Sportsnet Don Cherry points at Rask for Bruins demise - and also calls out Marchand

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
giphy.gif

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Is it Rask's fault his team had only one scoring line? Is it his fault that the defense left him out to dry more than once on breakaways in two different series?

I mean, come on. They are plenty of other guys i'd be glaring daggers at first. I'm not the biggest Tukka fan either, but you can hardly blame this series loss on him. If at all, he deserves a small piece of it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He wasn't great but he was the better goalie both series. Glad we have him for 3 more years I don't think the Bruins are very good at scouting pro talent and I do think the next guy is going to suck.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Well, he's definitely a Bruins fan....
I agree that Rask didn't steal a game, but there were periods where he was the one that kept them in it. TB had so many better quality shots on goal....
And I expected better from Don Cherry than the whole, "the refs hate Brad so they don't give Bruins calls so it's Marchand's fault".
Sorry, but hell no. If the refs are clearly biased it's a problem with those officials and the NHL as a whole and should be taken to the feds (as they're the one's that oversee professional sports in the United States). Call bias is in a sense rigging the game.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Yikes. So he's blaming them losing the series because Rask didn't steal one game??? That's a bit harsh. I could have agreed that Rask could or should have stolen a game but to pin them losing the series on him not stealing one game is a big stretch.

In reality Rask half stole game 1 by holding the fort until we scored a few . Tbay was dominant early in that game like every game .

Don is entertaining but anyone who listens to a lot of the crap and silly things he says decide and swings series just lol lol He is totally ridiculous.

The reality is I would bet he didn't even watch the games close at all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don Cherry... just there to stir things up, and self promote. Self-promotion is his job, so not a dig... but this is just giving someone more attention, than they should get. He's like Eklund... ignore him, and hope he goes away. Rask is a fine goalie and a big reason for the success of the Bruins this year.... signed, Leafs fan.

BTW... Marchand is one hell of a player, one of the best in the NHL. His antic are an embarrassment, and need to be reigned in, before they end up costing the team. It's ok to play with and edge, and a fire, but unchecked... it ends up being selfish, and if he gets suspended at some point, could be costly if it's at the wrong time.... like Kadri, another guy who needs to learn some self control and potentially did cost his team.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I know we all go back and forth on Rask here, but I think 95% of us can agree he's a very good goalie. I think it's very odd that he's taking so much flack around league circles and most of us agree he could have played better these play-offs. It was not vintage Rask, but to blame him is insane

Had Holtby taken this much? Bobrovsky? How long did it take Rinne to get to a Cup (who has been garbage by the way this post season, with THAT defense).

Is Cherry running Freddy the Fraud out of Toronto?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdavidev

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well, he's definitely a Bruins fan....
I agree that Rask didn't steal a game, but there were periods where he was the one that kept them in it. TB had so many better quality shots on goal....
And I expected better from Don Cherry than the whole, "the refs hate Brad so they don't give Bruins calls so it's Marchand's fault".
Sorry, but hell no. If the refs are clearly biased it's a problem with those officials and the NHL as a whole and should be taken to the feds (as they're the one's that oversee professional sports in the United States). Call bias is in a sense rigging the game.

That is kind of true IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That is kind of true IMO.

Disagree.

Marchand has done a lot of dumb stuff, been punished by the league and the refs. If the refs don’t like him, fine, but they are professionals who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to maintain objectivity, which some of them are clearly incapable of doing.

Marchand needs to cut the shit, but that doesn’t make referees being biased ok or even his fault.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
In reality Rask half stole game 1 by holding the fort until we scored a few . Tbay was dominant early in that game like every game .

Don is entertaining but anyone who listens to a lot of the crap and silly things he says decide and swings series just lol lol He is totally ridiculous.

The reality is I would bet he didn't even watch the games close at all.

Yeah, Don Cherry is just what you said, he's entertainment. I wouldn't put too much stock into what he says for the most part either way he goes. This was a big reach for sure. I do agree with him about Marchand though

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Disagree.

Marchand has done a lot of dumb stuff, been punished by the league and the refs. If the refs don’t like him, fine, but they are professionals who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to maintain objectivity, which some of them are clearly incapable of doing.

Marchand needs to cut the ****, but that doesn’t make referees being biased ok or even his fault.

I don't think it's right, but I definitely think they do it. It's almost human nature. It's like a teacher who constantly targets the class clown or bully, it's easy pickings. They tax him and the Bruins, and will continue to do so until either Marchand cleans it up, or the league tells them to cut the shit, and both scenarios have little chance of happening I would think.

Reactions: trenton1 and BMC

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
I cannot stand this man. I so wish he would go away. I will never forget the too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty, Mr Ego with bad fashion style.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Personally I blame the dwindled intensity level on the end of the year schedule. The team was going through the motions, but they just didn't have that extra jump ... fatigue will do that to you. It was a brutal way to end the year and it caught up to them.

Otherwise great season by the team they just ran out of gas.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think they lost because they ran out of gas and injuries started to take their toll. Rask was not “the” reason they lost, there were several reasons, but he was certainly one of them. His playoffs were not very inspiring and a bit concerning given the repeated pattern and his cap hit. I’m not sure he’s ever going to be “the guy” to steal games on route to a cup (eg tim Thomas) and I think you need that in today’s game given parity.

Reactions: fin8

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Don't score a 5 on 5 goal for 3 straight games .. blame the goalie !!!
Yeah the not being able to score 5-5 was definitely the biggest issue,one reason why I couldn’t understand Cassidy not splitting up the top line to try and get some production,really other than the first two games against the Leafs and power plays,the top line had been unproductive,and had actually been lousy defensively to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->