expedited retool.

So many lost years of controllability from those top draft picks.

We could very well walk away from that big trade with only a game 7 playoff round loss, before we lose all that asset value for nothing or at best, very diminished returns, compared to payment.

Now we are signing players to bad contracts to appease Vince Carter , errr, i mean PK.????:naughty:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's very very simple.

A guy who plays with Phil Kessel, a top 10 scorer, as a linemate and gets 19-20 minutes of ice time should be able to do better than 50 points if his role is to be on that line.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's very very simple.

A guy who plays with Phil Kessel, a top 10 scorer, as a linemate and gets 19-20 minutes of ice time should be able to do better than 50 points if his role is to be on that line.

Damn straight, well unless he is there in an enforcing role.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Bozak can put up 60 points next season playing on the top line, I'll happily eat crow. He got his contract despite not earning it based on merit. Now we'll see what he's made of moving forward.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
I don't want to defend the guy entirely, but Bozak had 29 pts in 39 games when he first broke into the league. Though we must remember that the Leafs were pretty much out of it from the get go.

The line that tore it up was Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel. Maybe management wants him to find his form from the 09-10 season. He looked like he also wasn't burdened with the thought of always tossing it over to Kessel at EVERY OPPORTUNITY. At least that's my big hope.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
I don't want to defend the guy entirely, but Bozak had 29 pts in 39 games when he first broke into the league. Though we must remember that the Leafs were pretty much out of it from the get go.

The line that tore it up was Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel. Maybe management wants him to find his form from the 09-10 season. He looked like he also wasn't burdened with the thought of always tossing it over to Kessel at EVERY OPPORTUNITY. At least that's my big hope.

Man. Good on you for remembering Bozak's auspicious start, but that sounds to me like something JFJ said at the 2006 draft table...

I mean, Bozak fans tell me I'm crazy for thinking Grabo will easily bounce back to 2011-12 form. But if that's what the Bozak fans at MLSE central are hanging their hopes on...

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
My point is that even though Mac may not have been considered a #1, he still put up good #'s, also out produced bozak by far and he was better defensively, the Ducks also had Getzlaf breakthrough in their run to the cup.

You are strictly judging Bozak's defence by his +/- so you need to stop commenting about that, please and thanks :)

Comparing a SC team to us.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
You are strictly judging Bozak's defence by his +/- so you need to stop commenting about that, please and thanks :)

Comparing a SC team to us.

Any measure of Bozak's defensive abilities doesn't suggest good things about his game. When he's on the ice, the team gives up more shots than when he's off the ice. Over the last three season, he's been on the ice for 28% of ES minutes, but has given up 31% of the ES shots the goalie faced and 40% of the ES goals the team's given up. The goalie's save percentage is worse when he's on the ice, which means when he's on the team gives up better scoring chances. I get that he wins a few more faceoffs than other guys, but the other facts all suggest the puck is given to the opposition pretty quickly.

What do I look at to judge Bozak's defense to be any good?

hockeyfanz*

Any measure of Bozak's defensive abilities doesn't suggest good things about his game. When he's on the ice, the team gives up more shots than when he's off the ice. Over the last three season, he's been on the ice for 28% of ES minutes, but has given up 31% of the ES shots the goalie faced and 40% of the ES goals the team's given up. The goalie's save percentage is worse when he's on the ice, which means when he's on the team gives up better scoring chances. I get that he wins a few more faceoffs than other guys, but the other facts all suggest the puck is given to the opposition pretty quickly.

What do I look at to judge Bozak's defense to be any good?

:laugh: He is basically Matt Stajan with better face off skills. Other than that Don Cherry was right before he backpedaled....way too much money for a "plug"

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
:laugh: He is basically Matt Stajan with better face off skills. Other than that Don Cherry was right before he backpedaled....way too much money for a "plug"

Yeah, except Stajan's actually had a 50+ point season -- playing with Ponikarovsky and Antropov...

Ok. That was a cheap shot.

hockeyfanz*

Yeah, except Stajan's actually had a 50+ point season -- playing with Ponikarovsky and Antropov...

Ok. That was a cheap shot.

Not even joking...their games are similar...Bozak maybe a bit more speed, Stajan a better playmaker...both smallish..weak..meh mediocre skilled guys....certainly neither should be paid more than 3M...but some stupid team always pays these duds more than they're worth. Leafs buying out players is becoming a regular occurence.

Feb 24, 2004
he does the job the coach asks of him very well. call anyone who can appreciate his game fan boys all you want, truth is hockey people know what he brings. that's why he gets the ice time he does.

you go on hating, and for god sakes don't open your mind at all. but if you can, sit with someone who knows more about the game than you some time, and listen instead of yapping.

or, just fall back on your 8 years of pro hockey as a center and teach us dumb *****

What does he bring?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Lol wut? Grabo produced very well under wilson. Not sure if serious

I love when people make stupid responses without actually reading the thread.

Since you can't be bothered, the discussion was regarding Grabbo and Kessel playing together. The comment was in regards to neither coach seeing Grabbo as a fit with Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad