Confirmed with Link: Domi signs extension 2y 3.15M per

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Any thoughts on the extension?
Would you have signed an extension for him or let him go RFA? Longer term? More or less $?
if player A is just as good as player B (or even better), why is player A signed for less money ?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's likely Galchenyuk didn't want to be locked up long term. That's one of the problems with the bridge deal, it takes them very close to becoming UFA so if they aren't happy with their role in any way they have a strong incentive to just wait out the last year or two of being restricted.

For Pacioretty, being under paid didn't seem to negatively effect his play on the ice, and it's not like he's going to want 10m a year to make up for his underpaid years. So what exactly is the downside?

Thats something I have wondered. AG always seem to sign short term deals. It takes two to tango and just maybe it was AG that didn't want to sign anything longer term. It wouldn't surprise to find out he was offered the same contract as Gally was but declined.

Some players might think they can take shorter show me deals and get bigger money down the road. Lets not forget Kuch's deal in TB which is also a shorter deal.

With some of the stories about AG's dad, I don't know maybe AG's camp was just hoping to get to UFA to cash in big and didn't want to tie themselves down to long term but smaller $$$.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well, Galchenyuk was a 30 goal scorer, 50pts player, pretty much guaranteed. So you trade him for a player that has a hand injury that is making you weary to commit long term with him and hopefully he can become a 50pt guy for us...:huh:
Doesn't make any sense.

No need to rationalize the team's decision. They have no plan and vision. Their decisions are so random.
Character character character, gets guys like Semin and Kassian. We want players that hate losing, they trade Subban. They want guys who will really want to bleed for the team, let's Markov walk. We need two centers, trades our best blue chip prospect for a winger. Getting centers is nearly impossible, drafts one at 3rd overall, uses him on the wing for years..
The list goes on.

I don't know if its guaranteed. AG has been on a decline since his 30 G season. 18 G this year as our top scoring threat. Maybe he turns it around or maybe not. He only had 30G once. Lots of talk about Max, but he had 1 less goal in 18 less games and has multiple 30G seasons to show that this year was probably a blip.

I still don't think the deal straight up was a good one and I think Domi is more of a player the team could of got for a 2nd rounder and a prospect. But in reality both teams sold low. From AZ perspective they give up a guy who had a great rookie year and was a highly touted prospect for a guy who never took the C role, paid 5 Mill for 2 years and just came of 18G. If AZ traded Domi after his rookie year and if MB traded AG after his 30G season both teams would of got a lot more. But when you wait till your players are at their worst you get back bad returns.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Yeah you're right. When you put it that way, I now see the light in 2013-2014 when Joe Thornton had 11 goals and 65 assists for 76 points in 82 games, that was a bad season. Thank you for helping me understand that goals are everything.

Thornton's rookie year.. not his THIRD! How many goals did Domi have in his second... OH SHIT!! ALSO NINE. Move along. Next.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thornton's rookie year.. not his THIRD! How many goals did Domi have in his second... OH ****!! ALSO NINE. Move along. Next.

That was in 59 games as like Galchenyuk that same year, he missed a good chunk of the year to injury. Although pro-rated it's 13 goals. That year, he was on pace for 53 points.

I don't think Domi will put the puck to the back of the net as often as Galchenyuk. Although I do believe Domi can score way more than 9. But I think some others will benefit from putting the back of the net more because Domi will be able to set them up better.

Reactions: Redux91

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
It would be very tough to move either of those contracts and get much in return, especially after both had injury riddled seasons. Frankly, Price's contract is already well past the point of having negative value. It is hard to blame Bergevin for not moving them.

So there's no way you tank with those 2 on the team.

It's quite easy to blame Bergevin for putting himself in this situation. He gave Price that deal after blowing him up and then traded for Weber's contract.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Pacioretty doesn't seem to be an easy going, laid back guy. He was pissed at his agent without a doubt.

He recently sold his 5000 sq. ft. home and replaced it because it wasn't big enough, according to him. Money is very much in his mind.

I'd be pissed at my agent too. Pacioretty has been well underpaid for a long time now.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
So there's no way you tank with those 2 on the team.

It's quite easy to blame Bergevin for putting himself in this situation. He gave Price that deal after blowing him up and then traded for Weber's contract.
Oh don't get me wrong, you can definitely blame Bergevin for the Weber trade (although paying Price was somewhat more forgivable given the circumstances)... and you can add that to the blame for the Sergachev trade, the Alzner contract, letting Markov and Radulov walk (and now you can add losing Lars Eller to that list), but actually moving the Price and especially the Weber contracts today would be an immense challenge for any GM; on this one thing I don't think Bergevin is at fault.

Now, if he doesn't sign Tavares this summer or things are going to be very dark. At the very least, he has the cap room and the deep-pocketed owner to back a Brinks truck up to Tavares and offer him anything he wants. Then again, if I were Tavares, I wouldn't sign with the Habs; not when their are much more talented teams out there willing to offer him rich contracts as well.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That salary for a perennial 30-38 goal scorer is terribly low. Pacioretty fired his agent not long after. I'm sure he's resentful, and who could blame him.

So why did he only sulk and have a bad year last year and not during the previous 4 years that he had a terribly low salary?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
well coming off a year where he just tied his career high in pts, set a high in assists, team struggling, it certainly is at least logical to assume that his low pay at least was part of the problem.

It's much more logical to think his off year was due to a lack of PMD. He gets most of his points in transition, last year was the first time he didn't have an all star PMD back there.

If it was the contract, why this year and not the year before?

Reactions: Pickles

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So why did he only sulk and have a bad year last year and not during the previous 4 years that he had a terribly low salary?

well logic would say that each year piled on top of one another finally started to eat at him. Early on he went from 1.625M to 4.5M so at first it's logical to think he was ok with things but after several years and then with the Habs sucking etc.. it's not far fetched to think he at least looked at the situation and wasn't happy that he wasn't making more and had another year at a lower salary knowing that if he had another bad year that's going to impact him getting a big deal in a major way.

It's much more logical to think his off year was due to a lack of PMD. He gets most of his points in transition, last year was the first time he didn't have an all star PMD back there.

If it was the contract, why this year and not the year before?

sure but it doesn't mean that his contract impacted his play. He's got a heck of a shot but this year he just didn't seem to have it in him regardless of the reason. He looked a shell of himself in terms of effort, PMD or not.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I'm assuming he's been unhappy about the contract for a long time, as would most athletes in that position.

There have been other situations that probably just added to the discomfort. Remember when the news was full of a story that Therrien called him the worst Habs captain ever?

He was reportedly upset about changes Bergevin made that jettisoned skill players - namely Markov and Radulov. Reporters have written that he asked for a trade.

There's plenty of fuel to stoke that fire.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Thornton's rookie year.. not his THIRD! How many goals did Domi have in his second... OH ****!! ALSO NINE. Move along. Next.

Damn I got served.

When you want to acknowledge anything other than goals I'm preparing several servings for you, 7 course, with desert. (arizona desert pun, where Galchenyuk is playing, thanks guy's I'm here most nights the show is free)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pacioretty doesn't seem to be an easy going, laid back guy. He was pissed at his agent without a doubt.

He recently sold his 5000 sq. ft. home and replaced it because it wasn't big enough, according to him. Money is very much in his mind.
Still doesn't mean he's been sulking about money. Players know. When they sign for long term at a young age, they do it to get early financial security. That, of course, comes at the risk of missing out on extra cash if your performances and cap keep increasing.

The guy is still making 5M. Sure, he can be disappointed, but there is no evidence of sulking due to contract. Firing his agent 5 years ago doesn't prove he's been sulking for years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know if its guaranteed. AG has been on a decline since his 30 G season. 18 G this year as our top scoring threat. Maybe he turns it around or maybe not. He only had 30G once. Lots of talk about Max, but he had 1 less goal in 18 less games and has multiple 30G seasons to show that this year was probably a blip.

I still don't think the deal straight up was a good one and I think Domi is more of a player the team could of got for a 2nd rounder and a prospect. But in reality both teams sold low. From AZ perspective they give up a guy who had a great rookie year and was a highly touted prospect for a guy who never took the C role, paid 5 Mill for 2 years and just came of 18G. If AZ traded Domi after his rookie year and if MB traded AG after his 30G season both teams would of got a lot more. But when you wait till your players are at their worst you get back bad returns.
Sorry, shouldn't have put a coma after the 50pt mark. That is what I was referring to in terms of guarantee. He'll give you 50 pts. He put up 56pts, 44 in 61gp, and 51pts in the past three years.

Sure, neither player were sold after their career best year. No need to downplay Chuck though, he's coming off 19 goals, but still put up 51pts. He did it while being flip flopped up and down the roster senselessly. Also, Galch has played well at center, we just have a completely stupid management group.
Arizona got a good return for Domi.

Reactions: Pickles

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Still doesn't mean he's been sulking about money. Players know. When they sign for long term at a young age, they do it to get early financial security. That, of course, comes at the risk of missing out on extra cash if your performances and cap keep increasing.

The guy is still making 5M. Sure, he can be disappointed, but there is no evidence of sulking due to contract. Firing his agent 5 years ago doesn't prove he's been sulking for years.

It wasn't my intent to imply he's fixated on it. But with the team going downhill and the rumours of trades looming, I'm sure it's on his mind as it would be for anyone.

We don't know him personally, but he certainly appears to be a serious man rather than a light hearted one.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It wasn't my intent to imply he's fixated on it. But with the team going downhill and the rumours of trades looming, I'm sure it's on his mind as it would be for anyone.

We don't know him personally, but he certainly appears to be a serious man rather than a light hearted one.
His deal was signed years ago, I don't think it's on his mind.
I think right now he's focused on coming in ready to perform well, and that will lead to a massive raise next summer. I don't believe he's sulking.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
His deal was signed years ago, I don't think it's on his mind.
I think right now he's focused on coming in ready to perform well, and that will lead to a massive raise next summer. I don't believe he's sulking.

I don't think I used the word sulking. I would guess he's unsettled. Montreal is not the stable team it was 5 years ago.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think I used the word sulking. I would guess he's unsettled. Montreal is not the stable team it was 5 years ago.
My point is his previous contract is not on his mind. It's been years, and he's still paid 5M.
I think he's thinking about his next contract, not his previous one.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
My point is his previous contract is not on his mind. It's been years, and he's still paid 5M.
I think he's thinking about his next contract, not his previous one.

I think we agree but are approaching from different directions. Let's say he's doubly motivated because of his last contract.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think we agree but are approaching from different directions. Let's say he's doubly motivated because of his last contract.
I think he's got extra motivation because it'll be the first time he could possibly really hit the jackpot, sure.
But I also don't believe he was unmotivated last year. I think the difference in his production comes from the lack of talent the team had. Weber back brings a minimum of puck movement from the back end, that will help Max who is good off the rush. Otherwise, he's become more of a perimeter player for a long while now, and it started after he mentioned how he'd have to change his game because he was getting injured too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad