Confirmed with Link: Domi signs extension 2y 3.15M per

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think he's got extra motivation because it'll be the first time he could possibly really hit the jackpot, sure.
But I also don't believe he was unmotivated last year. I think the difference in his production comes from the lack of talent the team had. Weber back brings a minimum of puck movement from the back end, that will help Max who is good off the rush. Otherwise, he's become more of a perimeter player for a long while now, and it started after he mentioned how he'd have to change his game because he was getting injured too often.

I alluded to that in another post. No one could be thrilled with the downgrading at most positions by Bergevin.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm assuming he's been unhappy about the contract for a long time, as would most athletes in that position.

There have been other situations that probably just added to the discomfort. Remember when the news was full of a story that Therrien called him the worst Habs captain ever?

He was reportedly upset about changes Bergevin made that jettisoned skill players - namely Markov and Radulov. Reporters have written that he asked for a trade.

There's plenty of fuel to stoke that fire.

And all those things are more likely then his pay. Though the biggest is going to be the loss of Subban and Markov since they contributed to something like 70% of his point.

I don't see why we would point to something that hasn't changed as the reason for his poor play when there are a bunch of things that did change and provide a more logical explanation.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
And all those things are more likely then his pay. Though the biggest is going to be the loss of Subban and Markov since they contributed to something like 70% of his point.

I don't see why we would point to something that hasn't changed as the reason for his poor play when there are a bunch of things that did change and provide a more logical explanation.

I wouldn't think regretting a past contract would affect his on ice play. It would certainly be on his mind as something to rectify in the future. He can't be forced to sign a new contract and Pacioretty can go straight to UFA after this season if he chooses.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I wouldn't think regretting a past contract would affect his on ice play. It would certainly be on his mind as something to rectify in the future. He can't be forced to sign a new contract and Pacioretty can go straight to UFA after this season if he chooses.

So why did that regret not effect his play for the first 4 years of the contract?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That's exactly what the bolded says. You misunderstood my meaning.

So he was playing below his true level from 2012-2016? I mean the guy was 5th in goal scored in that time period and only 5 goals behind 2nd and 19th in points and played almost that whole time with Desharnais as his center. It seems strange he could have played better if he was making an extra couple million.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Max has improved upon his all round game, using his two way game in becoming a good PK. Also becoming proficient physically, he's become a much more complete player, which is necessary to being a playoff performer. People say here he doesn't perform in big games, yet he scored series GWG's twice the last time the Habs won two series. Fact is hockey is a team game and the Habs haven't had the effort necessary from all the players, IMHO!!!... Galchenyuk's efforts were a prime example on many nights, his two way game was invisible. Core group players like that spell defeat for team's in the playoff's, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So he was playing below his true level from 2012-2016? I mean the guy was 5th in goal scored in that time period and only 5 goals behind 2nd and 19th in points and played almost that whole time with Desharnais as his center. It seems strange he could have played better if he was making an extra couple million.

I never implied the contract was impairing his performance on the ice. How many times must I explain that you misunderstood?

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Max has improved upon his all round game, using his two way game in becoming a good PK. Also becoming proficient physically, he's become a much more complete player, which is necessary to being a playoff performer. People say here he doesn't perform in big games, yet he scored series GWG's twice the last time the Habs won two series. Fact is hockey is a team game and the Habs haven't had the effort necessary from all the players, IMHO!!!... Galchenyuk's efforts were a prime example on many nights, his two way game was invisible. Core group players like that spell defeat for team's in the playoff's, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:
are you talking about the same Max here as we do?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Max Domi played on average 3 seconds a game on the pk last season.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Going from watching skilled #27's like Kovalev and Galchenyuk the last decade to now seeing Alzner rolling around on the ice wearing #27 is going to feel different.
Yup 27 won't be on the half wall of the PP that's for sure if he's even out there at all lol

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
This season could be a bit of a problem for the Habs trainers, finding jerseys that aren't taken or retired for the new players. Daniel Audette #24 - Philip Danault, Jake Evans #18 (Serge Savard) Will Bitten & Filip Zadina & Ryan Poehling #11 - (Brendan Gallagher), Brady Tkachuk#27 - (Karl Alzner), Max Domi #13 - Michael Pezzetta#13, many other promising prospects that may be joining the Habs lineup, nice problem for the coaches & the Habs. I'm sure any of our prospects that make the Habs lineup can always pick a new number happily though.
The Habs centers of interest vying for positions at Training Camp:
Ryan Poehling #11
Will Bitten #11
Daniel Audette #24
Jake Evans #18
Micheal Pezzetta #13
Lukas Vejdemo #44
Joni Ikonen #61
Alex Alain #7
Adam Cracknell #27
Hayden Verbeek #38
Jeremy Gregoire #37
Byron Froese #42
Micheal McCarron #25

That's 13 prospects vying for a center position with the Habs, not including the players currently playing center for the Habs. No lack of competition due to many draft picks becoming pro's at once, seems the Habs have definitely been trying to find a quality center. Should make for really good exhibition games in September/October.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad