Sportsnet: Domi calls Scott Stevens out as a sandbagger!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Love it. Stevens was running our players that series. So we got theirs.

Not what happened. I heard him interviewed about it once and he admitted he let his emotions get the best of him. Crowd was screaming his name, he was at the top of his career and his ego took control. It was such a douche move. Even at the time in the middle of a playoff battle I was so ashamed. It's likely the biggest POS move in modern hockey history. Only thing I can think of that compares is Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon (which I also had the displeasure of watching live) but he's not our baggage.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not what happened. I heard him interviewed about it once and he admitted he let his emotions get the best of him. Crowd was screaming his name, he was at the top of his career and his ego took control. It was such a douche move. Even at the time in the middle of a playoff battle I was so ashamed. It's likely the biggest POS move in modern hockey history. Only thing I can think of that compares is Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon (which I also had the displeasure of watching live) but he's not our baggage.
You actually think he’s my baggage. Doesn’t fizz me one bit bro

Reactions: Its not your fault

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It’s hard to look at this incident and be proud that this is a Leaf player doing this shit:

If you excuse it or it makes you proud.... there’s something seriously wrong with you.

I wouldn't excuse it, it was stupid though it's worth pointing out (since so many forget) that it was a response to Niedermayer cross checking him in the face, opening him up in more than one area and getting no penalty for it. To add to that (since most people also don't remember), Niedermayer had a history of being a hatchet man with his stick. His two handed over the head chop on Worrell was far more egregious than the Brashear incident (which gets blown to the moon over the result rather than the action).

Stupid move by Tie 100% though like a lot of the worst incidents, if the officials do their job, this likely never happens. It isn't like we don't all know officiating is a complete double standard based on name.

Reactions: 8816 others

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
It’s hard to look at this incident and be proud that this is a Leaf player doing this shit:

If you excuse it or it makes you proud.... there’s something seriously wrong with you.

Nothing wrong with that.
Boys will be boys.
Never cared for Niedermier.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I wouldn't excuse it, it was stupid though it's worth pointing out (since so many forget) that it was a response to Niedermayer cross checking him in the face, opening him up in more than one area and getting no penalty for it. To add to that (since most people also don't remember), Niedermayer had a history of being a hatchet man with his stick. His two handed over the head chop on Worrell was far more egregious than the Brashear incident (which gets blown to the moon over the result rather than the action).

Stupid move by Tie 100% though like a lot of the worst incidents, if the officials do their job, this likely never happens. It isn't like we don't all know officiating is a complete double standard based on name.
Solid take.
Like.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Players have responsibility. Not buying the officials must do their job argument therefore I excuse Tie.

And yes, that’s your argument since you link the two.

Sorry. I’m not sold.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Real men have mush for brains and die from dementia
No.
Not what I meant.
Eddie Shore/Ace Bailey.
Wayne Maki/Ted Green.
Bill Barber and the Broad Street Bullies going after Orr and his knees.
Cook and Savard.
Maloney and Glennie.
Salming and Bridgeman.
Tons more.
Back when there was hate/anger/emotion/heart/character/toughness and fearlessness.
I miss the passion and all of the above.
Hockey has always been a violent sport.
Just listen to the crowd after a big hit ( clean or not ).
Or a fight
Fans LOVE that.
Myself included.
It's only until this rather tender new breed of fan/player are trying to make this a no hit league that hockey has become WAY more boring and robotic .
If one didn't live through that era they really don't know just how boring the game is now.
And how great it was back then.
We disagree.
Cool.
I respect your opinion but I just see it differently.
No big deal.
Just an opinion.

Reactions: baton elevated

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
View attachment 338143

Domi no longer has my respect. Lost all ”leaf” credibility for me.

Yeah nope...unless you sign a contract with them (aka gilmour) no real Leaf would be caught dead in the bleu blanc et rouge...he's an embarassment to my Leaf memories honestly...terrible human and he was willing to put on those colors just because his son got traded there...yeah take a hike tie...a long walk off a short pier preferably...

Even though he is from Ontario and played 777 of his 1,020 regular-season games for the Leafs, Domi said he hasn’t thought twice about cheering for the Canadiens — and not only because his son is on the team.

It is not “weird” to see Max wearing the colours of a team that was an arch-rival when he was playing, he said.

“It was actually emotional because I was happy for him — original six. It’s a historical franchise,” he said. “I grew up idolizing Guy Lafleur and the Montreal Canadiens and the winning tradition. I played for Toronto, but Montreal was always my team as a kid, and Guy was always my favourite player.”

Yeah no love for him here...

Reactions: phillipmike

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Players have responsibility. Not buying the officials must do their job argument therefore I excuse Tie.

And yes, that’s your argument since you link the two.

Sorry. I’m not sold.

I could care less whether you are sold. Both Tie and the officials are responsible for their actions. Welcome to the adult world.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Some boys are Men.

Some are D-bags.

We had a D-bag.
Yeah
I loved Domi.
I also didn't like him.
That was hockey back then is all I meant.
I remember Probert headbutting Bobby McGill ( sp ).
Probert had his helmet on.
Bobby did not.
Tons of dirty tough hockey back then.
And fans could hardly wait for puck drop.
The Samuelson mugging was a d bag move too.
You had to answer for your actions though.
For me.
I loved that style of hockey.
Very entertaining.
Not just the hits/fights.
The passion/hate/anger/character/heart.
Kinda like Torts said a couple years ago.
Hockey is so emotionless now it is way less fun to watch.
Just my opinion.
You're a big dog on here so I respect your opinion as you always seem to post exactly what you think.
I like but I got no like button.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
you have got to be kidding me pal.
Have a look at how Hockey used to be played.
I'm not kidding you.
Dirty play?
For sure.
Out of the norm?
Not so much.
Just the way it was.
WAY more fun to watch as well.
Emotions ran high.
You can hardly get a pulse outta this current up and coming generation.
Super boring.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Have a look at how Hockey used to be played.
I'm not kidding you.
Dirty play?
For sure.
Out of the norm?
Not so much.
Just the way it was.
WAY more fun to watch as well.
Emotions ran high.
You can hardly get a pulse outta this current up and coming generation.
Super boring.

You said there was nothing wrong with it, which is why I replied. Do you stand by that? That was not the norm back then. Elbowing someone in the head like that was hardly normal. Extremely dirty play, and Domi’s crocodile tears did not make me feel the least bit bad for him. He had it out for Niedermayer, that’s why he did it. Nice to see some Leaf fans can admit it was wrong.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I could care less whether you are sold. Both Tie and the officials are responsible for their actions. Welcome to the adult world.

Seems more like welcome to the flimsy justification world.

Tie is responsible BUT.... c’mon man.

He’s responsible. End of sentence.

It was gutless. Chicken shit. And an action we want nowhere in our hockey club.

Don’t bother saying he is responsible for a sucker elbow to the head if you are going to blame an official for not issuing a 2 minute penalty somewhere in the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad