Confirmed with Link: Domi signs extension 2y 3.15M per

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Because no one knows exactly how good he is or can be, including Domi & his agent.

He could be a middle 6 forward that puts 45-50pts a year or maybe a top 6 forward that puts up 60-70pts.

Or, maybe he goes downhill like Ryan Strome did & becomes a 35pt player.

The short term is in the best interests of the club & Domi.

If you don't have a good idea on what he will become and think he might turn into a 35pt player then it makes no sense to trade a guy whose consistently put up 50+ points.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If you don't have a good idea on what he will become and think he might turn into a 35pt player then it makes no sense to trade a guy whose consistently put up 50+ points.

Which is why the board is overwhelming pissed at the trade.

I think the skills are there for Domi to at least hang in at that 40-50 pt level, which is what they're paying him for.

Question is can he grow into that 60pt+ player?

Doubt it. He's a guy who should be on a wait and see contract.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
$3.15 for a 9 goal scorer. People are happy with this???

Relax a little,
Its 3.15 million for a 45-52 pt player whos still only 23, Gallagher career high this year 54 points makes 3.75 mill, galchenyuk career high points 56, makes 4.9 million

i LOATHE defending any aspect of this trade because i was definitely a galchenyuk fan, ..but we need to relax on the domi hate a little ... everyone keeps looking at just 9 goals and thinks BUST, but the kid is already borderline 50 pts with the best (hopefully) yet to come

Arizona had 0 leadership last year in the locker room last year, one can only hope veteran presence like weber and price help this year...and hopefully max gone so he doesnt rub off...

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Man... that Shaw trade.. I think it was his worst move personally. We had Girard and DeBrincat in our sights.... and all this for freakin' Andrew Shaw.... right now I'm going on CapFriendly to dream up scenarios where MB can salvage the situation by fixing the C problem. Trade Patch+picks+prospects for O'reilly, sign Tavares to an absurd amount he can't say no to... and I can't find a place for Shaw on any top 9 even after having traded Patch ...

LW : Domi, Drouin, Byron, D-lo
RW: Gallagher, Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak

Where do you play Shaw ? Instead of D-lo or Scherbak ? Yeah sure I guess... but really at 3.9M cap hit he's completely unwelcome even if he wasn't made of glass. Just a stupid horrible trade made only because MB had fallen in love with the player in Chicago because he had vouched for him and drafted him.

Right!
This is an other example, like the one posted by @Andrei79, of one of Bergevin's "what the hell was he thinking" moves.

We need a nickname for all these jaw-dropping, face-palming, eye-rolling moves.

Better yet, I want to see a 2 minute segment with ESPN's NFL Primetime crew listing all of Bergevin's trades. After each trade summary, the crew would shout "C'mon, man!!".

"Bergevin traded a much younger norris trophy winning defenseman and fan favourite, PK Subban, for a player who is clearly past his prime and looked tired in the playoffs!
C'mon, man!!"

"Bergevin traded a young talented prospect who, by Bergevin's own admission, fits the profile of a player that every GM is looking for , for a small winger with a history of pouting and deemed expendable by a team with some depth.
C'mon, man!!"

"Bergevin mismanaged then traded a player capable of scoring 30 goals, and had successful stints while playing center for - get this - another smallish winger.
C'mon, man!!"

"
Bergevin traded 2 2nd round picks for Andrew Shaw who..
[interrupting] C'mon, man!!"

Reactions: Andrei79

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Relax a little,
Its 3.15 million for a 45-52 pt player whos still only 23, Gallagher career high this year 54 points makes 3.75 mill, galchenyuk career high points 56, makes 4.9 million

i LOATHE defending any aspect of this trade because i was definitely a galchenyuk fan, ..but we need to relax on the domi hate a little ... everyone keeps looking at just 9 goals and thinks BUST, but the kid is already borderline 50 pts with the best (hopefully) yet to come

Arizona had 0 leadership last year in the locker room last year, one can only hope veteran presence like weber and price help this year...and hopefully max gone so he doesnt rub off...
Domi actually needs a MaxPac epiphany. MaxPac used to be a pass first guy with no indication he would become a goalscorer.

Domi needs a Max Pac mindset or else he is a one dimensional, dime-a-dozen, passable assist producer. Just breaking 25 goals would make him deadly. And he can chill out on being the next Claude Lemieux lest he break his hand again.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Domi actually needs a MaxPac epiphany. MaxPac used to be a pass first guy with no indication he would become a goalscorer.

Domi needs a Max Pac mindset or else he is a one dimensional, dime-a-dozen, passable assist producer. Just breaking 25 goals would make him deadly. And he can chill out on being the next Claude Lemieux lest he break his hand again.

Yeah we really need it to happen, if domi never reaches at LEAST 25 goals this trade may finally be the one that does it for ol Bergy boy

If we get a center tho... our list of wingers looks suddenly real good with domi,lehkonen,gallagher, scherbak hopefully and maybe even drouin depending on who we get, and ..sigh..maybe even max

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
$3.15 for a 9 goal scorer. People are happy with this???

Yeah you're right. When you put it that way, I now see the light in 2013-2014 when Joe Thornton had 11 goals and 65 assists for 76 points in 82 games, that was a bad season. Thank you for helping me understand that goals are everything.

Reactions: Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I finally get to join the dance. It was my daughter's birthday party and I never got the chance to check this out.

I like the deal. Good cap hit and he has another four years before he's a UFA. So after this "show me" bridge deal, the Habs still have control.

I am happy Domi is with Montreal. I've always liked this player.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I finally get to join the dance. It was my daughter's birthday party and I never got the chance to check this out.

I like the deal. Good cap hit and he has another four years before he's a UFA. So after this "show me" bridge deal, the Habs still have control.

I am happy Domi is with Montreal. I've always liked this player.

Man nothing better than a daughters birthday for the chance to the dadest dad you can be. usually with a few face palms from daughter.

I think there is a high chance Galchenyuk would have walked as a UFA so if you consider that, we just got four years of a controlled player as you said. To me the holy grail is controlled players, after that is players you locked into long term contracts before they broke out, after that are players who are not good enough to be highly desirable as a UFA. Everyone else is a risk.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm not sure what the point of trading for Domi is if you're only going to give him a short term deal.

I mean either you believe in him or you don't, if you don't believe in him why trade for him. And if you do believe in him, why not give him a long term deal and get him at a cheap rate before he breaks out.

The best case right now is that Domi becomes the player he can and in 2 years time is looking for 8m+. Why not just give him a 5-6 year deal now at say 5m, then if he breaks out you've got him on a great contract.

Could you imagine the masses response if they had done that?
The, I hate MB crowd, would go nuts lol. Too long, too much...
Its a good deal for both sides. Kid has a passion for the game. And has to prove he can rebound from s couple down years.
As a LK season tic holder saw him live over well over 100x. If he is healthy he will help the club win games. AG mailed it in.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Regardless of the outcome of this trade, we gave up the more valuable piece. It started with the Kristo Thomas trade. It didn’t matter that both busted, our piece wasn’t struggling at that point and theirs was on the path to busting. Both busted but we lost value. This is something Bergevin does constantly.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Regardless of the outcome of this trade, we gave up the more valuable piece. It started with the Kristo Thomas trade. It didn’t matter that both busted, our piece wasn’t struggling at that point and theirs was on the path to busting. Both busted but we lost value. This is something Bergevin does constantly.

That's an odd example.

Kristo 2008 2nd round pick 56th overall who never played an NHL game ever traded for Thomas a 2nd round pick 40th overall in a later draft(2010) played in the NHL and is still in north America.

How exactly did we lose value? We got younger, got a higher picked player and a player who actually played in NHL more than our pick.

They both busted but the trade isn't exactly a loss.

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
One thing people tend to forget is Galchenyuk has played six NHL seasons yet some of us still treat him as a prospect. A young guy at work commenting on this trade saying Galchenyuk will be a good vet for Arizona. I nearly called him out then thought well to young guy Galchenyuk could be considered a vet.

I strongly believe that after six seasons the player we know is the player Galchenyuk is. We will see how he does with another team but I expect the same player I've known. He will have up years and down years but Galchenyuk isn't going to be a perennial dominating force.

Domi has only played three seasons on a team that is at least equally as bad as us, likely worse. With Domi we don't know the player, he could blossom he really could.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
One thing people tend to forget is Galchenyuk has played six NHL seasons yet some of us still treat him as a prospect. A young guy at work commenting on this trade saying Galchenyuk will be a good vet for Arizona. I nearly called him out then thought well to young guy Galchenyuk could be considered a vet.

I strongly believe that after six seasons the player we know is the player Galchenyuk is. We will see how he does with another team but I expect the same player I've known. He will have up years and down years but Galchenyuk isn't going to be a perennial dominating force.

Domi has only played three seasons on a team that is at least equally as bad as us, likely worse. With Domi we don't know the player, he could blossom he really could.

Some people also forget galchenyuk last played C full time when he was what, 16? He's 24 now...

Reactions: 417

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Some people also forget galchenyuk last played C full time when he was what, 16? He's 24 now...

Right, in a respectful manner I'm not sure whether you are trying to prove that because the last time he played center full time he was a kid in bush league, as such he is no longer a center. Or that because we never played him at center he could still be a good center and we just don't know it.

Reactions: Redux91

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Right, in a respectful manner I'm not sure whether you are trying to prove that because the last time he played center full time he was a kid in bush league, as such he is no longer a center. Or that because we never played him at center he could still be a good center and we just don't know it.

I'm just iterating that it may not be him anymore. Whether it's habs fault or how life planned it, it's been 8 years

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Ya I think people need to accept that Galchenyuk is what he is. A 25g/50p guy who is a sniper on your PP. Good player, but Domi is the one here who has upside.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

What does it matter what HF boards's response would've been? And for the record I would imagine it would've been a lot like how people reacted to Drouin signing a 5 year deal after getting traded.

Its a good deal for both sides. Kid has a passion for the game. And has to prove he can rebound from s couple down years.

It's not a good deal for us. Either he becomes the player he can be in which case we end up paying top-dollar for him rather then having him at a good caphit. Or he doesn't improve and we've made another terrible trade which makes it irrelevant if he's overpaid.

As a LK season tic holder saw him live over well over 100x. If he is healthy he will help the club win games. AG mailed it in.

He's been in the NHL 3 years now, what he did in juniors is irrelevant. He can be a good player that helps us win games, but in all likelyhood we gave up the better player who could do more to help us win games.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
heard the same about Shaw and his PO heroics (didnt play all the games vs NYR)
heard the same about Weber alpha leadership (team kept sinking with him, made 0 difference)

will it happen with Domi ?? haha! maybe, the great MB keep trying, he'll eventually get one right... even if only by accident...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad