News Article: Don Cherry talks about Bozak and Clarkson

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Going by the playoffs, it seems that Carlyle showed more confidence in him than any other time. Gardiner actually had the highest even strength ice time per game at 21:34 in 6 games. Was also 2nd behind Phaneuf for total time on ice per game.

I think Carlyle just didn't like how Gardiner looked after his injury and could probably tell he needed time to adjust his game back to where it should be.

Hopefully this year Gardiner is given enough responsibility to show how he manages it for a full season.

Agreed.

A lot of people also seem to forget how when Carlyle first came to town, how well Gardiner played under him to end off the season.

I remember how the entire team was falling off a cliff while Gardiner managed to be our only player who continued to play well and get better. Pretty sure he scored almost half his points that season after Randy took over the head coaching position and was also averaging well over 20 minutes a game.

Feb 24, 2004
Going by the playoffs, it seems that Carlyle showed more confidence in him than any other time. Gardiner actually had the highest even strength ice time per game at 21:34 in 6 games. Was also 2nd behind Phaneuf for total time on ice per game.

I think Carlyle just didn't like how Gardiner looked after his injury and could probably tell he needed time to adjust his game back to where it should be.

Hopefully this year Gardiner is given enough responsibility to show how he manages it for a full season.

It's just game 1 that continues to bother me. Everyone and their mother questioned why Gardiner wasn't in the lineup and Kostka was. Judging by the way that Jake played in games 2 through 7, he should have been in there in Game 1.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's just game 1 that continues to bother me. Everyone and their mother questioned why Gardiner wasn't in the lineup and Kostka was. Judging by the way that Jake played in games 2 through 7, he should have been in there in Game 1.

Yep, it always surprises me how much ice time Kostka got per game throughout the season when I'm not even sure where he contributed to the team last season. Even played 31:33 against the NYR on January the 26th and was a -4.

I'm sure they wished they put Gardiner in game 1 now, don't think it would have changed anything but maybe it wouldn't have been such a demoralizing loss as it was.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts...the Leafs would have won a Cup by now. (The saying is altered slightly)

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i still have yet to see a replay of the game 7 OT goal, i'm sure cbc will show it during the opening montage for the first game of the season, i will wait until then

Feb 24, 2004
i still have yet to see a replay of the game 7 OT goal, i'm sure cbc will show it during the opening montage for the first game of the season, i will wait until then

I will be happily looking away at the wall when they do. If I go to hell, I am pretty sure Jack Edwards calls of goals 4 and 5 in Game 7 will be playing on a loop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad