Sportsnet: Domi calls Scott Stevens out as a sandbagger!

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Third man in penalties happened lots back then too. Guys would just come in swinging if they didn’t like who a player grabbed to punch out. It was dirty as hell. Underhanded and low was common. Part of the sideshow.

I’m glad its gone. I read a article of a down and out player with brain damage ways back. I liked the fighting as much as anyone but not after that article. Forget his name now. Wasn’t nice anyways
Yes 3rd man in was not unheard of for sure but still dirty. It's been awhile I'm sure happened with others to but to see that video of self proclaimed "wanna know me gotta go me" Domi hiding behind a player after being 3rd man in was pathetic. I did enjoy the fights as well I must admit but ya I didn't realize the damage these guys did to themselves. I just wish players would respect each other more be physical but not dirty. Then again I'd be happy just to see hockey again now. Cheers

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Never understood why people get all worked up over the Habs thing. He’s supporting his son. There are plenty of actual reasons not to like him. That’s not one.

Here is a piece from an interview he gave sportsnet shortly after Max was traded to MTL

Even though he is from Ontario and played 777 of his 1,020 regular-season games for the Leafs, Domi said he hasn’t thought twice about cheering for the Canadiens — and not only because his son is on the team.

It is not “weird” to see Max wearing the colours of a team that was an arch-rival when he was playing, he said.

“It was actually emotional because I was happy for him — original six. It’s a historical franchise,” he said. “I grew up idolizing Guy Lafleur and the Montreal Canadiens and the winning tradition. I played for Toronto, but Montreal was always my team as a kid, and Guy was always my favourite player.”

Nothing against idolizing Lafleur as he was an amazing hockey player...but the bolded...yeah long walk off a short pier for the little d-bag

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

Here’s what neidermayer got the elbow for from domi. Keep rattling off domi haters.

Yeah that was tame in comparison to the headshot he gave Niedermayer...dirty but tame in comparison...at least Niedermayers was close to the play as opposed to Domi getting a defenseless guy once the play was gone...he's a garbage human being...it's ok...not every guy who has worn the blue and white are great people...I loved the fights too you know

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Here is a piece from an interview he gave sportsnet shortly after Max was traded to MTL

Even though he is from Ontario and played 777 of his 1,020 regular-season games for the Leafs, Domi said he hasn’t thought twice about cheering for the Canadiens — and not only because his son is on the team.

It is not “weird” to see Max wearing the colours of a team that was an arch-rival when he was playing, he said.

“It was actually emotional because I was happy for him — original six. It’s a historical franchise,” he said. “I grew up idolizing Guy Lafleur and the Montreal Canadiens and the winning tradition. I played for Toronto, but Montreal was always my team as a kid, and Guy was always my favourite player.”

Nothing against idolizing Lafleur as he was an amazing hockey player...but the bolded...yeah long walk off a short pier for the little d-bag
Yeah really weird but true. He played for Belle River as a kid and wore da Canadians logo on his jersey for his entire kid life. Much like lots of Toronto kids where da Leaf with Marlies (but there are some in TO who wear the JRC Habs logo too). As a hockey player in Ontario you can't control who drafts you.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Domi was nowhere near a clean player, but Stevens? He's the biggest dirtbag of all time.
I don't recall him having a 'dirtbag' reputation.
How did you come to that conclusion?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Is there a quote of Domi calling him a 'sandbagger'?
Curious what the context was, seems an odd choice of names.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He was literally trying to kill people at times. Very late, dangerous hits, aim for the head. Paul Kariya, Lindros, Langkow, Kozlov, the list goes on.
True but he always hit players head on and I don't believe he was ever suspended for any of them.
Think the 'biggest dirtbag of all time ' is severely overstated.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He was literally trying to kill people at times. Very late, dangerous hits, aim for the head. Paul Kariya, Lindros, Langkow, Kozlov, the list goes on.
Unfortunately you can't go back in time and put finger on one guy. In was a much different game. For about 40 years between 1960s late to 1990s late the game was played and referred differently. Spears to nuts in front of net was called clearing da net. Rubbing a guys head into glass on boards was called forechecking. Clutching/grabbing a guy so he could not get up any speed in neutral zone was called backchecking hard. Face washing on boards so a guy could not see da puck and easier to be rubbed out was called defensive excellence. Goons were like police officers to keep da peace. Coaches used to be able to release da police. and most of time they fought each other.

Reactions: ACC1224

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
True but he always hit players head on and I don't believe he was ever suspended for any of them.
Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. He knew the effects his hits had on his opponents, that they were career changing/ending or worse, and still followed through every time. He wasn't hitting to rattle a guy, or make him sore for a while.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
To think they made a rule to stop the can opener for brian McCabe instead of his predation for peoples heads. Yep it was different times alright. Not when it came to centering out leafs though. Komarov too for how he wore his helmet for frig sake. Hasek used to throw his stick or lay it in the crease, chara still gets away with elbows etc etc

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
To think they made a rule to stop the can opener for brian McCabe instead of his predation for peoples heads. Yep it was different times alright. Not when it came to centering out leafs though. Komarov too for how he wore his helmet for frig sake. Hasek used to throw his stick or lay it in the crease, chara still gets away with elbows etc etc

kids were taught to hit with the shoulder, Stevens was a gifted hitter, McCabe was tripping people, it was a penalty

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Gifted piece of crap

everyone cheers muzzin and Clark 17 back in the day when they makes a big hits, Stevens just did it often and was strong asf, whats the prob?

Domi and other tough guys considered themselves untouchable when it came to receiving hits from non tough guys, its how it was back then and why domi is still bitter lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad