Confirmed with Link: Domi signs extension 2y 3.15M per

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
"Maybe Domi can become the next Marchand"

"Have you seen who will be developing him hahaha"

" Julien? The guy who developed Marchand"
Max Domi has nowhere near the tools of a Brad Marchand.

Marchand was already a 20-20 player in his first full season.

He was always going to be an elite winger in this league.

Reactions: Peanut

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
One thing people tend to forget is Galchenyuk has played six NHL seasons yet some of us still treat him as a prospect. A young guy at work commenting on this trade saying Galchenyuk will be a good vet for Arizona. I nearly called him out then thought well to young guy Galchenyuk could be considered a vet.

I strongly believe that after six seasons the player we know is the player Galchenyuk is. We will see how he does with another team but I expect the same player I've known. He will have up years and down years but Galchenyuk isn't going to be a perennial dominating force.

Domi has only played three seasons on a team that is at least equally as bad as us, likely worse. With Domi we don't know the player, he could blossom he really could.

I don’t trust the talent evaluators in this organisation. At all. You only have to look at their track record to see that the reason for this mistrust is well placed.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

You mean the 21g 20a 41 points Brad Marchand? who was a 22 year old rookie? Who progressed under a certain claude julien, That Brad Marchand?

Naah, you're right .. a 20 year old Max Domi's 18 goals 36 assists 52 points as a Rookie doesnt even come CLOSE to that rookie brad marchand season boy i tell ya.

lol like come on, im not saying he's going to be the next brad marchand but there is a LITTLE bit of similarities between these guys..and if domi can turn into what marchand DID become, well then we might actually have something on our hands here

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

While I'm not saying Domi will be like Marchand, but let's look at his stats

Domi 18 - 34
Marchand 20 - 21.

Again, not saying Domi will be him, just stating you should have used a better argument. Marchand continue to progress (granted with a better team) and Domi didn't.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
What does it matter what HF boards's response would've been? And for the record I would imagine it would've been a lot like how people reacted to Drouin signing a 5 year deal after getting traded.

It's not a good deal for us. Either he becomes the player he can be in which case we end up paying top-dollar for him rather then having him at a good caphit. Or he doesn't improve and we've made another terrible trade which makes it irrelevant if he's overpaid.

He's been in the NHL 3 years now, what he did in juniors is irrelevant. He can be a good player that helps us win games, but in all likelyhood we gave up the better player who could do more to help us win games.
[/QUOTE]

So you wanted MB to sign him long term?
Its a deal that gives both sides some insurance. If he proves to be the player he can be as you say, we had him on the cheap for 2 years then pay him accordingly. Don't see a problem with that myself.
If he doesn't, you had him at a manageable cost for 2 years.

The time to move AG to maximize return was 1-2 yrs ago.
Ill let it play out before judging. AG wasn't the super C prospect so many on here claim.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
heard the same about Shaw and his PO heroics (didnt play all the games vs NYR)
heard the same about Weber alpha leadership (team kept sinking with him, made 0 difference)

will it happen with Domi ?? haha! maybe, the great MB keep trying, he'll eventually get one right... even if only by accident...
heard the same about Shaw and his PO heroics (didnt play all the games vs NYR)
heard the same about Weber alpha leadership (team kept sinking with him, made 0 difference)

will it happen with Domi ?? haha! maybe, the great MB keep trying, he'll eventually get one right... even if only by accident...

Any thoughts on the extension?
Would you have signed an extension for him or let him go RFA? Longer term? More or less $?

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
I am not a Habs fan, but would someone here mind explaining this for me, because on the surface this trade doen't seem to make a lot of sense. What exactly is Montreal's reasoning here? Because from my perspective it looks like they traded away a a 20-30 goal scoring winger (age 24) for a 10 goal scoring winger (age 23)... which on the surface doesn't seem to make sense, especially because they still didn't get a Centre out of the deal. They signed Domi to $1.7 million less then Galchenyuk; was that the primary reason for this trade, to clear cap space? The only way I can see this making sense is if Bergevin needed the extra money to be able to throw at Tavares.

Any Habs fan have an inkling what the logic is behind this move?
Expect the unexpected....They have a plan.......

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So you wanted MB to sign him long term?
Its a deal that gives both sides some insurance. If he proves to be the player he can be as you say, we had him on the cheap for 2 years then pay him accordingly. Don't see a problem with that myself.
If he doesn't, you had him at a manageable cost for 2 years.

The time to move AG to maximize return was 1-2 yrs ago.
Ill let it play out before judging. AG wasn't the super C prospect so many on here claim.

I wouldn't have made the trade in the first place, but given that we did yes it would've made a lot more sense to sign him long term cap friendly deal.

First it would make the move consistent, by not doing it Bergevin is essentially saying to Domi we traded for you but we don't really believe in you. So if you're hoping a change in scenery fixes his issues then that's a terrible message to send.

Second, it's extremely unlikely we become competitive over the next 2 seasons. Best case is that 3 years from now we've addressed the C & D and have become a legitimate contender. So having Domi on the cheap for 2 years is meaningless, what matters is how much he would cost when we are a contending team.

Third, if he doesn't work out and we've overpaid in money & term it's not going to matter because we won't be contenders. There's zero chance of us being contenders in the short-medium term if guys like Domi and Drouin stay at their current levels.

When you've only got one chance you go all in you don't hedge your bet.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I am not a Habs fan, but would someone here mind explaining this for me, because on the surface this trade doen't seem to make a lot of sense. What exactly is Montreal's reasoning here? Because from my perspective it looks like they traded away a a 20-30 goal scoring winger (age 24) for a 10 goal scoring winger (age 23)... which on the surface doesn't seem to make sense, especially because they still didn't get a Centre out of the deal. They signed Domi to $1.7 million less then Galchenyuk; was that the primary reason for this trade, to clear cap space? The only way I can see this making sense is if Bergevin needed the extra money to be able to throw at Tavares.

Any Habs fan have an inkling what the logic is behind this move?

At the end of the season Bergevin blamed "attitude" for why we struggled and our gullible owner promised that players who didn't have the right attitude would be shipped out for players that do.

Galchenyuk was the scapegoat, he's being unfairly labeled as a player with a bad attitude and Domi is targeted because he's a guy who works hard and leaves his heart out on the ice.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Terrible, terrible contract. A guy coming off ELC had no leverage. Bergevin just gave Domi 10% more money than he gave Subban on his bridge deal.

He is being paid just $600k less than Gallagher got for a 6-year deal that ate up two years of UFA.

The GM is literally lost.

What's he going to pay Danault? $6M??

Guy needs to be fired yesterday before the team ends up in last place for the next five years.

the Salary cap raised by 25% since Subban's bridge contract.
in perspective, Domi is paid less than Subban in his bridge deal

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Terrible, terrible contract. A guy coming off ELC had no leverage. Bergevin just gave Domi 10% more money than he gave Subban on his bridge deal.

He is being paid just $600k less than Gallagher got for a 6-year deal that ate up two years of UFA.

The GM is literally lost.

What's he going to pay Danault? $6M??

Guy needs to be fired yesterday before the team ends up in last place for the next five years.
In what world is a 45 pts winger getting paid 3.15M a terrible deal. You said in the other thread he was worth less than 2M. Give your head a shake.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I still like the extension for reasons already mentioned. Its far value now for his past production and potential, in 2 yrs Montreal still has control and not locked in long term if they look a different direction in 2 yrs.

I think both sides wanted the short term deal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
While I'm not saying Domi will be like Marchand, but let's look at his stats

Domi 18 - 34
Marchand 20 - 21.

Again, not saying Domi will be him, just stating you should have used a better argument. Marchand continue to progress (granted with a better team) and Domi didn't.

Hell, Marchand had a 42 point season at the age of 26,
we're freaking out about domi's 45 last year on a bad team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad