News Article: Don Cherry talks about Bozak and Clarkson

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It's very very simple.

A guy who plays with Phil Kessel, a top 10 scorer, as a linemate and gets 19-20 minutes of ice time should be able to do better than 50 points if his role is to be on that line.

So then we should see plenty of lines where this is the case correct?

Yet nobody can show me this...

(The reason he is on our top line is actually very simple by the way.... That you are correct about. Yet leaf land can't grasp it)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Carlyle will build 2 lines.

There won't be a number one C but 2 number 2 lines. The Leafs may be ready to gamble on Kadri,in 2 years he could be a number 1.

Kessel/Boazak/JVR

Clarkson/Kadri/Lupul.

More than enough offense.

On that note Bozak wants to have a good year next year,gulp Grabo.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

(The reason he is on our top line is actually very simple by the way.... That you are correct about. Yet leaf land can't grasp it)

He's there because of his hustle and his determination to be the first forward backchecking, everything else is average. Thats not the typical criteria used to legitimize a #1 center.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON

With all the people who disagree, does it make you wonder if you are the one who fails to grasp the failed logic?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Damn that looks pretty good.

If macarthur was here put him on the 3rd line that would look good too.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Grabovski-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bolland- Macarthur
Orr-Mclement- McLaren

Yes, im totally ignoring the cap, im aware, but this would look like a great group of forwards heading into next season. On he other hand, Im sorry, but at the moment our current line-up looks pathetic. Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't make the playoffs
Our current lineup looks pathetic? Did anyone tell you to stay or your meds? If you're going to have an opinion, please make it an informed one and not one based on hyperbole.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The lineup we have now beats Boston, yet it's pathetic to some. Crazy.

All of our moves have been upgrades. Clarkson > Mac, Bolland > Grabo (the role people) and Bernier > Scrivens.

Have they been to our #1C or adding a support D? No, but who was available in either role. Weiss and Ribs aren't any better then Bozak. We came very close to signing Scuderi, who really was the only quality d-man out there.

Adding Gardiner, Lupul, a healthy Gunner and possibly Rielly to this team for a full season is a huge upgrade within itself.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Adding Gardiner, Lupul, a healthy Gunner and possibly Rielly to this team for a full season is a huge upgrade within itself.

People keep forgetting that Lupul was injured for most of the season last year and Gardiner had nagging injuries that lead to him getting adjusted again in the minors.

If those two are healthy for the season (Doubt Lupul will be) then that's a huge upgrade already internally.

MrLegend28*

No one talked about this article yet?:
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/20/leiweke-is-a-fool-for-wanting-to-erase-history

"And when all are signed, that means no money left for depth players or other free agents."

That about sums it up. The Leafs are no closer to a Championship or being a contender and their cap is exhausted. Nonis like Burke.

if youre gonna come and try and be negative, use something better than the Toronto Sun :laugh:

p.s why do we need depth again? we routinely had 3 guys in the press box + minors eating serious cap. so we dont scratch so many and when a players hurt... they go on IR and their money is free'd up and then we can call someone up with their money. That doesnt seem too difficult?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
No one talked about this article yet?:
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/20/leiweke-is-a-fool-for-wanting-to-erase-history

"And when all are signed, that means no money left for depth players or other free agents."

That about sums it up. The Leafs are no closer to a Championship or being a contender and their cap is exhausted. Nonis like Burke.

lmao Steve Simmons. The Toronto Sun-employed troll of Leaf Nation. Seems like the two of you have something in common.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Lol @ using Simmons as some sort of prophet. Guy's a ****ing tool.

I remember the article he wrote that had the headline "It's official: Kessel trade has turned into a disaster for Leafs"

I can't stand him, and always turn off TSN radio when he comes on.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Lol @ using Simmons as some sort of prophet. Guy's a ****ing tool.

Steve Simmons never has anything intuitive to say. It's all about making the story that'll troll and upset the people the most, to get the most attention and publicity.

Then there's people who actually think he's informed...

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
With all the people who disagree, does it make you wonder if you are the one who fails to grasp the failed logic?

Not in the least. If I got all my hockey opinions from HF, I'd be celebrating Edmontons third straight cup by now, Kessel would still be a 60 point second line winger, and Brad Richards and his enormous contract would be wasting away on our team instead.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Feb 24, 2004
People keep forgetting that Lupul was injured for most of the season last year and Gardiner had nagging injuries that lead to him getting adjusted again in the minors.

If those two are healthy for the season (Doubt Lupul will be) then that's a huge upgrade already internally.

We're sure Carlyle is going to play gardiner right?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
We're sure Carlyle is going to play gardiner right?

Going by the playoffs, it seems that Carlyle showed more confidence in him than any other time. Gardiner actually had the highest even strength ice time per game at 21:34 in 6 games. Was also 2nd behind Phaneuf for total time on ice per game.

I think Carlyle just didn't like how Gardiner looked after his injury and could probably tell he needed time to adjust his game back to where it should be.

Hopefully this year Gardiner is given enough responsibility to show how he manages it for a full season.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Going by the playoffs, it seems that Carlyle showed more confidence in him than any other time. Gardiner actually had the highest even strength ice time per game at 21:34 in 6 games. Was also 2nd behind Phaneuf for total time on ice per game.

I think Carlyle just didn't like how Gardiner looked after his injury and could probably tell he needed time to adjust his game back to where it should be.

Hopefully this year Gardiner is given enough responsibility to show how he manages it for a full season.
He played him smart as well by giving him offensive minutes. I think if we is given time on the top pairing with Phaneuf, we could have a very effective top pairing. We all know that he can move the puck better than Kostka, but just needs to improve his positional game without the puck.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
So on the market you trade Frattin, Scrivens, Grabo +15m bonus, 2x2nds 3x4ths picks.

For

Bernier, Bolland

The fantastic deal I tell ya, a bad back and on the decline 4th line guy and 60game possible Toskala for all that. Lol jokers

While I don't doubt your expertise, the reality is that most experts believe Bernier will be a star goalie in this league. Frattin will be a career, decent third line plug. We have many of those types in our system. I don't understand how you can't see that.

Sure Bolland has a bad back, but he is not here for the long term. Grabo was not going to cut it. Who cares about the 15m? He will be a positive influence in the room, adding some veteran experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad