Sportsnet Don Cherry points at Rask for Bruins demise - and also calls out Marchand

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He certainly wasn't putting up tremendous performances agreed, but I'm not sure if I would even put him as one of the reasons we lost.
I would put him as a small reason,definitely other players way above him I would put more blame that’s for sure.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He certainly wasn't putting up tremendous performances agreed, but I'm not sure if I would even put him as one of the reasons we lost.

He's in the same category as blaming the lightning with not coming down with the flu during the series.

Would it have been nice if it happened? Yea. But should it have been necessary for us to actually win the series? No, it shouldn't have been

Reactions: hoss75 and Dr Hook

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
LOL. Everyone saying that we just needed Rask to steal a game is missing the fact that one game would've just delayed the inevitable. The Bruins scored less than 2 goals a game after game one. That means Rask would've had to steal 3 games in one series just to advance to the next round. That's too much to expect of any goalie. One game per series? Sure. 3 games per series? No way.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He gave up 12 goals in the 4 losses vs TB.... definitely not stellar goaltending. Bruins scored 7 goals in thise 4 losses, so what Rask did is a pretty mute point. The OT game was the killer.

I agree. He's not the reason we lost the series.
Im just saying with how poor our offense was, and how bad our defense was, he needed to throw a shutout in game 5.
Or maybe not let in those opening goals from game 3 and 4. Tough task, but it can be done.

Still think with a healthy Carlo and healthy MCavoy we couldve won this series. Or PK was horrible.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I agree. He's not the reason we lost the series.
Im just saying with how poor our offense was, and how bad our defense was, he needed to throw a shutout in game 5.
Or maybe not let in those opening goals from game 3 and 4. Tough task, but it can be done.

Still think with a healthy Carlo and healthy MCavoy we couldve won this series. Or PK was horrible.

I agree, but I have kinda given up on him flat out stealing many games, it happens so infrequently.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I think they lost because they ran out of gas and injuries started to take their toll. Rask was not “the” reason they lost, there were several reasons, but he was certainly one of them. His playoffs were not very inspiring and a bit concerning given the repeated pattern and his cap hit. I’m not sure he’s ever going to be “the guy” to steal games on route to a cup (eg tim Thomas) and I think you need that in today’s game given parity.
I think he may have been alluding to that they ran outta gas because RASK couldn't seal the deal vs TORONTO. Game 5 and 6, he steals one of those and we have some rest.
No rest, and we petered out in the end.

I will also mention he had some opportunities to steal games in the later part of the season to lock up first place in the Atlantic and couldn't. Towards the end of the season RASK was very mortal. Oh and we looked tired.

Did he do fine vs Tampa? Sure.
Does he need to be traded? No, but if he was I am not sure I would lose sleep over it.
Should I expect more from my #1 guy? Well he left me wanting more than once. Again he made some big stops but that stole a game thing..It's like an itch you can't scratch.
The same can be said though of almost every player during a big game circumstance. Just positionally his severity is magnified.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
It is true, but it's not right. If you don't like the guy then let the other team have an extra shot after the whistle, you don't let gloss over clear penalty shots or blatant holds that lead to goals. Don't **** with the integrity of the game because there's a guy you don't like.

Exactly. Don't punish the whole team, either.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
He isin't wrong. You need your goalie to steal multiple games over the course of the playoffs if you want to win a cup. Rask didn't steal any in the Tampa series. Vasilevski was much better. There were far too many breakdowns on defense though.

Title is wrong about him calling out Marchand. All he said was that his buddy Marchand didn't help with the refs, hardly a call out. When Don Cherry calls someone out its a little more blatant then this...

Reactions: rudos1 and fin8

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yikes. So he's blaming them losing the series because Rask didn't steal one game??? That's a bit harsh. I could have agreed that Rask could or should have stolen a game but to pin them losing the series on him not stealing one game is a big stretch.

I guess when you take a look at some of the goalies around the league that have been able to get shut outs in the playoffs

Cherry is not being unreasonable

Reactions: rudos1

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I guess when you take a look at some of the goalies around the league that have been able to get shut outs in the playoffs

If he had stopped at stealing a game, yes absolutely. But he pinned the entire series being lost on Rask. That duck don't swim

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I'm not sure what he is really trying to say.

For the Bruins to have won games 2-5. going off what Tuukka gave up, they would have needed to score 4,4,4 and 3 goals. Is that unattainable? It's certainly putting a lot of pressure on your offense, but that offense put a lot of pressure on him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I cannot stand this man. I so wish he would go away. I will never forget the too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty, Mr Ego with bad fashion style.

If Cherry had started Gilbert the first 2 games of that series - too many men never happens because the Bruins win in 6 or less

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm not sure what he is really trying to say.

For the Bruins to have won games 2-5. going off what Tuukka gave up, they would have needed to score 4,4,4 and 3 goals. Is that unattainable? It's certainly putting a lot of pressure on your offense, but that offense put a lot of pressure on him.

I think Cherry called it as he saw it from a goalie with a 2.88 GAA and a .903 save %, his worst stats ever without considering the reaction he would trigger on HF. Good for Cherry #cherrynarative

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad